Cyperus is sometimes called a plant umbrella. And indeed its narrow long leaves are sitting at the ends of the stems like an umbrella.
Tsiperus is a small plant. They relate it to decorative-leafed indoor plants (read the article "What are some indoor plants"). Its leaves are grassy, of different widths - from very narrow, hairy, to more or less wide. They are located at the ends of hard stems. Looks like umbrellas. Blossoms small flowers, collected in spike inflorescences. At the beginning they are greenish, then turn brown. They have no decorative value. If we talk about the leaves, then they are not very decorative. Most likely, florists are attracted to tsiperus appearance.
Tsiperus location in the house
For indoor tsiperus well suited in the house the most humid places. This is a kitchen and bathroom. But it is better not to put it in the bathroom if sunlight does not get there. It will look good tsiperus in the hallway. In the living room and bedroom, it fits into the interior of a modern style. Most often, due to the relatively large size, adult plants are placed on the floor. Small tsiperusy can be put on the windowsills. It is better to choose window sills of the western and eastern windows.
Care for Cyperus
Cyperus is easy to grow and propagate. It is sufficiently resistant to diseases and pests. From time to time he pruned yellowing stems. Thus, stimulate plant growth. It is important not to neglect one main rule when caring for tsiperus - the roots should always be in moist soil. If you grow a plant in a regular pot with drainage holes, then it is good to put the pot on a tray with water. You can also put it in pots with water.
- Lighting. Tsiperus prefers bright sunlight or partial shade. In the summer you need to shade it from direct sunlight.
- Temperature does not matter for tsiperusa. But in winter it is undesirable that the temperature drops below 12 ° C.
- Humidity air needs increased. Good frequent spraying leaves.
- Watering plentiful. Tsiperus needs well-moistened soil, you can even say wet. In the pot you can not make drainage holes.
- Tsiperus propagates by dividing the bush during transplantation. As well as seeds and cuttings. Leaf rosettes are used as cuttings. From one such outlet usually grows several plants, so they are divided.
- Repot the plant every spring. The most suitable soil from an equal part of peat land and humus. Another swamp silt is added to it.
Cyperus is also good to use in flower arrangements with other plants. You can land a dwarf view of tsiperus and make a "bottle garden".
Types of tsiperus
- Tsiperus perenifolistny- reaches a height of one and a half meters Blooms throughout the year. Known varieties of this type of tsiperusa: dwarf tsiperus, tsiperus with stems and leaves with white stripes.
- Cyperus papyrus. In ancient times, papyrus was made from its stems. From him, according to legend, was made a basket of Moses. This species is larger than tsiperusa. In room conditions is grown infrequently.
- Tsiperus sprawling - reaches a height of 60 cm. Looks like a small palm tree.
- Tsiperus edible - a rare species, reaches a height of 35 cm. Forms earthy nuts.
- Tsiperus gaspanimeet most decorative inflorescences.
Under natural conditions, tsiperus (or it is otherwise called "syt") is found in the subtropics and the tropics. Its species form dense thickets on the banks of rivers. In room conditions, it is not difficult to grow it: it is unpretentious and resistant to insect pests and various diseases. It is only important to follow the irrigation of the soil well, not to allow the roots to dry. Then tsiperus will delight you, your loved ones and guests with an original appearance.