Platicodone is a herbaceous perennial with very beautiful flowers. Its buds resemble balloons, and when they open, they become bell-shaped corollas of blue or blue color. Platicodone does not require special attention, growing from the seeds of this plant is very simple. Enough to pick up the soil and do not forget to water the plant, and in gratitude it will give you delightfully beautiful flowers that will be a worthy decoration of any garden, greenhouse or flower bed.
Platicodone: growing from seed, transplanting
- Platicodone is propagated by seed or vegetative means, but the first option is more convenient and suitable for novice gardeners. For reproduction of this beautiful plant, you can buy ready-made seeds, and then just collect them at the end of summer. However, there is one important aspect - young shoots of platicodone can rot, therefore, good care is needed for seedlings.
- Planting seeds can be carried out in a greenhouse, immediately open ground or in special containers and grow seedlings on the windowsill. To platicodone was like in the photo, and the beginning of flowering occurred in the summer, the seeds are sown in early March. The main thing - the seeds should be placed as close as possible to the surface of the earth. The fact is that the seeds of the plant are very sensitive to light, so they can simply be slightly pressed into the ground, and not covered with a layer of substrate from above.
- For planting seeds, it is necessary to prepare a fairly light and loose soil. If it is too dense, the seeds may simply not germinate. An excellent option would be loamy soil, to which a part of fine-grained sand is added (gravel can also be used).
- As soon as the seeds are planted in the ground, it is necessary to cover the top of the container with a layer of transparent film, clean glass will also fit. Thus, a greenhouse effect will be created, which in turn will speed up the process of seedling emergence. Now the container is placed on a well-lit window sill, however, you need to make sure that there is no direct sunlight.
- Seedlings need regular, but moderate watering, it is impossible to prevent stagnant moisture. The temperature in the room where the container with the seedlings will be located should be about 22 degrees.
- Growing platycodone at home from seeds is very simple if suitable conditions are created for the plant. With proper care, the first seedlings will begin to appear within 2-3 weeks after planting the seeds. As soon as the sprouts begin to germinate, it is necessary to gradually reduce the temperature in the room to 15 degrees, and periodically air the greenhouse and increase the duration each time so that the shoots begin to harden. Watering deserves special attention - it must be moderate, otherwise weak plants may begin to rot and will die as a result.
Platicodone: planting and care in the open field
Seeds can be planted immediately in open ground in the fall. They should be planted not too deeply, lightly rammed into the soil. From above, they are covered with a layer of sifted earth or compost. For the seeds to endure winter and spring emerge in the spring, a layer of soil of 3 cm will be sufficient.
If the seeds are sown immediately in the ground, as described above, the first shoots appear in late May, and sometimes in early summer. This method has one serious drawback - the seeds germinate very slowly, some may die, the plants grow poorly, and the beginning of flowering may occur in a few years. Therefore, it is preferable to choose the method of growing seedlings on the windowsill or in the greenhouse.
Seedlings should be planted in the ground in the early days of June, when warm weather sets in. The most important thing is to carry out the procedure of planting young plants very carefully and gently, so as not to accidentally injure weak roots. The ideal option would be to perform seed planting in peat pots, with which then put them in the wells.
If peat pots were not used, then it is necessary to take a simple garden spatula and carefully remove the seedlings, along with a clod of earth on the roots that cannot be removed. At the new place the plant is placed with the ground and slightly compacted.
Platicodone is among the perennial plants that very poorly tolerate transplanting to a new place. That is why, before planting the seedlings, you need to choose the right place in the garden, relying on the fact that the plant can live in the front garden for more than 7 years.
Before transplanting platicodone, it is necessary to loosen the ground well and add fertilizers - wood ash (1/2 tbsp.), Complex fertilizers (1 tbsp. L.). A separate not very deep hole is made for each seedling. Platicodone is planted at a distance of about 18 cm, after placing the sprout in the ground, it is covered with substrate from above and lightly tamped down so that the roots are not injured. Then the soil is mulched with peat, and the plant is watered, but not too plentiful.
Features plant care
- As soon as the plant is transplanted into the open ground, watering should be daily, but moderate. This regime should be followed during the first few weeks, then watering is reduced.
- All weeds are necessarily removed, as they prevent the root system of platicodons from developing properly.
- Top dressing is done once a month, and special impurities intended for flower plants should be used. Their structure includes the increased content of phosphorus and nitrogen.
- Platicodons have the ability to grow quickly upwards, and this can greatly spoil their attractive appearance. To avoid this trouble, you need to periodically pinch them. You can also use special substances that slow down growth.
- For winter, you need to cut off all the stalks, and the soil is mulched.
Having planted platikodon in the garden you will not regret, after all the growing plant looks simply amazing. In tubs and on balconies, you can grow dwarf varieties that can be a wonderful decoration for a garden gazebo. Bright flowers of platicodon look incredibly beautiful against gray stones, therefore this plant is often used in alpine hills or stone gardens.