Macrame is an old type of needlework based on knotting. It is believed that the art of nodular weaving came to us from Japan and China, but similar things were found in the territories of other countries. In the ancient pyramids of Egypt, whose age is about 4 thousand years old, during excavations, samples of macrame were found.
Ancient peoples use weaving nodules to store, accumulate and transmit information of various kinds. Inca invented nodular form of writing. Decipher it in color, size and location of the nodes relative to each other. An exemplary system of writing was also among the ancient inhabitants of China and the Indians from North America.
Weaving macrame for beginners: the foundations of art
Macrame has found very wide application in the modern world. Nodular patterns are used as ornaments for clothing and body, make capes, jewelry, gloves, belts and lace, handbags and wallets. With the help of macrame you can decorate your home. An original and beautiful look will be woven from multi-colored threads tablecloths and bedspreads, lampshades for chandeliers and floor lamps, pots for indoor plants and panels for decorating walls.
In macrame, there are many techniques of weaving, which allows you to come up with new schemes and methods of using patterns. Even having mastered the basic knots, you can create works of incredible beauty.
First of all, you will need to purchase threads. You can use options from silk and cotton, nylon and cords from other materials. Look beautiful products from twisted threads. They will be more relief, and the pattern is clear and pronounced. For weaving using macrame technique, it is not recommended to use fluffy threads. Pooh will hide the pattern, and the product will look messy. Silk threads are very beautiful and luxurious, but working with them is uncomfortable due to the fact that they are too slippery. The pattern can easily unravel, so you need to tie knots very tight.
For work you will need:
- Pins and needles of different types and sizes
- Sharp scissors
- Tape measure
Dense and tight pillows to secure the threads. A roller from a couch or a tight oval-shaped pillow or in the form of a cylinder is best suited. In extreme cases, you can use a piece of foam or a bag filled with sand. You can mount the product on the back of a chair or chair. The main requirements for the base: stability, density, softness so that the pins pierce it easily.
How to prepare the thread to get started? There are 2 types of thread in macrame: basic and working. The main ones do not participate in the work itself, they are necessary for the attachment of workers. The main thread should be several times longer than the width of the product that you want to weave. At the ends of the main thread, simple knots are made and fastened to the base with the help of pins or needles. Then attach to it working threads, which can be quite a lot.
Worker threads should be cut so that they are 3, and preferably 5 times longer than the finished work. Usually in the schemes for macrame it is already indicated how long such strings should be made. If you make a very large product to work with huge threads uncomfortable, they need to be wound on a bobbin and secure. If you do not have any spools, you can use curlers with elastic bands for this purpose.
If it so happened that the thread turned out short and it is not enough to complete the work, it can be lengthened. This is done in this way: about 4 cm from the end of the thread, its thickness is reduced by half with small sharp scissors and glued to another thread prepared in the same way. Then both threads twist well.
How to fix the thread at the beginning of work? There are many ways of fixing, some of them are very simple, others are more complicated, but they look beautiful. In any case, the thread must be bent in half or 1 of its edges made slightly longer than others, it all depends on what pattern you want to create.
The main and easiest ways to fasten threads:
- Bend the thread and put the loop that you have put on the main thread, and then bend over it and stretch both edges into this loop (Figure A).
- Fold the thread in the same way as with method 1, but put it under the main thread. Bend forward over the main body and retract the ends into a loop (Figure B).
- Do the first stages in the same way as in method 2, and then fix the 2 ends of the thread again, each one should be located on its own side. This method of attachment is done if they want the base not to be visible (Figure B).
Schemes to help novice craftswomen
First you need to master several techniques of weaving macrame, using them you can create many beautiful products.
Learn to weave bracelets with beads
Prepare materials and tools:
- 3 pieces of waxed cord, the length of each 2 m
- Large beads with thread color
- Togl bracelet closure
- Clay "Crystal" moment
- Pillows or other basis for weaving
- Safety pins
- Sharp scissors
The stages of weaving a simple bracelet:
- Thread the thread in the ring of the castle, which must first be fixed to the pad with a pin. Make a simple knot as shown in the picture. The left thread should be the main, and the right working. Weave another 7-8 knots gradually alternating threads. The right should be working, and the left main.
- Now add another 1 thread, secure it with a knot "lock". Then you need to make fixing 2 threads slightly wider and for this you have to make 2 more loops on both sides. Tighten the loops and tightly pull the knot to the top of the product.
- Insert 3 working thread and secure it in the same way as 2, but the knots should be made on the right side.
- When all the threads are added and fixed, begin the weaving of the bracelet itself. 3 thread will now be the main and will be located on top of 2 others.
- On 3 threads, make a rep knot, it should be tight and fit adjacent knots.
- Weave to the right and make another 1 rep node. And then change the main thread and braid left.
- Also make a rep node. 3 in the account on the left thread thread into the bead.
- Now the main thread will be 2 on the right, fold it down and tie a tight knot on it to hold the bead.
- The main thread is the 2nd one on the left, fold it downwards and tie 2 knots on it, they will complete the diamond on which the bead is located.
- The main thread is the 1 right one. Thread it into the bead and make 2 knots diagonally.
- The main one is the last one on the left; do everything here as in the previous paragraph.
- Rhombic with a bead close the knot diagonally on 2 threads, which is in the middle.
- The thread, which is the 2nd on the right, becomes the working thread for the rep knot.
- At this stage you should have a series of identical nodes, it will be directed to the right.
- The main thread up to this point you had to go diagonally, now send it vertically downwards.
- Tie up the knot knot, do not pull the work thread too much.
- Re-position the main thread diagonally, you should have an eyelet made of thread.
- On the left, do the same as in the previous paragraph.
- Weave a diamond with a bead in 1 row.
- On the threads of work that are on the edges, string on 1 bead and make 2 rows of a diamond.
- Next, you will need to make about 20 diamonds in the same way. Adjust the length yourself, you may need to weave less or more than 20 lozenges.
- When you wove a bracelet of the desired length, you need to finish the work beautifully. Cut the 2 extreme threads on the right and left, leave about 2 cm of free threads each.
- The second part of the fastener - fasten the ring to any of the threads that are in the center. Thread the thread into the buckle ring and make a knot.
- The knot is made of 2 strands, which is centered. Then the threads are cut the same way as the side.
- Hide the cut edges on the back of the bracelet with glue.
See also:Macrame flowerpots do-it-yourself
With the help of weaving macrame, you can create many beautiful and unique things. The technique is quite simple, and you quickly get it to master. To get started, learn how to make basic patterns that are listed in the diagrams. They will help you improve your skills in the future.