Heliconia belongs to the banana family. The genus itself is very numerous and is divided into species categories. Species emit, on the basis of various data, from eighty to one hundred and fifty.
The plant is typical for the tropics. So, it grows well in tropical forests of South America.
Heliconia will delight you for years. This is a perennial plant. Your landings can reach three meters in height, but at home, as a rule, heliconia does not grow more than two meters.
Appearance of heliconia
- Not for nothing, we say that heliconium belongs to the banana family. The fact is that in appearance the plant is really like most of all a banana.
- The powerful root system is represented by large roots, which, when laid bare, resemble stalks. But these are false stalks.
- Heliconia sheet plate is similar to that possessed by banana plantations. In very large specimens, leaves can reach a meter wide. Leaflets have well-viewed veins and are slightly asymmetrical.
- The leaves are arranged in such a way that they form two rows.
- Flowering in the first year of the plant you will not see. But in the second year Heliconia will delight you with vertical or horizontal inflorescences, which are located in broad leaves, resembling a boat or a boat.
- Flowers Heliconia always have a bright color. They can be red, yellow, one-time or orange.
- For the fact that the shape of flowers is not quite usual, they are called "lobster claw", and the color variety introduces another nickname, no less interesting and suitable - "parrot flower".
Use of heliconia
You should not forget for a second that when choosing a heliconia for your landing, you will have to provide it with sufficiently warm climatic conditions. We cannot influence the climate in our garden plot, but we manage to do this quite well within our apartment or house.
As an ornamental house plant of heliconium is not too common on the territory of our country, however, if you make the right choice, that is, you choose heliconia for home planting, you will not go wrong, because the brightness and saturation of its color spectrum does not yield to any other domesticated green representative.
Planting is done in free pots. There should be enough space for the plant, because the root system of heliconium is powerful and large. So take wide pots and start planting.
The soil you need is very, very nutritious. Well, if it will contain three types of land: leaf, humus and sod, as well as sand, which is optimal in the sifted form. In such a soil mixture, all the components are taken equally, except for leafy soil. It should be taken twice as much as any of the other ingredients.
You will definitely need drainage. This is especially true of planting large plants or small specimens, but for a permanent habitat in large tubs.
In the process of growth and development of heliconium it will be optimal to carry out a plant transplant several times depending on the size. Each subsequent container with such a transplant must be greater than the previous one by at least five centimeters.
It is possible for planting at home to use young plants with good development of the root system, and can be planted with seeds or branches.
If you choose seeds as a method of planting, then before determining them in the ground should provide the conditions for germination. To do this, the seeds are placed in warm water for several days.
Young sprouts will rise quite unevenly. Growth fluctuations are observed in the first four months.
When planting taps, not too deep pots are used (but this is only for the first time) up to eleven centimeters high. The temperature should be no lower than plus twenty degrees until the plants are rooted.
After a few months, young planting can be transplanted into larger containers.
Every time you plant requires abundant watering.
In order to provide your favorite plants with excellent conditions for development and growth, it is enough to remember about good lighting and abundant watering. However, direct sunlight should be avoided. It is best if the light is scattered.
Most of all your moisture Heliconia needs in the spring and summer periods. In winter, moisture is also required, but not in those quantities. However, if you manage to withstand proper temperature conditions at home, good watering is important all year round.
He likes spraying very much.
It is important to monitor the general condition of the plant. On how it feels, has a huge impact soil composition. If the sheet plate loses its flexibility, then it's time to think about watering and dressing. Mineral fertilizers are perfect for your plantings. They will prolong the life of the plant.