Decorative rabbits are charming creatures that have recently begun to gain popularity as pets. They do not require walking, exist in a limited area, do not wake every morning with a drawn out meowing and are rather calm, thus not causing inconvenience.
Therefore, for those who look after such a pet, the question arises: how long do decorative rabbits live at home and can these figures be influenced in any way? What do you need to pay attention to when you get a fluffy ball with long ears?
How many years do decorative rabbits live?
First of all, it should be said that the main factor influencing the life expectancy of these charming animals is their variety: representatives of some breeds can barely last up to 5 years, and others can even live for 8, or even 12 years. Who is recognized as long-lived?
- Scientists suggest that the life of an ornamental rabbit is directly dependent on ... the length of its ears. It sounds incredible and perhaps even funny, but long-term studies have shown that representatives of the lop-eared breeds can really celebrate a “major anniversary” in 10 years.
Undoubtedly, this is not an axiom and it is possible to achieve such a bar (and even more so at 12 years of age) only with the creation of very comfortable conditions, but the probability is still quite high. What can be said about the representatives of ordinary ornamental species, where the average life expectancy is only 4-5 years.
- A separate category are decorative dwarf rabbits: their ears are small, but mostly erect, the animals themselves are extremely tiny in size, and at the same time live up to 7-9 years. However, here the long-livers are also recorded who marked the 12th birthday.
It is noteworthy that some scientists claim that a rabbit that has been sterilized has a higher chance of living longer than the one that has retained its fertilization function. In fact, such a rabbit has the same hormonal background, the same instincts and the same sex organs as before the operation, as a result of which there is no direct threat to health after the procedure. But the risk of losing a pet increases at times, since the success of the operation is still in question. In addition, a clear link between sterilization and how many decorative rabbits live has not yet been approved. Therefore, if you want to do everything in your power to prolong the life of the animal, it is better to pay attention to more significant and proven factors.
What affects the lifespan of fluffies?
The most important stage, determining the further fate of the pet, comes even when choosing a fluffy lump from the breeder. You should familiarize yourself with his pedigree, and not to find out if the blue blood is running in his veins - you need to understand what kind of genetics the parents passed to him. Hereditary diseases in animals often become the most difficult problem that is not amenable to solution: they are repelled from them, building up the diet and the day regimen of the pet, they are taken into account, representing the future of a new family member.
- Do not take a rabbit under 45 days, no matter how much you like it: affection will pass quickly when it becomes clear that it is not viable. This period is the minimum to determine the potential of the animal, especially if you are the first time to start a representative of this category and you have no idea what you are facing. Theoretical knowledge does not count.
- Make sure that the rabbit was given basic vaccinations - this is UGBC and myxomatosis, and he also received a course of anthelmintic drugs.
- A healthy baby older than 45 days has clean ears, devoid of damage, with the same density over the entire area, not deformed. The same purity should be present in the eyes and nose: moderately moist, clear. A shiny coat should not be oily to the touch - this may indicate a breeder's desire to create an artificially healthy look with cosmetic products.
A fluffy little ball tucked into a corner, which seems to be trying to hide from the world, of course, can be just shy, but in most cases it is a sick rabbit. If he shakes his head and tries his best to scratch his ears, it is likely that he has ticks.
The above points determine 50% of the life of a pet, and if you follow them, you can assume that half of the work is done. However, it is too early to relax - the remaining half requires its strict observance until the last day of the pet's existence, because it represents the conditions of his stay in the apartment.
How to improve the quality and life of decorative rabbits at home?
Every pet lover understands that it is impossible to create an atmosphere in an enclosed space that is identical to that created by wildlife, no matter what efforts are made to it. Nevertheless, it is possible to provide maximum comfort for a new family member, but the life expectancy in the wild and at home will still differ at least for 6-12 months. What is particularly acute role for ornamental rabbits?
- Physical activity. These babies need constant movement, no less than other dogs who need to walk constantly. Of course, you do not have to wear a harness on a rabbit, but it is necessary to let it out of the cage 1-2 times a day. True, you need to take care that the room in which the pet will frolic does not contain objects dangerous to him.
- Cell. It is important to understand that no matter how spacious it is, it will not replace the rabbit described above and walking around the apartment, but still try to choose an option more (at least 70 cm in length), especially if you plan to keep not 1, but 2 animals At the same time, do not forget that it is better not to settle the males together, but the females get along well if they are relatives or were familiar "from the cradle", i.e. from the age of 10 weeks.
- The filler for the cage is sawdust, or hay, laid out very thick (5 cm) layer. It is necessary to change it in 2-3 days or even more often. The feeder for the cage - clay, ceramic, well, if it is suspended, thereby protected from turning. Water should be updated daily.
- As for food, decorative rabbits can eat up to 30 times a day. Consequently, the food should always be present in the feeder, but not in large portions, but by gradual addition throughout the day. The basis is hay, to which they lay sprigs of linden and other shrubs (small, of course), as well as grains of cereals, which are boiled or just soaked. In the summer, it is recommended to collect fresh greens from lawns (not within the city limits), but first study the list of dangerous for your pet names: the best known among such tributary and clover.
- If you think about vegetables, then they are given a minimum number of ornamental rabbits, and basically the list is limited to white cabbage, corn cobs, apples, boiled potatoes and turnips, carrots, beets.
- Very often you should not bathe decorative rabbits - they, like cats, are able to "wash" themselves and completely clean their wool. A visit to the bathroom usually occurs only in a very hot season, or if the pet has diarrhea, and it gets very dirty. In this case, after bathing, you need to keep your pet warm and to protect from drafts with special care, as the wool dries for a very long time.
In conclusion, it should be noted that ornamental rabbits have a rather interesting feature, sometimes frightening those unfamiliar with it. They tend to eat their own litter. Do not interfere with these actions or be afraid of them - such a step allows animals to improve the absorption of the rest of the food.