The homeland of palm trees is tropics and subtropics, therefore it is a plant that loves heat. Palm roots are very sensitive to temperature changes. Therefore, in the winter time there should be a high temperature in the room. The main danger for palm trees are drafts. The most optimal temperature for palm trees is 14-22 C. Palm trees should also be sprayed, especially in summer. In the summer they are sprayed 2-3 times a week, but in the winter 1 time will be enough. In the summer, palm trees are watered plentifully.
Palm tree at home
Palm - light-loving plant. Therefore, palm trees are located near windows, and in summer they protect from light, as foliage yellowing or burns may occur.
Palm is unpretentious in care and has a slow growth, which makes it possible to grow it at home. Palm trees make the atmosphere of home comfort, decorate the room. For the cultivation of palm trees usually choose more spacious premises. Basically, it is living rooms or a hall.
Watering palm trees at home
- The ground should be wet. Drying leads to yellowing of the leaves. If watering the plants is moderate, but the leaves still turn yellow - this means that the room is dry air. Palm trees are watered with settled water.
- Soil choice is also important. Young plants are planted in lighter soil - 2 parts of leaf and 1 part of humus with sand. Then, with further transplants, sod ground, large chips are added to this mixture. Sometimes soil is used for dracaena.
Palm tree transplant at home
Palm trees transplanted in the spring. Young - every year, and old - in 2-4 years. Gently transplant the plant, you can not damage the roots, they immediately begin to die off, the rotted roots immediately need to be removed, cut off with a sharp knife. After planting, the ground should be compacted. Pots for palm trees should be tall and narrow, as the roots of this plant rise up.
Reproduction and fertilizing palm trees
Palm tree propagated by seeds, which are sown in a mixture of land and peat, moss, sand. Seeds begin to germinate at a temperature of 25-35 C. At the bottom of the pot put a drainage layer, where else add pieces of charcoal. The seed germination time depends on the type of palm. Suppose a date palm is 30-50 days, hamerops is 30-50 days.
In summer, palm trees are fed 1 time in 10 days, and in winter 1 time - 20 days. In the water, fertilize the fertilizer you need and fertilize the soil of the plant. Do after such a procedure loosening the soil. It is very useful.
Problems of growing palm trees at home
- The brown tips of the leaves - the most basic cause - dry air or insufficient watering.
- Yellow leaves - insufficient watering plants.
- Brown spots on the leaves - waterlogging of the soil, a sharp decrease in air temperature in the room.
- Brown leaves - in any plant, the old leaves die off and begin to turn yellow, they are simply gently removed, but if the young leaves begin to turn yellow, this means that the soil is too wet.
Palm pests at home
- Spider mite Appears in dry air. A spider web appears on the stems of the plant, the leaves start to fall off because of this. In this case, the plant is wiped with a soapy sponge and washed with warm water.
- Shchitovki. Brown plaques that form on the surface of the leaves. The leaves start to dry as this pest sucks the cell sap. The plant is also washed with soapy water.
- Mealybugs This parasite infects the leaves, shoots. The leaves bend and dry.
Types of palm trees
Currently 2800 species of palm trees are known. Among them are isolated and dwarfs and giants. Here are several types of palm trees that gardeners grow at home: brachea, butia, Washingtonia, hyoforba, hamedoria, cariotus, liviston, rapis, yucca, beef, Belmore beef, beef choke, sabal beef trachycarpus
Here is the number of palm trees you can grow at home. With great pleasure you will admire them, as this plant is very unusual from all sides. In all this diversity, you can choose what suits you best.