Minions are funny characters in the Despicable Me cartoon that have gained great popularity among young people. Therefore, there is nothing surprising in the fact that they became a reason for inspiration in creativity: for example, in weaving products from gum, called lumigurumi.
The main technologies here are working with a slingshot and a machine tool, and we offer you the most convenient ways in this article.
Express method of weaving on a slingshot
Products obtained using this technology do not differ in large sizes, so they are usually created as a small accessory: for example, a key fob, but they do not take much time and can be performed even by children. How to weave a minion on a slingshot?
- Twist the black gum so that it turns into 4 loops, and put it on the right slingshot tooth. Next, connect both teeth with a pair of black rubber bands and with a hook pull the lowest one, twisted at 4, upwards, throwing it into the center. It should make a strong knot.
- Add blue elastic bands (also a pair), hook black hooks from the bottom, transfer them to the top and to the center. Remember to move the canvas so that the tips of the teeth remain free for a new step.
- Make another 4 blue rows, then transfer the lower not to the center, but to the left tooth. In the same way, start to lay the black and 2 times yellow elastic bands, at the moment of adding the 2nd yellow row removing not only the previous yellow up and to the center, but the links from the left slider of the slingshot (1st leg).
- Now add a pair of blue rubber bands, then yellow (4 times), then remove the yellow links on the right tooth of the slingshot. Then on the left winding blue single gum (turning into 4 links), put on a blue pair (5 times), yellow (5 times) and remove on the right tooth.
- Wrap the left black single 4-link back again and repeat the steps of the 1st step, followed by a pair of black rubber bands, then 5 blue rows, and remove them to the right. Wrap the black one again, add a row of paired blacks, 2 rows of paired yellows, remove the previous blue ones and slip them over the center. Make a new blue row, 4 yellow.
- Put on both teeth at once a single black gum, pull the yellow ones on the center, and also all from the right tooth.
Now it’s time to connect the parts of the minion and complete the product. Remove the black from the teeth on the hook, make a loop, below the place of "appearance" of the hand, enter a new blue gum, tie it with a loop, add the same one to it, and with its help align the parts exactly.
How to weave a minion of gum on the machine?
The simplest and versatile method available even to those who are trying to work with a machine and small silicone rubber bands for the first time is weaving frescoes. They are a flat product that can be used as a stand or bookmark, or even put on a magnet and placed on a refrigerator. The fresco usually has a rectangular or square look, although it may be figured, it is performed fairly quickly, and if you master the technology of attaching rubber bands and their alternation, you can make not only a minion, but absolutely any image.
- This fresco took 140 yellow rubber bands, 112 blue, 60 black, 24 gray, 16 white. And also 53 connecting links of different shades, guided by the scheme.
- Design the machine so that its attachments are located only at the outer ends (the middle is empty), and it itself was a 2 horizontal long rows. The open parts of each column should look to the right. To weave a minion you need only 10 columns, and its height will be 19 rows. Where to move the active columns - does not matter.
- According to the scheme, we do not affect 1 column, but throw black gum over 2 and 3, connecting them together. Please note that the gum come from a pair. You need to connect 3 and 4 columns with the same black pair, and then repeat this move for 7 and 8, as well as 8 and 9 columns.
- The next step is to add a fixing link: for this purpose, a black gum (1 pc.) Is thrown onto the last (9) column and wound twice. The same should be done for 4 columns. Then, using the hook, pick up this triple link from the open side and stretch the lower pair of elastic bands through it, swinging it onto the adjacent left (3) post. On the same principle, pick up a pair of gum from this column, pull and transfer to the adjacent left (2). Repeat these steps with 9-8-7 bars.
- With your fingers, lower the completed black row, connect the same columns in pairs with twin blue rubber bands, but vertically. After that, remove the black gum to the top, leaving them "lying" on the stretched blue center.
- Now came the turn of the 3rd row, where 1 and 10 cells appear, made in black. First, stretch the blue single gum 1-4 and 7-10 columns, otherwise the addition will not work. Then, as before, pair vertically in pairs with double rubber bands: first with black (extreme outer) and then blue (all others). Pull the horizontal gum, as previously black, on the center of the vertical. After that, remove and hook the entire bottom layer (2-4 and 7-9 columns) along the top and bottom row.
- Do not forget to drop the resulting piece after each such reset; as it works, it will increase. Go to the 4th row and add new links according to the technology already described: now there are no missing columns, therefore 3 single blue elastic bands should be laid horizontally in 1-4, 4-7, 7-10 columns.
In essence, this whole technique is an alternation of horizontal connecting links, vertical cells with color according to the scheme, and lower-layer transfers above the upper to the center between the posts to lower it and give way to the new. There is no need to describe the steps for all 19 rows, since up to 17 inclusive they are a solid canvas. Pay attention to the places of cell removal, as well as the subsequent completion of the work.
- On the 18th row, 1 by the last cell disappears to round the head of the minion. To do this, pick up from 1 column of the lower row of the rubber band with a hook and move it to the next right. Pull off the lower pair from this post and drop it to the center of the weave. Repeat the steps for the top row as well as for the 10th columns. Then perform the series in the same way as before: connect horizontally 2-6 and 6-9 rows, add vertical joints, draw and drop the lower rows of elastic bands.
- In the last row, the horizontal connection is made only with the 1st rubber band, the vertical ones are laid as usual. After removing the bottom rows, you must close the work. To do this, crochet the links from the row closest to you to the far one; now, on the released line, connect 3-4, 4-5, 5-6, 6-7, 7-8 pairs of columns, putting on 1 elastic band twisted in half on them. Now the shots taken to the far row need to be transferred back, but with them also those that were originally there go. Thus, the far row is released.
- Having hooked through the open part of the most extreme column, remove the lower gum (the one that lay horizontally) and throw it on the adjacent left. Repeat the action to the very end of the row. Pass the hook into the center of the leftmost column, stretch a new elastic band with it, make a loop from it, put it on your finger, and then remove all other elastic bands from the columns with a hook.
Stretch the finished product with your hands to distribute all the links as evenly as possible, and stretch the loop with a hook through it, thereby masking it. The fresco "minion" is ready!
These are far from the only ways of weaving minions from gum - open sources offer a large number of training videos, where with the same technology completely different figures are obtained. If you have mastered the ones discussed above, do not stop there, try something new.