A mimulus or hawaique is an original creeping plant that is just perfect for growing on balconies and in small gardens. The main advantage of the species is that it blooms for a very long time. Inflorescences in the form of bluebells can be bright yellow or brown-red shades, complemented by colorful specks.
Today, there are many varieties of mimulyus, while there are plants whose inflorescences have interesting double bells, literally entering each other. Very beautiful and elegant are the cardinal, double and tiger mimulyus. The variety of musky sponge, which is complemented by small yellow flowers, is considered original and special. Mimuluses conquer with pleasant and delicate aroma not only of flowers, but also of leaves. In addition, this species grows well in pots on the balconies, and in the open field. He is among the perennial plants, which can easily overwinter only under the cover of woody leaves. However, in almost all cases, it is necessary to sow the seeds every year, which are sown in early April.
Seeds can be purchased at the store or collected after ripening on their own. To collect it is necessary to choose only large-leaved bushes with flowers of bright shades.
Leopard mimulyus: features of the species
The mimulyus leopard has large flowers, the diameter of which reaches 6 cm. The main advantage of this species is its compactness, due to which it is simply ideal for growing in window boxes, containers, pots.
Approximately 6 weeks later, after sowing, the seeds rise, while abundant flowering continues until the beginning of the first frost. Seedlings should be sown at the end of February and up to the beginning of April (superficially).
The plant is cold-resistant and moisture-loving, perfectly tolerates partial shade. The leopard mimulus has colorful bright yellow flowers, and on their rim there is a scattering of small burgundy specks, almost the same as on the body of a leopard. It seems that to touch these specks should be velor, but this is an optical illusion. This hybrid variety can reach a length of 25 cm.
Reproduction is carried out not only by seed, but also by cuttings.
Seeds of mimulyus can be purchased at a flower shop or independently collected after full ripening from the fruit-boxes, which appear at the end of flowering. To grow mimulyus from seeds, you must follow a certain sequence of actions and rules:
- The seeding is carried out at the end of February or the beginning of April, while the temperature should not be below 18 degrees;
- A mild and well-hydrated soil is suitable for mimulus;
- For full growth of seedlings it is necessary to provide it with the necessary amount of sunlight;
- After the seeds are placed in the ground, the container is covered with a simple transparent film or glass on top;
- Watering crops should be strictly as needed using a spray;
- Under the right conditions, the rise of seeds occurs approximately 3-4 days after sowing;
- As soon as the first full leaves appear on the plants (after about 1-2 weeks), you can move the plants to a cooler room (10-12 degrees), while providing them with the necessary lighting;
- After 4 full leafs appear, you can begin to pick the seedlings in advance on the prepared peat cups;
- During the growth of seedlings, it is important for her to provide a stable and low temperature;
- Seedlings need regular watering and 2 dressings with a weak solution of potash fertilizer.
Subject to the strict observance of all the above recommendations, after 2 months, it is possible to land the mimulus to a permanent place.
Perennial varieties can be grown as seeds and cuttings. For propagation by cuttings, it is necessary to cut them from completely healthy plants, and then transplant them into the prepared sandy soil and cover with a transparent film on top. It is in this soil that the plants will be able to take root much faster.
Planting and care
Planted plants should be on a semi-shaded or well-lit sunny place. It is important to ensure that the soil is loamy and contains a sufficient amount of humus and peat. Immediately before planting, digging and watering is carried out. The seedling should be planted at a short distance - 20-30 cm.
If it was planned to plant the mimulus in flower pots, it is necessary to independently prepare the soil - mixed humus (3 parts), peat (1 part) and leaf ground (2 parts), add a little sand and turf.
Mimulus is one of unpretentious plants and can grow well even under adverse conditions. But to enhance flowering and growth, it is recommended to follow a few tips:
- Young bushes need to pinch, so that they become more lush, develops bushiness;
- Periodically it is necessary to cut off all the old inflorescences and dried stems;
- 1 time, approximately, in 20 days, it is necessary to feed the plants with mineral fertilizers (15 ml per bucket of water). The only exception is winter time;
- Flowering mimulyus occurs 2 times a year - in spring and autumn. It is during the period between flowering that the bushes should be cut as short as possible. Then fertilizing is carried out with complex fertilizers that are diluted in water. The shoots of the plants are quickly restored and will soon bloom again;
- With the onset of the hot summer period, the plant needs intensive watering. It is important to ensure that the soil around it is always wet, but you should not overflow too. This can trigger illness;
- If it was noticed that small holes appear on the leaves of the mimulus, it is useful to reduce the intensity of watering;
- Provided the plants are grown in containers or pots, it is important to periodically transplant after the roots fill up all the free space. In order not to get the whole earthen room and not to damage the roots of the plant, it is necessary to cut the bottom into the pots and place the flower in a looser pot, and fill it with soil mixture from above;
- Perezimovat mimulyusy can easily and in the room - the plant is transplanted into a relatively small pot, so that the roots were in place, cut off and placed on a well-lit, cool window-sill until next spring.
Mimulus: photos of flowers
If mimulyus is grown from seeds, the first flowering occurs approximately at the end of May and lasts until the beginning of the first frost. Experienced gardeners recommend using these flowers in the preparation of flowerbeds and rock gardens, and of course, for planting your own garden or balcony.
In its form, the colorful and bright flowers of mimulus resemble the orchid, but they do not require special attention and care. Of course, we should not forget about regular weeding, weed removal and pest and disease control. But it does not take you much time. And the original flower of mimulyus will decorate your flower bed or balcony until the autumn.