Hydrangea paniculata - a plant resistant to cold, planting and caring for which do not require much effort. It is formed as a shrub or small tree up to 2 meters high and up to 3 meters wide. Such a hydrangea has curved creamy inflorescences and oblong leaves up to 12 cm. How to properly care for this winter beauty so that it preserves the splendor of inflorescences and lush foliage?
Hydrangea in horticulture and landscape design
In decorative gardening, hydrangea goes well with:
It grows well in lawn areas, so it is suitable for landscaping house territories, private gardens, serves as a green hedge. In dry form, the hydrangea looks good in Ekibane. To do this, fresh flowers are hung down inflorescence, after removing the leaves, and dried.
Planting and reproduction
As the location of this plant is better to choose a sunny or slightly shaded area, protected from the winds. Hydrangea is well established in clay, acidic and moist soils. Since the root system is located closer to the surface, mulch is needed to prevent the culture from drying out and freezing.
For planting the pit is prepared in advance, pouring peat into it, humus or compost. If the soil is too clayy, you can add some sand. For oxidation, you can make peat, pine needles or sawdust.
The best period for rooting is spring. If hydrangea paniculata grows in Siberia, planting and care may begin in May. Sapling roots before the procedure for 12 hours should be soaked in the root stimulator. Then they are pruned, leaving 30 cm. With a weak root system, the ground part is trimmed so that it looks proportionally underground in size.
Then a small mound is made in the fossa and the roots are placed on it so that they hang down freely. The root collar is not buried, and the seedling is installed taking into account that the soil will settle by 5 cm.
If the plant is bought in a pot, a lump with the ground and roots is placed in a bowl with water, where growth stimulator is pre-applied. When the soil is well soaked, hydrangea planted in the prepared hole and mulch with peat.
Culture can be propagated by cuttings or layering. As the cuttings used shoots remaining after pruning in the spring or prepared in July. The bottom cut is made oblique, and the top - smooth. Up to 3 internodes should remain on the handle.
A couple of days before planting, the harvested material is kept in a growth stimulator solution, then planted at an angle in a shady place. After that, the cuttings need to be watered and covered with half a plastic bottle.
When the first leaves appear, the plant should continue to be watered, and for the winter to cover with fallen leaves.
After planting, care for hydrangea paniculata will be in compliance with the following rules.
- Crop. It is produced in spring, when the branches that are frozen and grow inside the bush are removed. Pruning is done to the first well-developed kidney. If the bush needs to be rejuvenated, then all branches are removed. Ensure that hydrangea is completely healthy.
- Watering should be abundant, otherwise the plant will quickly wither.
- Top dressing. There are special fertilizers for this crop. You can use "Fertika", azofoskoy, nitrophoska, etc. The hydrangea responds well to a mixture in equal parts of superphosphate, potassium and urea. Acidification of the soil can be citric acid or potassium permanganate. An excellent dressing will be an infusion of weed or divorced 1:10 cow manure. You can use iron sulphate (1 tsp. For 7 liters of water). In no case should ash be consumed, since it neutralizes acidity.
- Preparing for the winter. Before the onset of frost, branches of the bush are attached.
- Pest and disease control. In the presence of spider mites and aphids, use biologically active agents, for example, "Phyto farm". For powdery mildew, treat with a half-percent solution of copper oxychloride. To combat chlorosis enough to acidify the soil a little.
Hortensia paniculata vanilla Fraze: planting and care
Plants of this species grow to a height of 1.5 m and have a crown up to 2 meters wide. Shoots are red, oval-shaped leaves. The culture is frost-resistant and can withstand temperatures up to -29 degrees without cover. The inflorescences are extremely beautiful, strawberry-vanilla color, and only the tip is white.
Planting and caring for Vanilla Frazie is not much different from general recommendations. To do this, it is also necessary to oxidize the soil, fertilize it, as indicated above, and water it abundantly.
Trimming is done in spring. Leave about 10 shoots, each of which - up to 5 buds. To the plant successfully survived the winter, its spud peat to a height of 30 cm, cover with fallen leaves or needles.
We grow hydrangea paniculata limelight
Hortensia Limelight differs in large inflorescences that do not need props, because the shoots of this plant are very strong. The height and width of the culture is 2 m.
The color is rather unusual and changes in the process of flowering from light green to white, by the autumn a pinkish tint appears. The leaves are dark green, with the onset of cold weather become light purple. During the flowering period, dry inflorescences must be constantly cleaned.
Planting and care are not very different from the traditional. As a feed you can use fertilizers for azaleas, heather plants, rhododendrons. Hydrangea Limelight reproduces in the same way as other varieties of this plant.
Hydrangea paniculata is a wonderful decoration of your garden plot, summer house, territory for public rest. It seems to be designed to show off on lawns or front gardens. Inflorescences, constantly changing their shade, will delight anyone and will forever conquer amateur gardeners.