The exotic plant Dionea, better known as "Venus flytrap", attracts the attention of everyone who sees it. It is difficult not to be interested in a low bush with a large number of opened “mouths” with rare sharp “teeth”. Moreover, they are not quite decorative - it is necessary for any object to get into the "throat", as the plant immediately slam its shutters, as if "swallowing" the victim. However, caring for Venus flytrap is not so simple, so it does not often appear in apartments.
How to create ideal conditions for Dionei?
It should immediately be said that the century of this plant is not long - no matter how hard you try, it will not be able to live longer than 3 years outside the natural environment. However, this is not a reason to give Dione herself. She needs careful and well-chosen care, the fundamental points of which are light, soil and watering.
- The duration of active sunbathing should be 4-5 hours, during which the direct rays will fall on the pot. All the rest of the time, Dione can be content with a diffused soft light. In the artificial lighting in the winter does not need.
- Temperature range - within 15-20 degrees, in winter it can be lowered to 13 degrees. Experts call the lower bar 5 degrees, but for a long time in such conditions it is better not to keep the plant, even despite its ability to adapt to differences.
- Dionea is not demanding of moisture, but it is still desirable to keep it at 40%. It is impossible to increase it by spraying the leaves; if necessary, tanks with water are placed in the room, especially when the central heating is active.
- Watering should be carried out with distilled or rain water, it is impossible to collect from the tap, and it is also forbidden to add mineral substances to it. It is best not to pour water under the root, but to put the pot in a container with water. In the warm season - every 3-4 days, in the cold - every 7-10 days.
The main question asked by lovers of domestic flora is how to achieve the formation and maturation of the traps with which Dyon is famous? To do this, you need to closely monitor the moment when the plant begins to enter the vegetative phase. The fact is that on the Venus flytrap still formed buds, which subsequently bloom. But they are so inconspicuous (small, barely reach 1 cm in diameter) that no one pays attention to them. And it is these buds that often cause the absence of traps: all shoots that are preparing for flowering should be removed immediately.
Transplantation and cultivation of venus flytrap
As noted above, in home care for Dionea, it is important to choose the right soil: this issue is particularly acute at the time of transplantation. It requires an almost complete lack of nutrients, as well as increased acidity. Experts recommend to make their own soil from peat, sand and perlite, connected in a ratio of 3: 2: 1. Sand must first be calcined in the oven.
- Fertilizing is not carried out either at the time of planting or in the process of cultivation: it damages the sensitive root system of the plant.
- Transplantation should be carried out annually, in March-April. The pot in which the bush will sit, must exceed its height by 2 times.
- Dionei is propagated by cutting, for which the shoot is cut at the rhizome; Or you can plant seeds in the peat in the fall, but you will have to wait until the middle of spring for germination, even though the seedlings are necessarily tightened with a film to increase the humidity.
We can not say about the main nuance of the rules of home care for Dione: about feeding. As already mentioned, fertilizers are not needed to the plant, but insects do not interfere. Experts recommend dropping a live insect into a trap, taking care that the size of the “food” is not too large (less than half the volume of the “mouth”). This should be done in the warm season and must feed different traps, since they are not capable of constant feeding.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that the pests of Venus flytrap almost do not bother, with the exception of aphids. The only serious damage to it can be caused only by abundant watering and a sharp drop in temperature, as well as a long stay in the cold.