One of the plants that live well on our window sills and in the open field is gardenia. Have you heard about it yet? And in vain! The plant is very beautiful, lush flowering.
However, it should be remembered that any plant that you decide to breed, so that it pleases you with its beauty, requires a special approach to yourself.
Hope this article helps you keep your green pets in good condition.
Gardenia is very thermophilic, because its native habitats are tropical and subtropical areas of the African savanna and Asian countries. It belongs to the madder family.
A huge plus for you and me is that gardenia pleases you with the rich green color of the foliage all year round.
Appearance of gardenia
What does this wonderful representative of green look like?
- Gardenia is represented by a shrub plant. Bush quite lush and very neat.
- Gardenia is different in that its leaves are leathery. They have a rich, deep dark green pigmentation. And during the flowering period there are large, white flowers with a very pleasant smell. In appearance, the surface of the petals is gentle, terry. And this is not a visual illusion, the flower really has a soft, not smooth surface.
- During the flowering period, and it falls on the summer and autumn seasons, gardenia does not form inflorescences. She produces single flowers.
- The fruit of gardenia is presented in the form of berries.
Use of gardenia
This wonderful shrub is suitable for growing at home, as well as for creating excellent landscape paintings in your backyard.
Agree that often we want to move a piece of nature home. Plants help us in this. They fill our homes with comfort, saturate them with a pleasant aroma and simply delight the eye with their presence.
Gardenia can be given any shape. Especially it looks good when spherical pruning. The shape of the ball is a classic in landscape design.
You can make several plantings at home or at your summer cottage, and after your plants grow up, carefully form each bush.
I think you will be pleased with the very procedure of pruning the branches, since the twigs in Gardenia are subtle and there is no particular difficulty with them, so is the result of your work.
Choose a place for the plant according to the principle “as warm as possible”. Window sills on the windows on the south sunny side is a great option.
Chose a bright and warm place?
Now the soil. It should have simple properties - be quite loose, with high acidity and fertile.
It is possible to buy special soil in stores specializing in seedlings and houseplants. The soil composition required for gardenia is the same as for azaleas, if you have, of course, encountered them. The soil consists of turf and coniferous soil, sand and peat.
After a certain period of time, the soil under the plants should be acidified. Thus, it is possible to do this two or three times a month during the month to irrigate with the addition of a few drops of citric acid to the water.
Planted plant purchased in the store, or cuttings are planted in the previously prepared soil, because they are also a great way of planting and reproduction of gardenia.
When transplanting a purchased plant, make sure that the root system is not damaged. Replace gardenia with the lump of earth that remains on the roots when removing from the store container or pot.
If you decide on the cuttings, then plant them in a soil mixture of sand and peat. These components are taken in equal parts and thoroughly mixed.
Prepare such a substrate and plant in it the cuttings of gardenia, after holding them in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
You can also use ordinary water in order to get the roots of the cuttings. Stand, stand your cuttings in vessels with water and now you can see signs of root development.
Not earlier than in a month, transplant the rooted branches into the soil that is usual for gardenias.
- In the summer, gardenia likes to breathe fresh air, respectively, on sunny days you take it out to the balcony.
- Loves your pet and abundant watering. Watch how soft water you use for watering. Especially this point is relevant for the winter period of the plant.
- Gardenia requires and dressings, and regular. It is advisable to fertilize the soil layer every fifteen to twenty days. Only choose such dressings that do not contain lime in their composition.
- Just great gardenia will react to spraying. Remember that this plant is a tropical and subtropical climate, respectively humidified air - this is not unimportant factor. You can put not far from your planting basins with water or conduct regular spraying at least four to five times in one day.
- Experts recommend pruning and transplanting in late winter or early spring in order to activate the growth and development processes of the plant.
- Gardenia does not like drafts very much, therefore, you must take this factor into account when you choose the location of the shrub at home.
So, airing - yes, drafts - no !!!