Want to test your amateur gardener's talents? Try to plant a garnet of stone at home. Cultivation of this picturesque tree, covered with a canopy of lush, delicate pink flowers during flowering, is an extremely fascinating and not at all difficult task!
How to choose the best seed?
Before you begin your experiments, note that the market and in stores sell fruits of hybrid plants - fertile, with excellent taste. To preserve the listed characteristics, it is necessary to use a vegetative propagation method: cutting, grafting, cuttings, etc. However, when planting seeds you will be able to get a decorative compact plant with abundant flowering - the perfect decoration of a garden or window sill in an apartment! Its fruits will be inferior to the original copies in size and taste. But you will be sure of their 100% naturalness and the absence of harmful chemical additives.
Is it possible to grow pomegranate from a stone at home? Even an amateur gardener can cope with this task. And a large number of seeds, which can be obtained from one fruit, will simplify the task set for you several times.
Preparation and use of planting material
First you need to choose a ripe fruit with bright scarlet color of the grains. Carefully rid the seeds of the pulp, rinse them thoroughly. Then grind the resulting planting material between several layers of fabric in order to completely clean its surface. Otherwise, the particles of the pulp can rot and cause the seeds to become unusable. Dry the resulting material for 24 hours, scattering in a thin layer.
So how can you get granite from the stone at home? Growing a tree requires the proper selection of soil mix. The best option is a combination of land, peat and coarse sand. Also important is good drainage and the use of a porous vessel - a pot that provides air access to the roots.
The depth of seed placement is 1 cm. After planting, they should be watered, covered with polyethylene and put on a well-lit window sill in a heated room (grenades love the constant heat and direct rays of the sun). Do not forget to moisten the soil from time to time. It is important to note that tender sprouts, just like adult plants, do not tolerate stagnant water. For garnets, the arid semi-desert climate is preferred.
The term germination of seeds - 2 weeks. When young plants rise above the edge of the pot, you can remove the polyethylene and remove weak "seedlings." Choose only the most powerful, viable planting material.
So, you almost solved the problem of how to grow a pomegranate from a stone. Now it is important to save the resulting "seedlings" and wait for its transformation into strong trees!
After 2 months, grown plants can be transplanted into open ground (in late May - early June, depending on climatic conditions). If you plan to grow trees at home, plant them in larger pots.
Grenades at our home
Having planted grown-up plants in tubs, you can form them in the form of a trunk with a main trunk and a spherical crown or a bush (up to 4 main trunks). Every year in May, it is necessary to remove old shoots directed inside the crown. As a result, you will get a neat plant up to 60 cm high. Be sure to provide a winter grenade for a cool winter - in the basement or storeroom.
Growing pomegranates in open ground
- When planting plants in the ground (in October-November), you can choose any type of soil, the main thing is to avoid salt licks and swampy places. Pay maximum attention to the quality of lighting.
- When planting in areas with poor soil, follow the 4x2 m scheme, and on fruitful areas - 5 by 2 or even 3.
- So, it's time to land your grenade. Cultivation in the open ground requires the creation of a hole for each plant with a depth and diameter of 60 cm. About 15 cm of grass is poured at its bottom. Then comes a layer of fertile soil on which the pomegranate is installed, recessed 10 cm. Do not use any fertilizer. For additional bushes, you can arrange the plant at an inclination of 45 degrees.
- Soak the soil gently and pour. The next day, repeat the watering and zamulchuyte pristvolny circle with a dark material: semi-sawdust, grass or others. You can plant green mangate plants around the tree, ensuring the friability of the topsoil.
- So, you got a garnet from the stone at home. Growing it in the open field requires weekly irrigation and periodic supplements. How to fertilize pomegranate?
- In the first year it is enough in May, and then in June to spray trees on a green leaf with Crystalone (or other non-mineral and non-organic fertilizer). On 1 tree enough 2 g of the drug in 1 liter of water.
- In subsequent years, for a single procedure, 0.5 buckets of rotted humus (compost) crumble around the trunk.
- It is also important to timely handle plantings from chertzev, whitefly, moth, thrips, leafworm and garnet aphid.
- In early November, it is necessary to shelter the plant from frost by hammering stakes into the ground and tying a tilted tree to them. Shelter - a layer of earth up to 15 cm thick. You can open a grenade in May.
- Pomegranates bear fruit only on new shoots. Therefore, in the spring do not forget to remove the old branches. And remember that an adult tree begins to bear fruit only from the 4th year of its life!