Geranium has earned its popularity not only due to its bright and lush colors. Everyone knows the beneficial properties of this plant, its ability to repel insect pests with its fragrance. Delivered from Africa as early as 1795, it is one of the most common among home and garden flowers.
It can be safely attributed to the category of those plants, the care of which does not require much time and effort, but you need to know how to properly deal with geraniums. Pruning for lush flowering is very important, because it is through these actions that the flower will delight us for a long time.
There are quite a few varieties of geranium - only in Russia their number exceeds 40 varieties. This plant can be bred both on the windowsill and in the garden. The variety of its shades never ceases to amaze even sophisticated flower growers. However, if you do not know how to cut the geranium and for what purpose it is done, the flower will not be so lush and beautiful.
What is pruning for?
The flower grower should pay constant attention to growing shoots and cut them at certain times. This procedure is made from the following considerations:
- an increase in flowering period;
- the formation of a beautiful crown of the plant;
- assistance in the emergence of new side shoots;
- breeding material
If nothing is done to form a flower, it will start growing up, and soon there will be only a tall stem with leaves and sparse inflorescences on top. Breeders explain this feature by the fact that independently the plants of this family do not produce lateral shoots.
Pruning geraniums for lush flowering on the street and at home is not a complicated procedure that a newcomer cannot do. The main thing is to know how to do it correctly, so that your beauty can continue to please the eye.
Despite the fact that there are a lot of geranium species, they all have almost the same formation of a bush. Perform all actions in stages - and then you will succeed:
- Prepare the tools. A knife with a sharp and thin blade is best suited: it allows you to quickly and accurately cut an escape without damaging it.
- Select the place you want to trim. Mentally imagine the future shape of the plant, and then at the desired distance from the ground, make a cut over the leaf.
- Sprinkle with powdered charcoal or cinnamon powder: it will help not to start rotting.
It is not necessary to use a knife to shorten the stems. Another common method allows you to take a runaway with clean hands and without using tools to gently break it. After that, you need to handle the place of fracture in the manner described above.
Gardeners who have more than one plant in their flower beds are advised after this to apply complex fertilizer for flowers containing nitrogen to the land. This will allow geraniums to quickly begin the recovery and the formation of new shoots.
When do you need pruning?
How many times do you need to prune the plant? When it comes to geraniums, pruning for lush flowering should be done at least twice a year - in the fall and spring.
In autumn, the plant begins to gradually prepare for wintering, it is no longer so abundant in bloom, so pruning during this period is easiest. The procedure is performed in order to remove all unnecessary and allow the plant to winter without problems.
To begin with, all wilted inflorescences and leaves are cut, then work is done to improve the shape of the geranium. To this end, the stems are shortened, which spoil its appearance. Only the young and strong, able to give healthy shoots.
Sometimes the plant becomes less by almost a third. But it is quickly restored, if you put it in good conditions and fertilize it correctly. If for any reason you did not provide pruning in early autumn, do not worry: you still have time until the beginning of December.
In spring, a flower placed on a bright and warm window-sill begins to awaken from winter sleep. Therefore, it is equally important to save him from shoots grown in an unnecessary direction. In early March (and sometimes already at the end of February), pruning can begin before the flower buds are formed.
Pull with this process is not worth it: the delay threatens the formation of extra shoots and a decrease in the geranium flowering period. It would be more correct to cut all weakened and overgrown stems, leaving 2-3 buds below.
What is a standard geranium and how to form it?
Stambov is a plant that is artificially given a certain shape. In order to beautifully form a geranium, you need:
- Choose one of the stems as the main one and tie it to a reliable, strong support that will serve as a guide for further work. You need to act very carefully, because the plant is fragile.
- Remove the branches from the sides, giving the plant a regular, neat shape. It should not be forgotten that pruning is done on a piece of paper, as from this place will go stronger shoots.
- Wait for the time when the main stem grows higher than the support, and make it nip. This operation will allow it to split into several branches, so that the tip of the geranium will look beautiful.
- Repeat the nip procedure with the side shoots so that the result is the correct shape of the ball.
- Leave the plant alone for several months to begin to tie flower buds.
For the creation of a beautiful standard plant, all its varieties will be suitable, but royal geranium becomes a favorite among many gardeners. Crop for lush flowering of this species is no different from others. However, one should not forget about its regal name: besides beauty, such a flower is distinguished by some capriciousness. Should pay more attention to the timing of the procedures and processing tools during its implementation.
Any type of geranium will decorate a modern apartment, a balcony and a garden. Proper cropped and well-groomed plant will allow you to admire its flowers until late autumn. And is this not the most wonderful reward for the grower in all senses for his efforts and reverent attitude!