Patchwork is a very popular technique for creating exclusive things. Now it is increasingly gaining popularity among people who want to decorate a house with hand-made products. It can be used to create almost anything, but the most widespread use has been in sewing blankets, rugs, curtains and panels.
This technique will not only create your own home style, but also help to realize your creative abilities. To make things really beautiful, you need to start learning quilting, making the most simple objects. The main thing in the art of learning will be the ability to tailor and properly fasten together the rags of various shapes.
To learn the technique of quilting, you need to master some of the basics. One of its main elements is the square. It is the simplest of all the elements and is most often used to create products.
In order to begin the study of patchwork, decide what you want to create, and what figure to get in the end on the finished product. You will also need to get started several types of fabric, ruler, scissors, pencil and graph paper, cardboard, roller knife, calculator and tape measure. Draw the contours of the future product on graph paper. Determine how wide and long your creation will be. Then calculate the size of the square. It is desirable that a whole number of shreds be placed over the cuts.
Only after this, cut a piece from the cardboard prepared in advance. It is best to build a square, starting from one of the corners. On adjacent sides set aside equal segments. To the marked points, draw perpendicular lines to the point of their intersection.
Patchwork for beginners: how to cut fabric
- After the pattern is ready, make a pattern of paper on it. To do this, circle the pattern, adding 0.7 cm to each side of the edge. Next you need it for ironing allowances.
- Then you need to count the number of squares for each type of fabric of the future product.
- Putting the fabric inside out, paper pattern circle. When circling the pattern, use soap, a pencil or chalk, felt-tip pens or helium pens that can leave marks that are very difficult to remove. The resulting element cut strictly along the longitudinal lines. This will help avoid block skew. Repeat the same procedure on other types of fabric.
- Please note that the threads of fabrics should be placed on the future product at one angle to the side of the square.
- When using a new fabric, be sure to cut along the hem.
Patchwork: tips for beginners
- For future patterns, choose a thin cardboard, but it must be tight. In this case, the perpendicularity of the sides of the pattern should be strictly observed.
- If you decide to sew a bedspread with a lining, then prepare it in advance by cutting out the selected fabric from the bottom layer.
- Cutting squares from fabric will be easiest with special tailors' scissors or a roller knife.
- It is desirable that all the pieces of fabric are in harmony with each other.
- After making the squares you need to sew them. To do this, attach 2 squares facing each other. Sections at the same time must be strictly aligned.
- When sewing by hand, allowances need to be ironed on the wrong side using patterns. The stitches should fall into the fold. Sew squares from corner to corner without breaking the border.
- After you sew 2 pairs of squares, go to their connection. Start sewing to the corner, then pierce the fabric with a needle at the point of intersection and make the first stitch between the first squares through the corner. Then connect the next two corners, then the third and fourth, and go back to where they started to sew. After completing the circle, continue sewing further.
- Try to make the seam on both sides strictly along the marking line. Smoothing the finished block, it is desirable to iron the connection of the 4 corners, making it flat. In the same way, combining the points of all angles, stitching of shreds in the form of triangles, rhombuses and other shapes occurs.
How to sew a quilt?
- To sew a quilt, prepare 10 squares of 45 by 45 sizes out of four types of fabric. For the seamy side of the blanket, it is best to take a fabric 170 cm long and 220 cm wide. For insulation we need a synthetic winterizer of the same size.
- Make a pattern and cut the squares. Along the cut line begin to sew all the squares in turn.
- Then iron all the seams.
- You can flash squares several times, stacking them and swapping them.
- Start collecting the front part of the blanket, stitching new pairs of squares.
- As soon as you sew the squares of the front side, proceed to stitching the bottom, padding polyester and the front of the blanket.
- After the blanket is ready, sheathe it around the edge of a wide edging with a strip of fabric with a pattern.
We all want our home to be cozy and welcoming, and the easiest way to make it so is the quilting technique. Before you start sewing any thing, you should think about its design, colors, fabrics and form. At the very beginning it is better to use the advice of more experienced craftsmen that can be found on the Internet.
Having learned a patchwork, you can easily decorate your house with exclusive and beautiful things that will give it a unique charm and highlight your sense of beauty.