Peas - an extremely useful product for our health. This is a bright representative of the legume family.Legumes are especially helpful. vegetarians, as they contain protein, its composition is close to the animal.
A skillful hostess can cook not one tasty and satisfying dish from peas.Used peas in fresh and dried the form(requires preparation) as well as in canned.
Pea - annual herb. Stem climbing Leaves hard-pinnate. The last leaf of the leaf is modified into a long mustache. With the help of whiskers, peas cling to the support and grow up. Without a support, he would grow on the ground, as he has a weak unstable stem. Pea has large stipules. Flowers white peas or pink.
Peas are divided into several groups: dwarf (up to 60 cm high), medium tall (up to 100 cm high) and tall (up to 150 cm high).
Peas are still divided into shelling, sugar andcerebral. Sugar and shelling peas are used in the food industry. Bioplastic is also made from shelling. Brain peas for soups do not use, it is mainly grown for the canning industry.
- Peas planted in the spring. Usually in late April - early May.You can plant peas early. Do not be afraid that you are slowly developing it, because its yield will be higher than that of late-set peas.
- At a temperature of + 4 ° C, peas are already able to germinate. Shoots of peas can tolerate light frosts of 3 ° C - 4 ° C.
- Practically any soil will be suitable for planting peas. On sour and too damp ground peas will feel bad, it will grow badly and may even die.
- Good plant peas in mixed landings. Perfect for him the neighborhood of such cultivated plants as onions or lettuce. Peas do not tolerate extreme heat. The leaves of the salad will help him to transfer the heat easily in their shadows.
- Before planting, it is better to germinate pea seeds, but you can not soak it. But in this case they will need to be watered well during the first days.
- To check the seeds for germination before planting do the following:pour the seeds into a saline solution (30 grams of salt per liter of water). Watch the seed reaction. Those that surfaced, throw out. Those that have settled to the bottom, rinse, dry and boldly plant.
- The distance between the pea seeds during planting should be 3-5 cm. The planting depth is also 3-5 cm.
- It is recommended to cover the planting with branches so that birds do not peck at them.
- Pea - moisture-loving plant. During flowering requires enhanced watering. Good watering and requires the period of formation of seeds.
- In cool weather, you can water the peas once a week (if there is no rain).
- In hot, dry weather, watering increases quantitatively. At a minimum, water at this time should be at least two times a week. If possible more often. Watering should be abundant.
- Feed infusion of mullein. Produce the first feeding when buds are tied. The second feeding should be carried out only three weeks after the first.
- When a pea reaches a height of 15 cm, it is necessary to pile up.
- Pea tops during flowering pinch.
- Make sure that there is a support near the pea planting. If this is not possible, put a few high pegs next.
- As the peas mature, green peas are harvested for fresh consumption (salads, soups, etc.). To obtain dry peas, it is left on the plants for some time after ripening. Then harvested, dried in the sun and peeled.
Pests and Pea Diseases
The most important and common pest of peas is pea weevil. It reduces seed germination, yield, damages the peas themselves.
Note that yellow grain varieties of peas are less resistant to the pest. Therefore, it is better to choose green-green varieties of peas.
It is also recommended to plant early and, accordingly, early to remove the peas.
If the plants are still amazed, they are destroyed and well cultivated land, where they were planting peas.