The love of a pet, a cat or a Madagascar cockroach, is always accompanied by feelings about his health and well-being. Often, many are worried when they notice that the cat has a watery eye, and they begin to assume the worst - conjunctivitis or a rare feline brain disease. What to do if a fluffy friend has a wet spot?
We keep calm! The situation when a cat's watery eye is widespread and - good news - in most cases is not associated with serious pathologies. Therefore, you should not run after your pet to consider the presence of tears. Danger exists only if such a condition has become chronic and / or is accompanied by other alarming symptoms.
Why do our younger brothers cry?
The reasons for which the animal's watery eyes can be divided into two groups - safe (no diseases) and pathological. The peculiarity of the latter is the presence of additional alarming symptoms.
When you do not need to worry
- If the cat has a watery eye for the first time and not too much. Most likely, there got dust, dirt, villus. With the lifestyle of these animals this happens often. For example, the cat itself may accidentally get on the mucous membrane.
- If we are talking about a little kitten (up to 4 weeks of age). In children, eyes watery often. This is due to the fact that the animal still can not independently monitor its hygiene, as well as the reaction to lighting (think of infants - they also have this problem).
- In some breeds (for example, in sphinxes and Persian cats), the anatomical features of the eyes (their large size, wide protrusion) contribute to the active work of the lacrimal glands. With this, nothing can be done; one can only pay attention to the additional hygiene of the animal — to ensure the removal of copious secretions in order to avoid accumulation. By the way, there are special wet wipes for sale to care for the eyes of pets of these breeds.
- If a cat has a puffy eye and has been watering for several days, the cause may be associated with conjunctivitis, a disease caused by irritation of the organ of vision with dust, household chemicals, makeup hit (eau de toilette, deodorant). The acute form of conjunctivitis is accompanied by weakness of the animal, redness of the eyeball.
- When to sterilize a cat?
- Cat walks: how to calm the animal and what to do
More serious problems
- If a cat has snot and watery eyes, it can be a manifestation of the common cold. If the pet also sneezes, suffers from apathy, then, most likely, the reason lies in it.
- The organ of vision may water down as a result of mechanical shocks. If the pet has recently fought with his friends or fell unsuccessfully, you should examine the head of the animal. If there is damage to the back of the head, jaw or ears, the production of tears can be an additional manifestation of injury.
- The presence of fleas and worms. Not tested for a long time? Urgently to the vet! Especially if tearing is accompanied by scratching the animal, excessively active rubbing against the furniture or the hostess.
- Infectious diseases. If the cat is often in contact with other brothers, occasionally outside, then an infection, fungus or dysbiosis can not be ruled out. "Crying" can be one of the symptoms. If a cat has watery eyes, the discharge of brown color from them in 90% of cases indicates an infection (most likely, they have purulent composition).
- Microtrauma on the surface of the organ of vision. When they are present, the eye will be very watery (usually one). If after a couple of days this problem has not disappeared, you need to consult a doctor for an examination: it is impossible to examine the damage yourself.
- Allergy. Sensitizing substances for animals can be food, hostess cosmetics, household chemicals, flower pollen - in general, everything is just like that of people. Only a veterinarian can identify the allergen. Therefore, if a cat sneezes and tears eyes, than to treat this condition - can be understood only after an analysis of allergic reactions.
- Often accompanied by excessive tearfulness closure of the tear ducts. This can be a congenital pathology or acquired - due to mechanical damage or poor hygiene, colds or infections. Correct obstruction is possible only with the help of an operation.
- The particular shape of the eyelids may be the reason for their wrapping. This is accompanied by irritation of the surface of the eyeball with cilia. Without an operation in this case, too, can not do.
If your pet has tears, do not panic. Instructions for solving the problem:
- Observation We estimate the frequency of symptoms. If the animal feels fine, you can wait a day.
- If after 24 hours the problem is not solved, we examine the cat's head for the presence of abrasions, bruises. If they are absent, we look at the nature of the discharge (if there is pus), check if the eyes are swollen, if there are any additional symptoms described above.
- If the tears do not disappear, and especially - if the unimportant state of a furry friend is aggravated, a visit to the vet is necessary.
It is impossible to prevent this problem 100%, since its cause may be related to circumstances beyond our control. In order to try to minimize its risk, you must:
- monitor the hygiene of the animal. It is important to remove the discharge from the eyes, to prevent their accumulation (this can provoke inflammation and infection) by treating it with a special liquid. You can learn about it from the seller of the pet store;
- prevent overcooling, do not release the animal on a cold balcony or in wet and frosty weather outside;
- periodically visit the vet (prevention does not hurt anyone);
- if the cat has long hair, you need to trim it a little: hard hair can get into the eye and damage its shell.
Feeling for your younger friend is the right feeling, but you don't have to worry about it in vain. And it is not at all worth the panic if the cat has a watery eye. What to do in this case? Observe, ensure hygiene and, if necessary, take the animal to a doctor. With nothing serious, most likely, such a symptom is not associated.