The houseplant with the unusual name Maranta differs from its counterparts in bright green large oval-shaped leaves. Its leaves are unevenly colored, have bright veins and spots. Maranth grows up to 20 cm, and its leaves - either horizontally or vertically.
What care at home is required, come to us from the tropics of South America?
Maranta: rules of care
- The most important thing in the care of arrowroot is to create conditions for it that are close to the habitat in the southern and humid tropics. Maranta belongs to the heat and moisture-loving plants, who do not like shade and direct sunlight. She needs high humidity, air temperature, which should not fall below 120With and diffused light. The only exception is the variegated appearance of arrowroot, which needs a lot of light.
- In summer, marante requires abundant watering, which will not allow earthlings to dry. But also it does not suit and overflows, which can lead to acidification of the soil and cause rotting of the roots. In winter, watering should be moderate, but high humidity is mandatory.
- Maranta needs frequent spraying with soft water at room temperature. So that when spraying leaves do not leave white marks, spraying can be replaced by the presence of water in the pan. It is advisable to place the flower on a tray with water and gravel, but at the same time the bottom of the flowerpot should not touch the water.
- The earth mixture for arrowroot should consist of 2 parts of leafy earth, a small amount of crumbs of charcoal and 1 part of peat, humus, and coniferous mixed with ground sand. It is mandatory to put drainage from gravel, shards and foam plastic at the bottom of the pot. This will allow excessive moisture to leave, and the roots to breathe. Vases for arrowroot should not be deep, since the root system of arrowroot is shallow.
- To make the maranth feel excellent in your home, try to maintain the temperature in the room where it is located, in the warm season, from 20 to 260C, and cold - from 17 to 180C. Required avoid drafts and cold coasters. Otherwise, instead of flowering, the leaves at arrowroot will begin to wither and fall. If you put maranth in the shade, it will lose its bright color, the leaves themselves will become pale, and the spots will disappear.
- The optimal place for this flower is a stand in the center of the room. In winter, it can be transferred to the window sill, as during this period there is usually not enough lighting.
- Fertilize the flower with complex mineral fertilizers. To do this, dilute 1 g of fertilizer with 1 l of water and pour a flower every 2 weeks with this solution during the summer, autumn and spring.
- The arrowroot usually blooms in summer, releasing an arrow with a spikelet, on which small pale pink flowers appear, gathered in an inflorescence. Propagated by dividing the rhizome during transplantation or cuttings.
Reproduction and transplant of arrowroot
- Maranta, like many plants of its kind, needs transplant every year, hold which is better in the spring. For transplanting should choose a wide and shallow dishes. At the bottom of the need to put charcoal and drainage. The soil should be light, its composition by experienced growers is recommended to do this: peat - 2 parts, 1 part - sheet humus, turf and sand, 0.5 parts - tree bark.
- Together with transplant maranth can be propagated. With it, it is enough to cut off the apical stalk and immediately plant it in the soil, then pour it abundantly and cover with a can. Another method is planting cuttings in a container with water, where they have to release the roots. Cleaning the cuttings in this period is better in a darkened place.
- It is possible to propagate arrowroot and seeds, if she tied and mature seeds, but this is a great rarity, and in the home, this method will not work.
- Highly A simple breeding method for arrowroot is rhizome division. It is recommended to use it in spring and autumn when the air temperature crosses the mark on the thermometer 210S. Marant must be divided into several parts, the most important thing is that several leaves and roots remain on the separated part. This part should be planted in the prepared soil and covered with a plastic transparent bag, making several holes for air intake before. The unrooted part before rooting must be placed in a bright place.
- Certain types of arrowroot during winter are very strongly drawn out, losing decorativeness. Therefore it is necessary to form their decorativeness and pomp. trimming. In this case, the shoots can be cut at the root. After maranth with new power will be covered with decorative, beautiful foliage and new shoots. And cut shoots can be excellent material for rooting. Cuttings need to cut into a length of 10 cm, with a sheet and a pair of internodes. Below the lower interstice, the oblique cut is made lower by 2 cm, and the cut higher by 1 cm of the node should be straight.
- It is better to process the prepared cuttings with a growth stimulator and root them in water or soil, where peat prevails, covered with foil with holes. The soil should always be wet, but not wet. Root cuttings should be after planting after 6 weeks.
See also: How to grow tsikas revolyuta at home?
Maranta belongs to the flowers, whose homeland is warm, very humid and with the diffused light of the tropics of America. In order for her to feel at home, like at home, she needs to providefrequent spraying, diffused light and comfortable warmth. And then she will answer you in return, delighting many years with beautiful and decorative leaves.
Especially for womeninahomeoffice.com.ru- Yuliya