It is considered normal when, after a walk or a long sleep, a small accumulation of liquid - tears - is observed in a cat in the corner of the eye. Focus on this is not necessary. It is much more important to be able to distinguish ordinary tearing from when the kitten's eyes fester and take appropriate measures in time.
We find out the reason
Transparent discharge from the eyes can be observed in a completely healthy animal, for example, after a long sleep or a walk in the fresh air. Sometimes a bloody or grayish liquid is a particular breed of kitten. Such tearing does not cause any inconvenience, and the cat feels quite normal, especially not to worry too much about the owner himself. It will be enough to regularly carry out hygiene procedures: wipe your eyelids with a cotton swab and wash your eyes with a special lotion.
But frequent and abundant discharge - the first alarm bell. This means that the cat has some health problems, such as an allergic reaction, an infection or another disease. It is possible to determine more precisely why the kittens' eyes fester, according to the nature, color and consistency of the discharge, for example:
- Yellow or green thick discharge from the cat's eyes results from the active spread of the infection. Often, its pathogens are various bacteria, viruses and fungi that have penetrated the mucous membrane through the wound.
- Abundant gray, reddish or watery discharge is a sign of allergy to tree bark, household chemicals, pollen or dust.
The main causes of the spread of infection are often mechanical injuries:
- corneal injury as a result of improper hygiene procedures;
- dust or small pebbles on the mucous membrane of the eye.
In addition, the playful disposition of cats often leads to the fact that when they meet with their fellows, they gladly enter into a fight. The result of such games is open wounds and small scratches, into which bacteria enter and cause conjunctivitis.
If the eyes of a newborn kitten fester with all the appropriate vaccinations, it is worth checking the animal for worms. In order to avoid reproduction of parasites, it is important to carry out deworming with special solutions and tablets in time.
How to treat sore eyes?
What if the kitten's eyes fester? Of course, in the current situation it would be quite logical to turn to a veterinarian. But unfortunately, not always the circumstances allow time to go to the hospital. In this case, you can try to get rid of conjunctivitis with home remedies.
First of all, it will be necessary to do the washing of the eyes with antibacterial solutions, for example:
- decoction of black tea, pharmacy chamomile or sage;
- a teaspoon of boric acid, diluted in half a glass of boiled water;
- pinkish potassium permanganate solution;
- 0.02% furatsilina.
Eyes are washed with a cotton pad with movements from their outer corner to the inside. In addition, it is necessary to bury special drops in the kitten’s eyes up to 5 times a day. In the veterinary pharmacy, you can buy "Albucidum", "Iris", "Neoconjunctivitis" or chloramphenicol-based antibiotics.
The procedure is carried out in this way:
- The animal is laid on its side and hold the head with one hand.
- Carefully open one eyelid and pour 2-3 drops of the solution into the eye socket.
- Release the skin and allow the cat to blink a bit so that the drug is distributed over the eye in a natural way.
- Then soak the remnants of the substance from the wool with a damp cloth or a clean cotton ball and repeat all the steps for the second eye.
40 minutes after the instillation of the medicine in the eyes you need to put tetracycline ointment. But know that this antibiotic can be used only in the morning and in the evening - you do not need to be zealous.
In order to make all manipulations as painless as possible, use the following tips:
- Lay the cat on its side so that its head is looking up.
- Squeeze out a small amount of ointment from the tube right on the inside of the eyelid.
- Cover your eye and gently massage the skin of the animal with fingertips to smoothly distribute the medicine.
Treatment with tetracycline ointment is carried out for at least 10 days, while it is important not to skip the procedure. But remember: if the inflammatory process did not decline after a week, it is better to contact a veterinary clinic as soon as possible.
Prevention is better than cure
Of course, than to cure, it is much easier to eliminate all possible factors, due to the fault of which the cat's eyes fester. In addition, the prevention rules are quite simple:
- It is necessary to strictly adhere to the schedule of vaccination of kittens and adult cats.
- In order to prevent infectious infections, it is advisable to regularly wipe the eyes of your pet with a cotton swab dipped in warm water, hydrogen peroxide or chamomile broth.
- After each walk in the fresh air, regularly inspect the eyes of a small kitten, and when a heavy tearing appears, wipe the eyelids with a furatsilin solution.
- Do not allow the hair or small cilia to grow into the kitten's upper eyelid, and if necessary regularly cut out dangerous areas.
- Strictly prohibit a pet to comb his eyes with paws or about interior and furniture.
“We are responsible for those who have been tamed” - this is a popular expression from the story about the little prince should be a guide for everyone with a purring kitten living in the house.