Poinsettia flower originally from Mexico. From its red leaves, the formidable Aztecs extracted a dye to dye their tissues. Now her bright color will be able to decorate any windowsill, especially for holidays, which is why she got the name "Christmas star"when appeared in Europe.
In the US, poinsettia became the best-selling flower during Christmas. It can grow in the open field, decorating the house with beautiful foliage, but if climatic conditions allow. Unfortunately, after flowering poinsettia goes to "peace"That is why it is so important to take care of her at home to save the flower.
How to choose poinsettia?
If you decide to purchase this very beautiful flower, be careful when buying. Choose flowers that have not yet opened central inflorescences, poinsettia with buds will stand for a long time.
Her foliage should be lush and healthy, and the ground is not too wet. It is better to watch the flower for a while while it is in the store. Poinsettia can die in 2 weeks due to improper transportation.
If the flower is in the store for a long time, then it can be purchased. Shop choose warm, because poinsettia refers to heat-loving plants, preferring temperatures above 150C. Sharp temperature fluctuations provoke yellowing of leaves and their rapid fall off. In general, the life cycle of poinsettia includes three phases: winter flowering, a period of rest and growth.
Poinsettia: basic rules of care
- For a good growth of poinsettia, a bright light is needed, but in direct sunlight it is best to flower the flower. She needs at least 5 hours of sunshine a day.
- In the summer, the room where the flower is located must be periodically aired. In the summer, poinsettia can be brought to the open air, but it is necessary to protect it from drafts and precipitation.
- Do not allow parts of the flower to touch the cold window.
- In winter, during the flowering period of a poinsettia, the temperature in the room should not fall below 15.0WITH.At other times of the year, the usual room temperature from 18 to 25 will do.0C. At night, the temperature must be reduced by 2 degrees. When the plant is at rest, the optimum temperature is 130WITH.
- Before watering, the earth must be dry. In the roots, water stagnation must be avoided, otherwise oxygen starvation will damage the roots. Poinsettia can get root rot by staying too wet in soil for a long time.
- The humidity of air for a flower is average. From time to time its leaves should be sprayed with settled soft water at room temperature from a spray bottle. If the air in the room is dry, then it is necessary to spray more often.
- Poinsettia is transplanted in April-May. Before transplanting, the stems are cut by 1/3, leaving 5 strong buds, and placed in a warm, well-lit room. After it needs to be watered gently with well-settled warm water. After the leaves appear, you can begin transplanting. Land is better to choose with good and neutral drainage. Having transplanted, poinsettia is again cleaned in a warm room, they begin to spray and water abundantly. When new shoots appear, only 6 of the strongest are left, the rest are cut. Cut the shoots can be used as cuttings for reproduction.
Features care for poinsettia at home
- Unlike many flowers, poinsettia is at rest for quite a long time. After the bracts fall off, she goes on vacation for 2 months. During this period, you should stop feeding, reduce watering, and the temperature should be kept within 130WITH.
- As soon as the dormant period is over, fertilizing needs to be resumed in order to restore flower strength for the next flowering.
- In the period from the beginning of spring to the end of autumn, poinsettia must be fed with mineral fertilizer intended specifically for flowering plants.
- If the flower turns yellow, it is necessary to normalize the process of watering, as there may be a lack of moisture. If the earth is dry, the leaves will fall off, and the poinsettia itself will wither.
- The flower suffers from parasites, which include the mealybug, spider mites. To avoid these problems, you should be attentive to compliance with the rules of poinsettia care at home.
- To maintain a neat look and pomp in poinsettia, you can shorten the shoots a little bit.
- Remember: a long day of light is needed for the growth of poinsettia, and a short one for flowering.
- The flower is propagated in late spring or early summer by apical cuttings. Cooked cutting should have 5 internodes. When cutting off the appeared juice, it is necessary to wipe with a napkin, sprinkle with charcoal so that the cuttings are not rotted. They can be rooted in a loose and wet substrate or in water. Try to air the cuttings and spray them regularly. After a month, the roots will appear and the plant can be transplanted into small pots.
Poinsettia blooms at home
If you want to enjoy once again the flowering of an unusual flower, then following some recommendations, you can do it.When the leaves of the poinsettia begin to fall, watering is reduced, the soil should become almost dry. Do not fertilize the plant. In early April, the stems at a height of 15 cm from the ground cut. Put poinsettia in a well-lit place, begin to water and fertilize with mineral fertilizers.
As soon as poinsettia starts a new growth, transplant into fresh soil. For poinsettia to blossom, it needs to spend a lot of time in the dark. In October, for 8 weeks, provide the plant with 14 hours of total darkness. You can use a box or cabinet, and during the day put the poinsettia in a lit place. Prolonged illumination enhances leaf growth, but inhibits the appearance of buds. When the bracts seem, start ordinary care. After 3 weeks of dark nights, new flower buds will form in poinsettia.
Unusual festive plant from South America - poinsettia with proper care at home will be the perfect decoration for any room in the house.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com.ru- Yuliya