Summer residents and gardeners begin preparing for sowing work in late winter - early spring. Even before the snow melts and warm days finally come, they need to check the seeds for germination and plant seedlings. The execution time of these works varies and depends on various factors: the timing of planting in the ground, especially the growth of vegetables and flowers.
When to plant seedlings?
Seeds are not planted immediately into the ground due to the fact that the seedlings are more adapted to various negative factors. Any weather changes or pests can cause them to fail. Plants transplanted from pots are more resistant. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cabbage, many varieties of flowers are always grown in this way.
In order to understand which plants need to be grown in the form of seedlings, just look at the seeds. The larger they are, the greater the likelihood that something will grow after sowing in open ground.
Determine what and when to plant is simple enough - there is an algorithm for growing seedlings and determining the timing. The first thing to make a start from is the information on the package with seeds. If you look at the back of the bag, you can see the scale that determines the timing of planting on seedlings and transplanting into the ground. Each plant has individual characteristics of ripening. Therefore, it is important to focus on the information specified by the manufacturer.
On the other hand, you can often buy seeds from your hands or use your own, collected last season. In this case, the timing will have to independently. Approximate dates of planting seeds for seedlings - February-March.
When do you need to plant seeds?
First of all, you need to build on the date of landing in the ground. Do not plant seedlings too early. If the ground is protected, then the finished seedlings can be planted as early as the 20th of May. From the approximate planting date, you need to subtract the number of days that the plant needs for the growing season. Also, by this time it is necessary to add 10-15 days to the seed germination. For example, the growing season of early ripe tomatoes is about 90 days. The first seedlings of tomatoes will appear in 5-10 days. It means that it is necessary to take more than 3 months from the approximate time of landing in the ground. It turns out that the early tomatoes according to this scheme can be planted on seedlings in March. Of course, dates are conditional, because largely depend on your climatic conditions. The average time for landing in the ground is as follows:
- Cabbage - 50 days after the first shoots
- Tomatoes and pepper - in 60-70 days
- Cucumbers - in 40 days
Features of growing flowers
Heat-loving flowers are not recommended to be planted before the beginning of June. In many regions, night frosts are still possible at this time. Conversely, cold-resistant varieties are planted in May. Among these plants - petunia. This flower has many varieties. In February-March, it is best to plant on the seedlings those species that form the cascade forms with large flowers. These varieties are planted in the ground in May.
The easiest way to understand that petunia is ready for transplantation is to look at the condition of its roots. Usually the flower is planted in separate bowls with holes in the bottom. When the roots begin to be seen from the bottoms in May, petunia seedlings are planted in the flower beds.
All beloved unpretentious marigolds are sown at home in early April for seedlings. They are thermophilic and do not tolerate frost. Therefore, they are planted in the ground in June, when the soil warms up and frosts will pass. It is believed that the seedlings of marigolds best take root, the shoots of which appeared about 1.5 months before planting in the ground. Asters are also planted in April, but they are planted in flower beds in mid-May.
What seedlings are planted in February and March?
- Most seedlings for greenhouses begin to grow in February. As for the early varieties of vegetables, at this time you can begin the main preparatory work for sowing. Almost all the seeds of eggplants, tomatoes, cucumbers, regardless of whether we are going to grow them in the greenhouse or planted in the ground, it is necessary to sort and hold in the heat. Damaged seeds are better to throw.
- In February, it is customary to plant early cabbage and celery root on seedlings. Another vegetable that is recommended to be planted at this time is eggplant. Its seeds germinate more slowly than peppers and tomatoes - in 10-15 days. Moreover, forcing eggplant seedlings also occurs at a slow pace. Therefore, in order for the sprouts to form the ovary before August, it is better to plant seeds for seedlings before February 15.
- It's hard enough to grow a chernushka onion. Seeds germinate slowly and the crop, respectively, does not ripen early. It is planted on seedlings also in February, additionally preparing seeds. Seeds are covered with a shell that slows the spelling. Therefore, they are spread on a rag and dipped in a solution of potassium permanganate. Seeds are kept in solution for about 20 minutes. Then they are washed with warm water.
- After that, the processed kernels of onion chernushki put on a saucer, cover with gauze or film and put in heat. When they hatch, put on seedlings. Also, to strengthen the seedlings of black onions, you can use a solution of micronutrients for flowers.
- In February, it is customary to plant peppers on seedlings. This vegetable culture is quite thermophilic. It is never planted with seeds in open ground - they simply cannot grow anything from them. For the middle band, the last week of February is considered the optimal time for planting on the seedlings of pepper. In earlier periods it can be planted only for growing in a greenhouse.
- For those who want to grow a lot of greenery, it is also recommended to grow basil and lettuce seedlings in February. You can sow dill and parsley. Even if you change your mind about planting seedlings, it will be possible to use it for culinary purposes, simply by cutting off the required number of boxes or dishes.
March is the optimal time for planting seedlings. Many manufacturers on seed packages indicate that tomatoes should be planted in this way in April. It is better to move the dates at the beginning of March. Most gardeners plant tomato seeds in the interval from 5 to 10 March. This postponement is due to the fact that this vegetable crop is prone to late blight. Early seedlings are more resistant to the disease.
For those who want to harvest early cabbage, it is recommended to start growing seedlings in mid-March. In the ground it is usually planted 65 days after the first shoots. In order for early cabbage to grow, it is better to choose cold-resistant varieties.
Whenever you plant seedlings, make sure that by the time of landing in the ground it was not overgrown. You can slightly shift the time, because low-grown plants are less susceptible to disease.
Seedlings should be placed in a well-lit place and protected from drafts.
If you planted seeds in February, then use an additional highlight. Seedlings may not have enough light due to the short light day. You can use multiple lamps.
When to plant seedlings? Calculate the exact date of planting seeds is very simple. Schedule the estimated time of landing in the ground, taking into account the heat-loving and climatic conditions of your region. From this date, you need to subtract the duration of the forcing + number of days for seed germination. Thus, we get the exact date of sowing vegetables and flowers for seedlings.