Levka, or as it is also called, mattiola is a decorative annual or perennial garden plant whose flowers fill the air with its delicate aroma. It is used for decoration of gardens, for the decoration of balconies, as well as for making bouquets. Its fragrant flowers are collected in racemes of different shapes and colors. Levka can be easily grown from seed at home.
Gray levkov: growing features
Breeders of the world bred about 600 varieties of mattiola gray. Depending on the form of inflorescences, varieties of levkoev are divided into 8 groups. Seeds of the gray-haired levoka can be sown in spring (at the end of April - beginning of May) directly into open ground. Then the plant must be thinned, maintaining the desired distance between shoots. To lengthen the flowering period is recommended to grow seedlings. From sowing to the beginning of flowering, depending on the variety, it takes about 70 - 100 days.
Land in the area where levkoy is planned to be grown is prepared from autumn. Compost or humus (7 kg per 1 sq. M), a small amount of neutral floral substrate and liquid complex fertilizer (not more than 3 tbsp. Per 1 sq. M.) Are introduced into it. m). Land for seedlings is also recommended to cook in the autumn.
Mattiol gray can be sown at home in bowls in the second half of March - early April. As for the substrate for sowing seeds, take garden loamy soil and sand without adding peat and compost. When sowing levkoy, soil is recommended to moisten. For the prevention of diseases a few days before sowing the seeds, it is desirable to pour a solution of potassium permanganate or Fitosporin.
Sowing seeds mattiola gray is carried out so that the seedlings are not shaded each other. Sown seeds of levkoy are sprinkled with a thin layer of a mixture of soil and dry clean river sand (2: 1), slightly compacting the surface. Crops of plants usually do not water. Better close the container with them with plastic wrap and put in a bright and warm place. As a rule, seed germination occurs quickly, in just a few days.
The first watering of seedlings produced 4 to 5 days after germination. They love the fresh air, so do not forget to air them. To prevent the sprouts from stretching, keep the bowls with the crops of the gray-haired bay in a cool and very bright place.
Approximately 2 weeks after the mattiola seeds are planted, conduct picks in individual pots with drainage holes. It is recommended to add a hydrogel to the substrate, which will help the seedlings to develop a good root system and protect them from possible negative factors after disembarking to a permanent place.
When 2 - 4 leaves appear, they are thinned to a distance of 5 cm, then - depending on the variety. Plants planted directly in the ground will not bloom until the end of August.
Rooted plants before transplanting in open ground is recommended to gradually harden on the loggia (balcony). If necessary, water Mattiola saplings very carefully, avoiding drying out and waterlogging of the soil.
How to grow the left of the seed?
- Planting hardened seedlings produced in May in the evening or on an overcast day. Levka cannot be planted in a place where other cruciferous plants were previously grown, otherwise the flower may become infected with a keel. If fading plants are found that have ugly roots with hard growths, they should be burned, and the soil treated with a solution against fungal infection.
- Levka grows well and blooms in a sunny place on fertile soil with good humidity. It is undesirable to pour and overdry the soil. After each watering or rain, loosen the ground around the flowers.
- Plant care is a regular watering in the absence of rain, weeding weeding, loosening after precipitation and watering, pest control and feeding.
- In hot weather, grubs are often attacked by the cruciferous flea, which gnaws the leaves. To protect the plant from fleas, you can use the ash of the leaves, as well as dusting the soil between the plants.
- It is impossible to apply organic fertilizers to the soil in the year of planting mattiola and to mulch the plants. It is better to feed it with mineral means, and during the flowering period - with fertilizers with phosphorus and potassium. For growing mattiols choose sunny and calm places. The plant is suitable for any soil, but it is better to use loamy.
Growing and caring for grudge is fairly simple. The most important thing is to adhere to the optimum temperature regime, ensure regular watering and make additional feeding. Flowers of the left side look great in flowerbeds at the dacha plots, of which you can make beautiful bouquets. Blossoming flowers will delight you with its beauty and fragrance for a month.