Animals adorn our lives, give their masters a lot of positive emotions. But they, like people, are prone to various diseases. The cause of the suffering of cats is often urolithiasis. The symptoms and treatment of this disease should interest everyone who wants to help their furry friends.
The formation of sand and then of stones in the cat's bladder is a problem that requires urgent intervention by a specialist. After all, this disease very often leads to the death of pets. Do not wait for a period of exacerbation - at the slightest suspicion of urolithiasis (urolithiasis), you need to take action.
What happens to a sick cat?
The owners need to monitor the condition of their pet, so as not to disregard such changes in the cat's behavior:
- decreased activity and mobility;
- loss of appetite;
- increased urination and increased urination;
- anxiety and meow when visiting the "toilet";
- increased licking of the genitals;
- urine becomes pinkish;
- blood clots remain in the cat's toilet.
In the process of development of pathology deposits begin to move along the urinary tract, the stones linger in the urethra, can block the ducts and cause the accumulation of urine in the bladder. If this condition lasts more than a day, the danger of death signals:
- general intoxication;
- increase in pet's belly.
How to confirm the guesses of the hosts?
In order to prescribe an effective treatment for urolithiasis in cats, the veterinarian is not enough to study the symptoms for diagnosis - you need to study the clinical picture in more detail with the help of:
- laboratory analysis of urine and blood (to determine the degree of inflammation);
- X-ray (this study helps to see how large and shaped the stones are, where they are located);
- Ultrasound of the bladder and kidneys (allows you to get information about the state of the organs of excretion);
- chemical analysis of stones (it will be needed in order to understand which medicine can dissolve them).
A complication of urolithiasis is cystitis in cats. The symptoms of this comorbid disease coincide with the manifestations of the formation of stones in the bladder, and treatment is also impossible without the use of antibacterial agents.
Return to the purr health
If a cat is diagnosed with urolithiasis, it is necessary to alleviate its painful symptoms immediately and get serious about treatment. Such actions are quite acceptable at home, but you can not treat a pet without consulting a veterinarian. Having decided on a conservative - medical treatment - doctors often prescribe:
- Antibiotics: Lincomycin, Kefzol, Zeparin
Antimicrobial drugs are needed in case of complications of the disease infection. They are prescribed 0.2 g twice a day for a week.
- Uroseptics: Nitroxoline, Palin, Furagin
These are antibacterial agents for the urogenital system, which the pet should take about a week for tablets 2 times a day.
- Homeopathic Medicine: Kantarin
This drug is an effective antispasmodic, acts as an anti-inflammatory and diuretic. It is administered to cats under the skin 2 ml three times a day for 10 days.
If the cat does not urinate because of oversized stones or swelling of the urethra, he needs catheterization. In severe cases, the catheter is stitched for 3 days. After this procedure, put droppers to clean the body of toxic substances.
Recovery of cats is impossible without dieting. Do not give the patient to the purr of food at any other time than the established breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also purchase food that will help dissolve certain types of stones:
- HillsPrescriptionDietFelineS / D (with a struvite variety of stones);
- Royal Canin Urinary S / O Feline (mixed stones).
For pets who prefer natural products, with a stone-struvite, they must eat mainly meat food and drink acidified water. When oxolates, fish, boiled meat and eggs will help dissolve the stones.
Identification of insoluble stones suggests that a furry friend needs surgery:
- urethrostomy (a temporary opening is made in the urethra);
- cystostomy (opening of the bladder and removal of stones).
Protect healthy pets
The symptoms of urolithiasis are very painful, and the treatment of this dangerous pathology is also unpleasant. Therefore, healthy cats, as well as those who have suffered urolithiasis, need preventive measures:
- urine test every 6 months;
- strict adherence to food dosages;
- balanced diet;
- drinking fresh soft filtered water.
The cat should urinate at least 2 times a day and move more so that the metabolism does not slow down.
Each owner must monitor the health of his pet. The fact that he suffers from life-threatening urolithiasis can be understood by noticing changes in his behavior. Timely treatment will help the purring friend to feel great, and proper prevention will protect the cat from recurrent urolithiasis.