Surely not only experienced flower growers, but also beginner lovers are familiar with such a bright and colorful flower as streptokarpus. To make the plant happy with beautiful flowers, you need to know the simple rules for caring for it.
Streptocarpus flower: plant description
Streptokarpus is a bright rosette plant that has a slightly shortened stem and densely pubic leaves. At the same time, the width of each leaflet can reach 7 cm, and the length is 30 cm.
Flowers streptokarpus can be located on the 1st or 2 in the axils of the leaves on the high peduncles. The diameter of the rims of the plant is up to 2.5 cm, and in the hybrid species they will be larger, sometimes reaching 4 cm in diameter. The color of the corolla, most often, a delicate pale lilac shade, on the throat and the tube are bright stripes of purple color.
It is thanks to the selection today you can find really unusual varieties of such indoor plants. Incredibly beautiful and unusual flowers of snow-white color, with lilac stripes or yellow eyes, a variety of spots or dots. You can find black corollas with a yellow peephole, crimson, pink or two-tone.
The leaves may have wavy or torn edges, there is a terry border. From early spring to autumn, the plant may bloom, and with the onset of cold weather, a period of rest begins. It is in winter that the flowers begin to give way to fruits that resemble a twisted spiral.
Streptokarpus: care and cultivation
- The procedure for growing streptokarpus not very difficult, so this plant is often chosen and novice growers. But at the same time, in order not only beautiful flowers to appear, but also a healthy plant, it is necessary to follow a few simple recommendations.
- This flower is pretty light-loving, however, it does not tolerate exposure to direct sunlight. The ideal option would be to place the pot on the west or east window. In the event that during the cold season you can extend the daylight hours to 16 hours, there is a possibility that the plant will bloom even in winter.
- From April to August, there is a period of active growth, during which it is necessary to observe a moderate temperature regime. The ideal option would be a temperature of 20-24 degrees. If it is increased to 30 degrees, then you need to increase the humidity of the air.
- Throughout the year, the plant needs moderate watering. It is necessary to water a flower only after the earth dries well. It is desirable for watering to use the pan or any one edge of the flowerpot. Care should be taken to avoid water getting directly into the center of the outlet.
- It is worth remembering that it is a strong waterlogging of the soil is a serious danger to the plant. As a result, not only can the roots rot, but the death of the flower can also occur. For irrigation it is recommended to use only well-separated warm water.
- Constantly must be high humidity. However, it is not the best option to use a sprayer for plant care. It is best to place the pot with streptokarpusami in the pan, which is wet moss.
- As well as most of the indoor plants, it is recommended to repot the flower once a year. For this purpose, a loose and well-permeable soil is perfect. You can use a mixture consisting of sand, peat and earth in a 1: 1: 2 ratio. It is possible to use land intended for the cultivation of violets with the addition of vermiculite or perlite. It is recommended to grow streptokarpusa in sufficiently wide, but shallow pots.
The reproduction of this beautiful flower can take place in 3 main ways - leaf, division or seed.
It is necessary to take into account the fact that the streptocarpus seeds are very small, so working with them will be quite difficult. If, nevertheless, the plant propagation method was chosen by seeds, they should be planted on the pre-leveled surface of the earth mixture, after which they are sprayed. Top cover glass. This must be done in order to maintain the required level of humidity.
As soon as the seeds germinate, it is necessary to dive the seedlings 2 times. However, it is worth considering the fact that this breeding method does not guarantee that all varietal characteristics will be fully preserved.
The easiest way is to divide the bush. This procedure should be carried out only at the very beginning of spring, before the phase of active growth comes. In the process of dividing the adult plant is carefully removed from the pot and using a sharp knife it is segmented into several parts. Then all sections are sprinkled with a small amount of crushed coal, and the process is planted to the level of the root collar. In that case, if there is a desire to slightly accelerate the growth of streptokarpusa, it is necessary to cut the large leaves half.
The most popular breeding method is leaf. In this case, it is necessary to choose a completely healthy leaf that does not have any defects, and it should not be old. Now the leaf is cut across with a sharp knife into several parts or the central vein is simply cut out. All traces of the slice are slightly dried, after which the sheet is transplanted into a previously prepared light earth mixture.
The container with the leaflet is placed in the greenhouse, you can simply cover with polyethylene. It is necessary to constantly monitor the humidity of the earth, as it should not dry out. About a month later there is the appearance of children, which can be deposited. During watering, it is necessary to ensure that water does not fall on the children or the leaf itself, as they may begin to rot.
What diseases are streptocarpus?
Quite often, streptokarpus suffers from such a pest as thrips, the occurrence of which occurs due to the high temperature in the room where the plant is located and the low level of humidity. To save a flower, it is necessary, first of all, to isolate it from other plants. Then all the buds are completely removed, including flower stalks (it doesn’t matter whether they unfold or not). Then the whole plant, including the top layer, is sprayed with insecticide (aktar, fitoverm, actellic, spintor, etc.). Every 7-10 days is repeated treatment (there should be 3 of them).
Most often there is such a fungal disease, like powdery mildew, which can be determined by the formation of a characteristic plaque on a diseased plant (it looks like flour). Under this touch on the leaves appear sores. If timely treatment is not started, the affected leaves simply die off, as a result, it can lead to the death of the plant. To cure a flower, it is necessary to treat topaz with a fungicide — 10 liters of water 1 ampoule of solution.
Streptocarpus can also suffer from spider mites. After the appearance of this pest, flower stalks begin to dry out gradually, a pollen-like bloom appears on the leaves, and a spider's web can be seen on the leaves. To destroy this pest, the affected plant must be isolated, after which all infected leaves and flower stalks are removed. The plant is well washed, treatment with insecticides.
The occurrence of gray rot occurs as a result of the fact that the plant is in a room with high humidity. First, on the leaves of streptocarpus an ash ash begins to appear, which is easily removed. To cure a flower, it is necessary to thoroughly wash it, then remove all injured areas, treatment with a fungicide. To prevent recurrence of the disease, it is necessary to normalize the temperature in the room.
Streptokarpus - amazing houseplant. It harmoniously combines beautiful foliage and bright original flowering. To care for the flower is quite simple, it is quite unpretentious. The only thing that flower growers need to remember is streptocarpus, which is subject to many diseases, so its health must be carefully monitored.