Once very fashionable plants - ferns - now continue to be found among fans of the green garden, and in government offices and offices. Ferns - very spectacular plant, reaching large sizes. Many species of ferns are extremely undemanding to the conditions of detention.
Appearance of indoor fern
It is difficult to talk about the appearance of the fern, there are a large number of species that are very diverse in appearance. However, the common structure between them is the structure of the leaf. The leaves of the fern are attached to the shoot or rhizome with the help of a scape. The sheet itself has a strong cut and is called wow.
Indoor ferns can be in the form of a tree or shrub.
Types of indoor fern
The number of species in ferns is amazing. In their natural habitat, there are more than 2 thousand species. Of course, not all of them are suitable for growing indoors. There are species that can be grown in greenhouses, but at home they will die.
Consider the types of ferns most often found in flower shops.
- Nephrolepis - one of the most popular indoor ferns. It is easy to grow and is recommended for beginners. It has long hanging leaves from 35 to 65 cm long. There are many varieties of this type of fern: with wavy leaves, twisted edges of leaves, with three times and four leaves with divided leaves, with double, three times and four leaves, large and medium forms, and .d
- Maidenhair - difficult to grow species, more recommended for greenhouses or terrariums. They are demanding of high humidity, heat and dim lighting. At home you can try to grow Adiantum Ruddy. It has woven leaflets on a medium sized hanging vayyah. Very beautiful shape Adiantum gentle. There are other varieties of this species. Useful tips on growing this variety of indoor fern can be found in the article How to care for adiantum.
- Cirtrium - view, noteworthy, because it carries drafts and dry air. It can be advised to those who have little time to care for ferns. Cytromium crescent on the flies, it has dark green shiny oval-shaped leaves with a serrate edge.
- Multiple row - typical fern. The most common species of this species is Tsushima polyoriard. It does not even reach 30 cm in height. It is recommended for cultivation, because it carries dry air. The remaining varieties of multi-row are grown mainly in greenhouses.
- Pteris - view suitable for growing. Pterisa has beautiful leaves of various shapes and sizes, depending on the variety. Pteris Cretan occurs in different varieties, differing in leaf color (variegated or solid) and the degree of waviness. Pteris xiphoid has a darker color of feathers. Pteris trembling has strongly dissected leaves, reaching a meter in length. Most pteris are recommended for indoor cultivation.
- Platicerium (flat) - very bizarre look, at first glance only vaguely resembling a fern. The leaves are large and showy, divided into lobes that look like horns. Hence the type and got the name flat roads. For cultivation in room conditions, two types are recommended: platicerium large and salutropic platicerium. The first is more common, the second is slightly larger.
- Didimohlena - view not for beginners. Even experienced gardeners do not always have the right to take care of didimohlennoy. After all, it requires high humidity. However, it has two advantages: it tolerates the shadow well and can be grown on its own from an argument. The leaves of this species are shiny leathery brownish-green.
- Davallia - attractive hairy rhizomes visible on the surface. This species in the common people is called "hare's foot". For cultivation at home two types are recommended: Davallia canarian and Davallia fijian.
- Blehnum - crown of thin leaves Wai reaches a range of up to 1 m. In room conditions they grow Blechnum humpback.
- Kostenets (asplenium) - has two dissimilar species, Stone nesting and Kosovots lukovitsenosny. The latter is more common and more like a fern. The first species has wide xiphoid leaves, which together with a developed rhizome form a “nest”. The young leaves of the aslenium nesting do not tolerate contact. Read more about caring for this species of fern in the article Fern Asplenium.
- Pelley - likes dry air. Round pellets hardly reminds us of a fern. She is unpretentious in the care.
Experienced growers are taken to grow difficult types of ferns and some of them succeed. Beginners better start with nephrolepis and pteris.
Location in the house of a room fern
- With rare exceptions, ferns do not tolerate dry air, so keep them away from batteries in winter. In the summer you can not put them under the rays of the scorching sun.
- The peculiarity of ferns lies in their large size and overhanging leaves. Therefore, many people prefer to place ferns on the floor or on the shelves (if dimensions allow). A very good find for fern will be flower pots, or hanging baskets.
- From the rooms of the house fern fit living room, bedroom, children, kitchen. Very good the plant will feel in the bathroom, where always high humidity. However, there may not be enough fern sunlight, and in fact need at least penumbra.
- Place small copies on the windowsills of the eastern and northern windows of the house.
- It is worth noting that there are types of ferns that are best grown in a terrarium (for example, maidenhair). There are species that interfere with close living with other plants, they can damage the delicate leaves of wai. All this must be considered when placing ferns in the house.
Care behind the room fern
Most species of ferns are quite undemanding in the care, they are not difficult to keep at home. But like any other plant, ferns need at least minimal care. It includes maintaining high humidity and proper irrigation.
- Lighting-bright diffused sunlight or partial shade. Well tolerate the shadow. However, in the shade the fern leaves are darker and the development of the plant is hampered.
- Temperature moderate. Coolness is desirable at night, but avoid low temperatures. The optimum temperature for ferns varies from 10 ° C to 22 ° C. Outside of this optimum, the fern suffers.
- Air humidityrequired high. It is necessary to spray leaves regularly.
- Watering moderately abundant. Do not allow the soil to dry out or overabundance of moisture. In winter, watering is reduced.
- Breedsvegetative way. Some species of fern due to the formation of new plants at the ends of land rooting shoots - stolons (nephrolepis), others - due to the formation of new plants at the ends of leaves. There is a method of propagation by dividing a plant if the fern forms spikes. Then, when transplanting, the plant is not divided into several parts (by the number of shoots).
- Transplantedyoung ferns every spring, more adult plants - of necessity, when the roots already start not to intervene in the pot.
A variety of ferns allows you to choose the most attractive view for each of us. Ferns will bring a piece of exotic to your home.