Often owners of dogs are faced with a situation where their pet begins to bite. This feature manifests itself often at a young age, so it is necessary to wean the dog from the bad habit when it is still a puppy.
What if the puppy bites?
At a time when the puppy is still next to his mother and brothers and sisters, it is they who clearly demonstrate to him that biting is very painful. Often biting puppies are left alone, because because of this, the tribesmen do not want to play with him and he has nothing left to do but to learn to behave differently. If a person takes a puppy too young, or if he was the only one in the litter, then the baby may bite painfully. This is due to habit, because he has not yet been able to adjust the strength of the bite.
The reason for this behavior can serve as the time of the change of teeth, during this period the animal is not able to fully control themselves. He wants to chew everything that catches his eye. But from an early age, the baby should be weaned from playing with clothes, hands or fingers. If the puppy himself does not understand, then he should finish the game and go to another room, he must understand that it is impossible to behave this way. And if an animal is shown that any game ends after it starts to bite, then over time it will get rid of this habit. By the way, many dog breeders managed to wean their pets in this way.
In addition, in the house where the dog lives, it must have a special place where it will be during the absence of the owner. For this fit fence or aviaries. It is good to place his toys and bedding there. If the baby does not want to part with this bad habit, then he should be sent after his bites in his place, as a small punishment.
If the dog began to get involved in grabbing clothes, then during this process it is best for the person to “freeze”. The fact of the matter is that for puppies, the movement from the human side looks like a game and it inspires them to new “feats”. But if someone becomes immobile, then this game becomes not interesting for the animal.
It also happens that the puppy starts to grab the owner by the sleeves or the edge of the clothes, in this case you should not scold the baby, you should just carefully detach him from yourself and offer him some kind of toy to play. By the way, such toys should be in every room where the puppy has access. It will be useful to give the animal to chew on unnecessary items. This will teach the child that there are things that are not only convenient to nibble, but also allowed. By the way, any correct action of the animal is best encouraged by stroking or scratching.
Tips from experienced breeders
- In order to wean the puppy to bite, you can play with him in special games. For example, show him that teeth should be used carefully. And everything is very simple: you only need to encourage the puppy in those moments when he does not bite. When the baby does the right thing, the owner will need to snap his fingers and encourage him. So the puppy will learn the rules of correct behavior. But, nevertheless, playing, it is necessary to observe measures of caution.
- First you have to make a fist and show her puppy. It is necessary to click and feed the baby at a time when he does not bite. After repeat this procedure. If the puppy at the same time tries to bury its owner’s fist with its nose, this means that it obeys it, it’s better to squeeze the fist in front of the animal. But if the puppy does not show interest in the host’s fist, this means that he is not interested, in this case the owner should click again and give the pet a treat.
- After this, the task must be complicated by increasing the period of time during which the animal ignores the fist, as well as to increase the distance and speed of hand movement. In this exercise, you can use a special bone or a toy instead of a hand. In this case, you should continue to click your fingers and encourage your pet for good behavior. And if the puppy grabs a hand and does not want to wait, then the fist should be removed and then continue to exercise, while increasing the distance of the hand. It is recommended to repeat these manipulations 5-10 times at a different distance from the pet's nose. To conduct such training is better 3-4 times a day.
- The next game is to store delicacies. Features of this scheme are the same as the previous one. While clicking fingers, you should give the pet a treat several times for simply showing a desire to come up. He should know that he has a chance to get a gift. Now the puppy can nibble what he really likes. You can still wave in front of him with a rag or toy. And every time the puppy will grab this object, you must click your fingers. Then you need to get a treat and if the pet wants to eat it, he will have to let go of the item. To consolidate the result, the exercise must be repeated 2-3 times.
- Thus, the puppy should learn that he should spit out the object at the sound of a click. Then this command can be spoken out loud, that is, say "Spit up" before clicking and repeat it. Repeat classes should be several times to consolidate the team. The puppy must learn to spit out the object after the command has sounded. And do not forget to promote the pet.
How to wean a puppy to bite hands and feet?
A puppy may not bite the owner by the arms and legs on purpose, during the game, but may also do it intentionally. What to do in this situation? First of all, do not panic. All puppies love to bite, and the owner can independently solve this problem. The main thing is to do it right. If the pet has bitten the owner specifically, for example, if he approached his bowl or tried to stroke him, in this case, the command "Fu" should be given.
If the dog did not bite on purpose, when it wanted to involve the owner in the game or in its process, then you should not punish it. It is better to stop the game for a while and wait until the animal calms down. And if the owner wants to continue, then you need to pronounce the word "You can not", but without the use of physical punishment. If the pet played out too quickly, then you just need to put it and hold it in this position for about 10 seconds.
You also need to engage in the education and training of the dog, because if this does not happen - then the bad behavior of the animal is a consequence of the inaction of the owner. It is necessary to practice with the pet to raise the animal for themselves. But it should be remembered that before the onset of 3 months of age, physical measures of exposure should not be applied to the puppy. It is better to distract him with a game, giving him a soft toy.
But if the game does not help the puppy to calm down, then you can apply to him the vocal punishment: "Fu" or "You can not." After this, the puppy should be left alone for some time to calm it down. Over time, he himself will understand that you can not bite the owner of the legs and arms.
If a dog cannot unlearn a bite of the owner for the legs and arms, then he is often to blame for this. There are several reasons why this happens:
Too small age. Absolutely all the puppies try on the teeth, hands, clothes of the owners and everything that gets in their eyes. But to allow it to do or not - this is only the will of the owner;
Lack of proper education. If the dog shows aggression, then either it tries to reveal its position in the pack in this way, or it has already done so and is now trying to command its owner as a leader.
Weaning a puppy to bite is not so difficult, the main thing is to do it right. Particular attention should be paid to the owner of education and prohibiting voice commands. It is necessary to remember that it is impossible to train a puppy up to 1.5 months of age. It is better to try to divert him to an interesting game. But if a dog of more adult age still bites, it means that you incorrectly explained to him the rules of behavior. Begin more serious and regular training with your pet.