Crocuses are rather common lately decorative flowers that can be grown on home plots, flower beds, etc. Crocuses can be given instead of roses, tulips, lilies and other flowers that women are used to. snacks.
Crocus, or saffron, is an ornamental bulbous plant. Crocuses usually reach a height of 25 cm in height. Leaves are narrow and grow straight from the bulb.
The flowers are tubular. Have 6 petals. The color of the flowers is white, yellow, blue, blue and purple. The unopened flower of saffron is very similar to a tulip bud. Crocuses bloom depending on the species in early spring or late autumn.
Crocus bulbs can be eaten. They are edible.
The fruit is formed under the ground, and then ripens on the surface. If crocus seeds are not picked in time, it will multiply by itself. The box (the fruit of saffron) will open by itself, and the plant will multiply by self-sowing.
When to plant crocuses?
The best dates for planting crocuses are the end of summer and the beginning of September. Planting dates depend on the species. Spring-flowering varieties are planted later in early September. Autumn-flowering crocuses - earlier, in early August.
It is important to prepare the ground for planting crocuses. Fertilize the land on which the flowers will grow, with dung, bone meal and trace elements.
How to plant crocuses?
- Remove the topsoil before planting. Pour a small layer of fine gravel (about 3 cm).
- Spread the corm of crocus on a layer of gravel at intervals of about 10 cm.
- Cover the top again with a layer of small gravel, to a height of 2.5-3cm.
- Then cover the drainage with a layer of soil that was originally removed from this place.
- With this drainage, crocus bulbs develop better. They are also very easy to dig.
- Place for landing choose sunny, open. Only some types of crocuses prefer small shading or shade.
- The planting depth of saffron bulbs is about 6-8 cm. The distance between the plants should be no more than 10 cm, but it is better not to plant the bulbs too close.
Crocuses are beautiful spring flowers. There are species that bloom in the fall. Crocus (saffron) is not necessary to buy in the store, you can grow them yourself. To do this, it is important to plant them correctly and in time, select a suitable place and prepare the ground for planting.
See also: How to care for crocuses?
Crocuses are used in the decoration of flower beds, borders, etc. They can be safely presented to women instead of the usual tulips and carnations.