Mesembryantemum is a beautiful, bright plant with unusual leaves, thanks to which it is also called "crystal grass". The flowers are like chamomile, and the leaves in the sun begin to sparkle, and it seems that many diamonds are scattered on their surface. This interesting effect is easily explained - on the surface of the green leaves there are glandular hairs that look like sparkling drops of crystal.
How to grow a beautiful Mesembryantemum from seeds?
It is a perennial plant, but it is grown as an annual crop, since the mesembryantemum does not tolerate frost. The reproduction of crystal grass is done by grafting or seed. If the 2nd option was chosen, it is necessary to sow the seeds at the end of winter or early March. Seedlings are germinated in protected ground.
For the mesembryantemma, it is necessary to prepare a well-permeable air, loose soil, to which sand is necessarily added - sifted peat, coarse sand, and ground (steamed). If you make the earth mixture yourself, then the components are taken in the following ratio 2: 2: 1. Until the first shoots appear, it is necessary to maintain a temperature of +15 degrees, after a couple of weeks it drops to +10 degrees, the crops are transferred to a well-lit place.
Mezembryantemum: landing and care (photo)
- Dive seedlings on peat pots can be a few weeks later, as soon as they are fully matured. If cultivation of the mesembryanthum from seeds is carried out in full compliance with these recommendations, after the frosts have passed, the plant can be transplanted into open ground. When disembarking the crystal mezembryantemum, it is necessary to ensure that there is not approximately 20 cm between the plants.
- Seeds can be planted immediately in open ground, however, in this case, the plant will bloom much later. Taking into account the climatic conditions, the time of landing of the mezembryantemma will also be determined, but not earlier than all the frosts pass completely.
- It is recommended to grow the plant in well-lit areas, the soil should be low in salt, the ideal option would be sandy. The plant is hardy enough, flowering continues until the first frost. You should not grow mesembryantemum with high humidity, as this can provoke the beginning of leaf rotting.
- Requires moderate watering, which need only young plants. Do not allow stagnation of water, otherwise the roots will rot. If a strong soil moistening is noticed, the watering temporarily stops completely. In the autumn, the Mesembryanthum bush can be transplanted into a pot and continue to grow at home, and in the spring it can be planted in open ground again. The plant is perfectly tolerate heat, but on dry days it is recommended to spray air from the spray gun around the mezbrianthemum.
- Several times a month fertilizer is applied, in the period from May to September. The plant is highly resistant to diseases and pests, unpretentious in care, but needs good lighting, since it is light that has a direct effect on the intensity of growth and flowering of the mezbryanthemum.
- A plant can only be transplanted on the condition that the root system is firmly covered with earth. Perfectly any sand mixture intended for succulents is perfect. You should not choose loamy and very nutritious soils, as the plant will not take root in them and just die.
- If the plant is grown in poorly drained soil, as well as with excessive watering, root rot may appear. The treatment is very simple - the watering stops temporarily and is performed only when the soil dries out completely.
- To grow a sparkle mezembryantemum, you can buy ready-made seeds or collect them yourself. If the second option is chosen, it is worth remembering that seed must be prepared in advance. After flowering is complete, seed pods are collected and dropped into a container filled with water. Now you need to wait a bit, because the box should be well soaked, after which the seeds are taken from it, which are well washed and laid out in the sun to dry out. After collecting the seeds retain their qualities for 2 years.
Mezembryantemum has one interesting feature - the flowers open only in the presence of sunny clear weather, so it can still be called a "half-day". This creeping plant will be a great addition to alpine slides, flower borders and rocky gardens. Mezembryantemum can be grown in pots, so that your balcony will be bright and unusual, because flowering continues until October.