Exotic plants in Russian apartments have long become commonplace. In addition to the usual violets, asparagus or geranium, decorative palm, euahiris or singonium can be found more and more often. But for the beautiful view of the latter one has to pay, providing a truly royal care for the indoor plant.
Singonium: photos and features
The homeland of the syngonium, which is a member of the aroid family, is considered to be 2 regions of America - South and Central. For climate this plant is accustomed to the appropriate - tropical. Unlike many other room inhabitants of the tubs and pots, the syngonium is not in a hurry to enjoy flowers, if it is in an unusual habitat.
This herb is distinguished by its similarity with philodendrons, but with careful comparison there is a great elegance of the syngonium. With its thin stems, having an average length not exceeding 60-70 cm, it can boast of an air root system. But the main charm of this plant is that it belongs to the category of evergreen vines, whose branches reach up to 2.5 meters in length. That is why it is able to decorate absolutely any wall without flowering.
For a more presentable look, experts recommend a constant pruning of the branches. This allows you to set the growth of this sample of flora, not up, but in breadth. Such a technique is necessary if there is a need to close by means of the syngonium, or to decorate a wall, partition or another vertical with a significant area.
An interesting nuance inherent in this plant is the difference between young and adult leaves. The first not only have a brighter color, but also differ from the second in their structure. They have a classic arrow shape, and the color is rich green. As they grow older, the leaves turn silver and their veins darken a lot. The form receives a dissection in the base area. An adult plant has the ability to take moisture directly from the air, using an air root system.
Knife-type syngonium, ear-shaped and Wendland
In the apartments, only 3 species of more than 20 come to life - the syngonium is nodular, weevil and Wendland. But even such a small amount of them is enough to spend a lot of time on the selection, comparison and subsequent study of the nuances of caring for them. Because, despite common roots, they have a number of differences, requiring their own special approach.
- The light-green leaves, having a color that is not so saturated even at the time of its appearance, are peculiar to the leaf-leaf syngonium. Their shape resembles not an arrow, but a heart, all with the same dissection at the base. The size of one sheet varies between 7 and 13 cm, and the plate consists of 11 shares. Some species of such a representative flora boast of stains, as well as a modified form. Bloom in the indoor environment of the syngonium knife-list will not.
- The ear shaped syngonium is close to its classical description, because it has the very glossy leaves-arrows, the plate of which is represented by 3 (less often - 5) segments. Added to them 2 more at the very base, similar to the ears. It is from here that this subspecies got its name. At the stem, the length varies from 35 to 40 cm. The difference in shades is also interesting: the inner zone has a purple color, and the outer one is characterized by a gradation from yellowish to green.
- Wendland syngonium is usually characterized by a dark green foliage of a single plate. It has only 3 segments. The surface is always velvety, matte. The central vertical is distinguished by a silvery shade. In adulthood, the plate is modified, taking the form of an elongated star tip in the zone. His growth is quite intense.
- Most often, the syngonium is purchased to fill winter gardens. In the case of most typical apartments, it is used as an ampelous plant. The pot is placed right under the ceiling, and the branches falling down are distributed along the wall, clinging to specially created protrusions. If a tub with this representative of the flora is placed on the floor, the tubes covered with moss are often stuck into it. Their height rarely exceeds 2 m. This is quite enough for the branches to receive high-quality support.
Home care for the plant
Of course, it is extremely difficult to repeat the climate of South America in an ordinary Russian apartment. But the chances of successful cultivation of singonium even in such conditions are quite high.
- The first major nuance that should be kept in memory is the selection of the optimal place. The ban is imposed on direct sunlight, but the lack of light can not lead to anything good.
- Optimally - diffused lighting, penumbra, the region of the east or north window. In particular, this recommendation is focused on the Wendland syngonium. Excessive light, as well as direct sunlight, often causes a change in the color of the leaves in the direction of loss of bright pigmentation.
- The air temperature for the syngonium should be maintained between 18-24 ° C. For the cold season it is allowed to drop to 17 ° C. The plant will survive short-term jumps up to 10 ° C, but it is better not to bring it up to frequent practice.
- Also important is the moment of timely watering, carried out daily, as soon as the drying of the upper part of the substrate is noticed. The soil should always remain wet. In this case, excess fluid is fraught with rotting. In winter, you can go to the irrigation schedule, which involves carrying out this procedure 1 time in 2 days. Water required at room temperature.
- Besides moistening the soil, the issue of air humidity is topical. If a special device is not available, you should at least spray the plant from a fine spray. In addition, the foliage must be wiped with a cloth moistened with water. The pot itself is sometimes advised to be placed in a peat pan with a wet state.
Many owners of singoniums are surprised that this representative of exotic flora needs a special feeding. Therefore, it is worth mentioning at once fertilizers, which differ not only in composition, but also focused on various methods of growing syngonium.
This plant loves the liquid top dressing used for the majority of decorative leafy, having in its composition a large proportion of calcium and nitrogen. Frequency of use varies by season. In the warm period -2 times a month, in the cold it is not necessary to do this at all.
Pruning of syngonium is quite rare. Usually this procedure is carried out every 3-4 years. And in the first few years, in order to stimulate the formation of new branches, it is necessary to pinch the plant, for which a zone is selected over the 6th leaf.
How to multiply singonium?
Often, connoisseurs of syngonim have a desire to reproduce their pet. They receive cuttings that need to be planted. Part of the shoots are also suitable, but it is much more difficult to get them. Especially since each must have at least 1 kidney. Otherwise, the plant will not accept.
Rooting is made in sphagnum or its combination with sand. Often practiced use for this purpose vermiculite. And if none of these materials is available, you can simply pour a little water at a temperature of 24-25 ° C into the container, put an activated carbon tablet into it and put the petiole there.
As soon as the root system begins to develop, it will land in a container with the ground. Moreover, if several syngoniums grow temporarily in one pot, they should be distributed from each other by 10 cm.
A young plant requires a transplant, which is carried out once a year, and for an adult the period stretches to 3 years. It is important to observe the acid-base balance of the soil, maintaining its level at a slightly acidic or neutral. It consists of 3 components: peat, leaf, sod land, and some sand. The ratio looks like 1: 1: 1: 0.5.
Undoubtedly, the care of the syngonium at home is much easier than for other exotic plants. Therefore, it is perfect for those who do not want to worry every minute for the state of his green friend. But with all these advantages of syngonium, it is desirable to remember that its milky juice contains poisonous substances.