Osteospermum is an incredibly beautiful plant that is famous for its diversity. This flower looks like a daisy or a daisy, so many people call it an African daisy or a Cape daisy.
The plant has long been very popular among gardeners. Osteospermum is distinguished by its unpretentiousness, long flowering and decorative qualities. It grows with shrubs, whose height can reach up to 1 m, depending on the variety.
Osteospermum: general ideas
Osteospermum belongs to the Asteraceae family. The genus combines more than 70 species of plants that originate from South Africa.
The flower is valued for its elegance and ability for long flowering. The plant blooms from early June to mid-October. Osteospermum flowers resemble a chamomile inflorescence, about 5 cm in diameter. They can be painted in a wide variety of colors - it depends on the variety.
Of the variety of species, often used for growing Eklonis or osteospermum Eklon. This perennial shrub is distinguished by its branching stems and leaves at the edges of which, the cloves protrude.
Many varieties of hybrids and varieties were bred from this variety., which differ in the size of the bush, color and width of flowers.
- "Volta" - has lilac-pink petals, which eventually turn white.
- "Bamba" - the petals are painted white, which eventually turn purple.
- "Congo" - the petals are painted in pink and purple.
- "Zulu" - the petals are yellow.
- "Sky and ice" - the petals have a white color with a blue edging.
- "Buttermilk" - petals have a pale yellow color.
- "Symphony Cream" - the base of the petals has a narrow strip of purple color, the flowers themselves are painted in lemon shade.
- "Silver Sparkler" - the petals are white in color, and the leaves are white dots.
Cultivation of osteospermum can be carried out both from seed and cuttings.. If you want to preserve the valuable variety and properties of the plant, it is best to grow it with cuttings. If subtleties of selection are not important to you, an easy way to grow osteospermum from seeds is suitable.
The seeds of the plant are rather large, which makes it possible to plant the flower in separate containers, avoiding the stage of picking. This will help prevent injury to the plant.
For sowing, a mixture of humus, sand and turf is taken. Seeds are planted in late March - early April to a depth of 5 mm. The first shoots will appear within 1 week after planting.
If you decide to carry out the cultivation of plants cuttings, they must be prepared in January. Cuttings rooted in the ground at a temperature of 20 degrees.
- Watering. Like any plant osteosperm must be watered. The flower needs regular but moderate watering. It can easily transfer a temporary lack of moisture in hot weather, but you do not need to experiment with it. In winter, the plant needs a small amount of water. Water it in such a way that the soil does not dry out completely. The flower does not tolerate too wet soil.
- Location. Osteospermum is recommended to be put on sites with direct lighting, but it can grow in partial shade. In the autumn the plant must be moved to a bright and cool room. Osteospermum is resistant to wind.
- Temperature. The plant perfectly tolerates cold, but it is still recommended to temper the growing seedlings. When the first leaflets appear, gradually lower the temperature in the room where osteosperm grows. To do this, you can put a flower pot on the balcony or just ventilate the room, reducing the temperature in the room. The first time is not more than 15 minutes, then gradually increase the ventilation time, reducing the temperature to 12 degrees.
- Fertilizer. It is necessary to feed up osteospermum during the flowering period. Be sure to remove stunted flowers and leaves.
- Breeding. To preserve the decorative properties of the plant, vegetative propagation is used. Osteospermum perfectly reproduces by seeds, which are recommended to be planted in an airy substrate with sand admixture.
- Diseases and pests. This shrub is resistant to various pests, so nothing to worry about. But he does not tolerate strong shading and abundant watering.
Osteospermum is a beautiful plant, rich in a variety of varieties and colors. Many gardeners prefer to grow a flower because of its simplicity and versatility. It will look perfect on balconies, verandas and flower beds, delighting its owners with amazing beauty!