Tiarella translates as turban. And the name is quite justified, because the single brush of the plant looks like a small turban. Some botanists sometimes refer to tiarell as tellurium and Mitella. We will not take them into account.
Tiarella - evergreen creeping perennial plant with a weak root system. The leaves are pubescent, five-lobed. They are characterized by a contrasting pattern or spot along the veins. Among the leaves appears brown peduncle about 15 cm. high. It is located inflorescence of light cream flowers.
Types of Tiarella
- Tiarella multi-leaved - herbaceous groundcover. Insufficient frost resistance. Its inflorescence with pink flowers is located at a height of about one and a half meters.
- Tiarella univalent with a large bush size, reaches a height of 45cm. Distributed and cultivated in our gardens.
- Tiarellas cardiovascular. Reaches a height of 20cm. Foliage is rounded heart-shaped. In summer, the leaf streaks are bronze, and in the fall - reddish-brown. Stellate white or pale cream flowers are located in brown racemes.
- Three-leaf Tiarella has three-lobed leaves. There are varieties of this species with variously colored flowers (pink, etc.).
- Tiarella Verri forms a bush about 30 cm high. Blooms pink or white flowers with a pink shade. Stellate flowers, clustered in brushes.
These are the most common types of tiarella, in fact, quite a lot of them now.
Growing tiarelly: growth conditions and reproduction
Tiarella refers to shade-loving plants, therefore shady places are recommended for planting. However, many gardeners tend to grow it in the sun and shade. They are convinced that since the foliage of plants is much brighter, flowering is richer.
- Soil tiarelle needed a well-treated, loose. Neutral or slightly alkaline soils are suitable for it.
- Tiarella is fed twice - at the very beginning and after flowering. In winter it is recommended to cover the plants with non-woven material. Before shelter, it is desirable to spud well. In the spring you should not take shelter early, let the earth warm up well. It is better to gradually remove the shelter and, moreover, in cloudy weather. This will save the plants from the so-called physiological drought. To stimulate the roots you can pour the plants with warm water.
- Thiarell vegetatively reproduces. Under good conditions, it is usually propagated in the third year of life. Do this by dividing a bush or rosettes. Rosettes are usually rooted in the shade. It is better to multiply these tiarellas before flowering (in the month of May).
- Breeding tiarell and semanov. But this method cannot ensure the full preservation of the characteristics of the mother plant. Seeds are usually sown in March or April. They are very small, so they are mixed with sand.
- Self-seeding is also possible, so often from a cultivated plant, tiarella becomes a weed. To avoid this, you need to cut the inflorescences, not allowing the fruit to form.
Tiarellu can be planted on the edge of the tracks near the house, and also instead of a lawn under the fruit garden. It feels great under the protection of deciduous and coniferous trees and shrubs. Tiarella looks good with primroses, lungwort and ferns.
Tiarella is suitable not only for a well-groomed site, but also for a corner to which your hands do not reach yet. In addition, tiarella suppresses weeds and is resistant to diseases and insect pests.
Tiarella becomes a permanent inhabitant of many gardeners due to its unpretentiousness, decoration and durability. Tiarella bush with age becomes more magnificent and brighter. Tiarella will decorate all shady and half-shaded corners of your garden.
And if you are still wondering what to plant in the summer in the garden, make a choice in favor of tiarella - you will not lose!