How many interesting things can be made from such a fertile material as polymer clay! It’s not difficult at all to make this material with your own hands. Moreover, there are several recipes that allow you to get it at home.
Qualitative characteristics of polymer clay
Polymer clay must have several essential qualities - to be:
- soft but not loose;
- firm but not tight;
Polymer clay with their own hands at home on a set of these qualities is not inferior to the store option. It is only necessary to correctly observe the production technology - then it will be pleasant to work with the material and the crafts will be obtained without flaws. And in order to make colored clay, you need to add food coloring or acrylic paint at the stage of cooking material. But it is better to paint already finished products - so the color will be brighter.
Corn Starch Clay Recipe
The most popular and affordable version of polymer clay is made from cornstarch. However, this material has one feature - in the finished product it dries to a third. Therefore, the calculation of the size of the crafts should be carried out taking into account this circumstance.
- ¾ glue (PVA or wood glue);
- 1 tbsp. starch;
- 2 tbsp. l oils (baby or motor);
- 1 tbsp. l lemon juice.
- Mix glue with starch in a saucepan with a thick bottom.
- Add lemon juice and butter to the mixture.
- We put on a weak fire (or for 30 seconds in a microwave), cook, stirring constantly, to the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- Remove the pan from the stove, let it cool.
- We grease our hands with butter and start kneading the clay on the table until it reminds us of the pizza dough.
- The finished material is rolled into a ball, laid in the bag and sent to the refrigerator.
For the manufacture of handicrafts, the material is heated in the hands, after having been lubricated with a cream so that the clay does not stick. Finished products are dried naturally during the day.
From such clay, you can sculpt large jewelry and bases for magnets.
- In a saucepan with a thick bottom, mix the glue and ½ tbsp. water.
- Put the mixture on a slow fire and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the starch and the remaining water.
- Pour the starch into the mixture, drip glycerin, mix thoroughly.
- Remove the material from the heat, cover with a lid and let cool.
- Sprinkle the table with starch, lay out the clay and knead it until it is smooth and pliable.
- We roll the finished clay into a ball, pack it in a bag or a container and leave it in the fridge for a day or two.
By the way, you can prepare the material for this recipe in a water bath. This clay is suitable for the manufacture of small products with rounded shapes, since the material has a high degree of elasticity.
Latin clay, or pasta Francheze
Universal clay, suitable for any craft, came to us from Latin America. Its formulation requires the use of formaldehyde or formalin at 10% concentration. But in the domestic version, this component is perfectly replaced by white vinegar.
- 1 tbsp. corn starch;
- ½ tbsp. water;
- 2 tbsp. PVA glue;
- 2 tbsp. l glycerol;
- 2 tbsp. l cream with lanolin;
- 2 tbsp. l vinegar.
- In a saucepan with a thick bottom, mix the starch and water.
- We put on a weak fire and cook until the starch is completely dissolved.
- Pour in glue, stir.
- Add glycerin, cream and vinegar.
- Cook until mass begins to move away from the walls of the pan.
- Turn off the fire, give the mass to cool to a temperature when the material stops burning hands.
- Put on the hands of the cream and spread the mass on the table, sprinkled with starch.
- We knead the clay into a uniform elastic material, cover with a damp cloth and wait until it cools.
- We pack in a package, we store in the refrigerator.
Products from this type of clay should be dried for at least 3 days and only then painted.
Strong clay recipe
In order to not break products from the polymer base, for example, in the manufacture of toys, you need to use strong clay.
- 1 tbsp. PVA glue; ½ Art. l stearic acid;
- ½ tbsp. starch;
- 2 tbsp. l glycerol;
- 2 tbsp. l petrolatum;
- ½ tbsp. l citric acid.
- Pour glue, acid, glycerin, vaseline into the container and heat over low heat, stirring all the time.
- Pour citric acid.
- Still heat the mixture, add the starch, stir well.
- Heat until the mixture drains out of the pan after the spoon.
- Put the mass on the table, covered with baking paper, and knead it well to a smooth state.
- Give cool, put in the package and send in the refrigerator.
Liquid plastic as a type of polymer clay
Many fans of polymer products are wondering how to make polymer clay with their own hands so that the products are practically transparent. For this, a master of work with such material is recommended to add a special gel (Fimo or Sculpey) or petroleum jelly to the finished clay. The proportions of the additives each determines for itself, as for different products need a different degree of liquid state. The resulting plastic is very convenient to use to create:
- stained glass effect;
- small details (petals, leaves);
- decoration and translation of images.
Awesome opportunities to create a variety of accessories and souvenirs opens up polymer clay. With his own hands such material can even make a novice in hand-made. And the recipes tested by many masters make it possible to achieve high strength and quality of finished products.