Through the game, the child forms real behavioral patterns and lives in different situations, which helps him to adapt to life. For girls, playing dolls becomes such a learning and development method, and in order to make it as believable as possible, toys need a home, clothes and food. Everything except the last one can be purchased at the store, but one often has to experiment with food: for example, to sculpt it from polymer clay.
How to make food from polymer clay?
The main difficulty of this process is scrupulousness and attention to detail. Food for dolls should be miniature, but the most elaborate so that an apple can be distinguished from an orange not only by the color of the surface, but also by its relief, shape and size. Therefore, you should immediately prepare for the fact that without the proper skill, the conceived product will not come out immediately.
At the same time, the attractiveness of polymer clay lies in its high plasticity, which allows for a long and diligently deduce the necessary details until their appearance satisfies you. And in order to harden them, it is enough to place the elements in the oven heated to 120 degrees and hold them there for a certain time - it varies depending on the size of the product. There is also a type of polymer clay that is self-hardening. It hardens within 24 hours in the open air, as a result of which work with it should be more operational. Store it in an airtight bag or container. But this clay is softer, lighter, can stretch into a very thin layer, and also mixes up with each other much easier. But her brittleness is increased, including deformation when in contact with water, therefore, it is not recommended to use self-hardening clay to create doll food - a child can simply break the product with any inadvertent movement during the game.
In addition to the briquettes of the clay of various colors, you will need paints and pastels to tint it, because creating a smooth transition by simply mixing pieces of clay is much more difficult, as well as fine tools - needles, knives (traditional penknives), wooden or plastic stacks , rolling pins, flat surface and latex gloves. The latter are necessary not only for reasons of hand protection - polymer clay is fairly easy to wash, but for the reason that thermoplastic is always ready to collect fingerprints, which negatively affects the appearance of the product.
As for the shades of clay that you need to purchase, it is recommended to begin with basic colors: food products often combine many shades, especially if they are confectionery. And most of them are easy to obtain or tinted, or mixed. But the most important thing to get to the base tones is a block of white clay - it will allow you to change the saturation of hues, due to their dilution. And for baking and final finishing of products you will need ordinary foil and clear acrylic lacquer, preferably water-soluble.
So, the materials purchased, the extra 2-3 hours of free time found, you can proceed. And at the starting stage, you need to remember a few nuances: it is recommended to work with polymer clay with warm hands, since it seizes from contact with a low temperature and is less amenable to modeling. Warm your fingers and palms over the steam for several minutes before putting on gloves. If this was not enough, and for some reason, the clay does not work very well, you can treat the surface of the gloves with vegetable oil before it comes into contact with the material: it is close to plasticizers in its chemical composition, so the work will be easier.
Polymer clay cakes and cakes: options and tips
- How to start modeling doll food, if not with sweets? Cakes, cakes and muffins are probably not the easiest elements to create, but it is on them that one can show one's creative abilities and play with color, because there is no clear frame for either the "components" of the dough or the type of glaze.
- Professionals advise you to try your hand at modeling simple cupcakes. For them, you will need polymer clay of brown or golden-beige color (chocolate and vanilla dough, respectively), colored clay - pink, green, lilac, etc., which will be used to create the glaze, as well as a bar of white clay. Additionally, you may need traditional decorations for cakes and pastries - small pastry beads, chopsticks, stars, etc. A knife and a rolling pin are required from the tools.
- Brown clay kneads in the hands, and a ball the size of a hazelnut kernel rolls out of it. On either side of the ball, you need to press a little to form a plane on which it will stand. Shallow strokes are made upward from this side with a knife, which will imitate the trace of a corrugated paper form in which the cake was “baked”. Now the deformed ball can be set aside, and you can take a piece of colored clay in your hands, which also warms up and rolls out on a flat surface with a rolling pin. There should be a flat cake with undulating edges, which is superimposed on the rounded part of the base ball and slightly smoothed, so that its edges look down. According to the size of the "icing" should not block more than half of the cupcake. If necessary, you can make the 2nd layer a lighter shade, but be sure to roll the cake with a diameter smaller. In the end, it is decorated with confectionary dressing. In the preheated oven "muffins" are sent on foil and baked for 20-25 minutes. The exact time and temperature are usually indicated on the packaging with polymer clay.
- If you have mastered such a simple cupcake, you can go to more complex cakes and pies. For example, lemon sand tart (open cake), for which besides the usual golden beige and white clay you need a translucent yellow (or other colors, if you want not lemon, but, for example, raspberry tart) and shimmering pastel to decorate the meringue. Initially a flat cake is rolled out of golden beige clay, its edges are cut so that an even circle is obtained. The easiest way to do this is to attach a coin with a large diameter or other round thing to the cake from above and "paint" it with a knife blade. The diameter of the cake should be 4-5 mm larger than the diameter of the future cake - this increase will go to the edges.
- From the cake, by raising its edges, a tartlet is formed, which must be started to fill with “fruit jelly”. Colored transparent clay is kneaded in the hands and formed into a thick flat cake (thickness equal to the height of the edges of the base of the cake), which fits into a tartlet. The transparent filler should be stretched so that it completely touches the inner edge of the base. On top of it, crushed white clay is laid out on purpose, unevenly: its thickest part falls on the center, to the periphery the layer becomes lighter. Hands need to give it the shape of elongated peaks of meringue, top walk on the clay shimmering pastel. Now a triangular piece is cut off with a knife from the raw material, and the product is placed in a hot oven.
DIY food for dolls: photos and recommendations
If you still do not feel ready to combine several layers of polymer clay, interfering with colors and textures, you can practice on more simple culinary products. For example, to make Viennese waffles: this requires only yellow clay, orange pastel or acrylic paint, as well as varnish, rolling pin and something that has a square small pattern for stamping. The mashed clay is divided into several small balls, which are flattened with a rolling pin to make thick (2-3 mm) flat cakes. You can square them, or you can leave them unevenly round. With the help of a stamp on the surface, a characteristic waffle pattern is created, the product is sent to the oven. After firing, it will only be pastel colored and varnished.
When working with polymer clay, you can use non-standard methods of shaping products. For example, a side dish in the form of rice is easy to make by turning to a simple metal tea strainer. A ball of white or milk-colored clay should simply be passed through small holes, as a result of which it will “cut” itself, slightly blind the resulting elements in a chaotic manner with tweezers, then put it on the same clay plate and bake in the oven.
The skin of mandarins can be made relief for a few seconds without resorting to a needle or other thin and sharp object. After the fruit is formed, it should be rolled in coarse salt and sent for 4-5 minutes. in a hot oven. Then the product is taken out and put in cold water: the salt will move away, and the surface of the mandarin will receive the traditional “pores” for it.
Do not be afraid to be ingenious when sculpting doll food made of polymer clay. The main thing is that it does not violate the standard algorithm of actions. The way in which you achieve the desired result does not matter. And so that the product retains an attractive appearance, do not forget to varnish it, after degreasing the surface.