Sooner or later, scum or carbon is formed on the sole of the iron, which is very difficult to clean and which makes it difficult to iron. Such a problem arises because many people misuse the device and ignore the manufacturer’s instructions. If you face the task of cleaning the iron, it can be done in several ways.
How to clean the iron at home?
- The easiest way to clean the iron from carbon is a wet cloth. Heat the appliance to the maximum temperature, put wet cotton or linen cloth on the ironing board (water should not drip from it). Hold the cloth on the board with one hand. Dr. hand, take the iron and run it over the wet tissue.
- The sole of the device should touch the matter where the edge of the ironing board begins. Make a few such movements, trying to force the iron sole to the fabric. After a while, the sole will clear, and the dirt will remain on the rag.
- In addition to rags, a good option is to clean the iron with salt or paraffin. Pour a small amount of salt on a white sheet of paper, distribute it evenly and run it over the warmed iron several times. Wipe the sole with a dry wool cloth.
- If the soot is not removed, you can do differently. Fold the gauze in 3 - 4 layers, put on the ironing board. Pour salt on one half of the gauze, cover it with the second half. Use a ready-made salt bag to clean the dirt on the sole of a hot iron and wipe it with a dry wool cloth. For irons with an aluminum or Teflon surface, a mixture of salt and grated paraffin is suitable. Paraffin will soften the abrasive effect of salt and will not damage the surface.
- Nagar with teflon irons is perfectly cleaned with soda. Pour into a bowl 3 tsp. substance, pour some boiled water and bring it to a mushy state. Heat the iron to 120 degrees, apply a slurry of soda on carbon deposits. After 5 min, remove the composition with a damp soft cloth, then wipe dry. If the carbon from the 1st time is not removed, repeat the procedure. Instead of water you can use detergent - it will enhance the effect.
- If the iron burns completely fresh, use regular soap. Liberate lather on a warm appliance and let it cool. Take a damp cloth or sponge, gently wash the soap from the sole. Wipe the surface of the iron dry.
- You can remove carbon deposits from the surface of any iron using vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Forcibly wipe the stains with coarse cloth dipped in vinegar. If necessary, repeat the procedure. When you clean the surface, heat the iron to the maximum and run an unnecessary rag.
- Hydrogen peroxide can be used instead of vinegar: soak cotton wool in a liquid and wipe the surface of the iron. In extreme cases, you can use acetone or nail polish remover. Be careful not to get chemicals on the plastic parts of the appliance.
- Well cleans iron paraffin candle. To do this, wrap a paraffin candle in a thick cotton fabric. Wipe the hot iron well. The candle will start to melt, so the iron should be tilted so that the hot liquid drains onto the drip tray. After cleaning, remove residual dirt and paraffin.
- To clean the sole of the iron, you can use a special pencil. Turn on the device, warm it well, turn off and rub the pollution with a pencil. After a while, a chemical reaction will begin, and the carbon can be easily removed with a dry cloth.
Methods for cleaning scale
Most modern irons include a self-cleaning function of scale. This is the easiest way to keep the device in working condition for many years. If your iron is not equipped with such a function, you can use home remedies. Regular citric acid or lemon juice is good for scaling.
Put some acid in boiling water and remove the pan from the heat. Dissolve the substance in water and pour it into the iron tank. Preheat the device to the maximum, unplug it from the outlet and, holding the iron over the basin, press and hold the steam button. Gently shake the device, so cleansing is more effective. After cleaning, repeat the procedure with clean water, without lemon, to wash off the acid residue.
You can scum iron with carbonated mineral water. Pour sparkling water into the tank, heat up to the maximum and release steam and water over the basin. For the second time, pour boiled water and rinse it from residual mineral water.
If the listed cleaning methods do not help you, you can resort to special descaling agents. Quality products are TopHouse, MagicPower, Topperr, Flat, Astonish, CleanPoint, Wpro, GreenClear, Menalux, etc. Use the tools that are suitable for your iron.
Iron - is an indispensable thing for every hostess. But sooner or later the question arises - how to clean the sole of the iron? There are many ways to do this, some of them are as effective as possible. You can use traditional methods, ask for help from professionals or purchase special cleaning products.