In the care of pets, the most difficult is the education and adjustment of their habits. No matter how intelligent the animal, there are things that need to be laid in his behavior, especially if the pet lives in the apartment, and not left to himself in a country house. The most common question is how to accustom the dog to the toilet on the street, so that you do not have to constantly do the cleaning of the room and poke your pet in a puddle.
How to raise a little puppy?
The most difficult thing is the training of the baby, and not because he learns information worse than an adult individual. A puppy may feel the urge to defecate after each feeding, and given that it occurs up to 5-6 times a day, you have to take him for a walk as many times. Some owners prefer at such a young age to send a pet to the newspapers. This is certainly easier, but it does not solve the problem - afterwards you will still have to retrain the dog, otherwise it will always go to the toilet at home. However, there should also be a plot in the apartment where a puppy will be able to defecate in the event of force majeure.
- The key to training is the stability of walks. This is also true for an adult pet, but is especially important for a puppy younger than 3 months, since this period is essential for the formation of habits.
Remove the animal for a walk after each feeding, as well as at the moments when it begins to look for a place to defecate. If it so happened that you did not have time on time, and the puppy still went to the toilet in the apartment, it must be scolded, but this should not be corporal punishment: it is enough to express disapproval with voice and gaze. On the street, after the committed action, on the contrary, it is necessary to praise and encourage the pet with something.
- What to do if during the walk the puppy does not feel the urge to defecate? Experts advise to organize active games, which increases emotionality, and extend the time spent in the fresh air. If 2.5-3 hours have passed since the last trip to the toilet, this will be enough to stimulate a new one. A puppy up to a year usually relieves every 3-4 hours.
- Some dog experts recommend during the week to observe what time and in what circumstances the pet goes to the toilet: even after such a short time interval, you can make a clear schedule, according to which you later need to walk.
- Experts respond ambiguously about the connection of games in the fresh air and the urge to defecate: someone advises to first wait for the “done work”, and only then have some fun with the baby. Someone is trying to stimulate physical needs with emotional activity. But, in any case, after accomplishing the main goal of the walk, you need to stay on the air a little more (5-10 minutes), thereby encouraging the puppy, as well as securing a stable pattern of behavior in his memory.
- Some owners mention "emotional bowel movement", not understanding how to deal with it. Cynologists are sure that this is not required - if the puppy is healthy (has no problems with the urinogenital system), this will pass with age.
As for the home "toilet", which is recommended to have in case of a sudden urge, it should be the same. In the case when the puppy is trying to defecate at another point, especially if he does it systematically, you need to move a bowl or bedding there, because dogs never “mix” these locations.
It should be noted that training a puppy to the toilet on the street always takes a lot of time, even if we are talking about a pet catching all the teams on the fly. Cynologists say that the behavior of the animal will be fully formed only by 11-12 months, so up to this age limit you will have to closely monitor its mode of the day and continue training.
How to teach a toilet adult dog?
It is much easier to work with an adult, although there are a number of pitfalls here, because if the dog was initially laid in the wrong settings, and she lived with them all her life, it will not be easy to re-form the mind. At the same time, according to professionals, an adult animal can be taught to any team in 2-3 weeks or even less, but, of course, if the training is permanent and well-constructed.
- It is advisable to walk along the same route: so the dog will remember which point to which it is “tied”, where the last time “things were done”, where the owner played with it. An unfamiliar place, on the contrary, can cause an internal spasm that prevents a bowel movement: for this reason, on the first walk, it is likely that you will not achieve any result.
- Be sure to follow the schedule: go for a walk every day at the same time, and it is desirable that it be associated with the same set feeding and game times.
- Cynologists are advised to take warm water with them to get the dog drunk during the walk if he refuses to go to the toilet.
By and large, the method of training an adult dog is no different from the one recommended for puppies, so you will also need to monitor the behavior of your pet, checking when it starts whining or circling around a certain place - not all dogs understand that you need to scrape the door, hinting at walking.
- The most important thing in the procedure of training is your patience. Even if the animal is mistaken from time to time, systematically defecating in the apartment, it is impossible to get lost on it. It is better to pretend that nothing happened, to tidy up silently and try to stimulate the natural urge on the next walk.
In order not to provoke the animal to relieve the need of an apartment, in the places not intended for this, do not treat the floors with ammonia-containing chemical means, as they cause an associative array of odors leading to their own feces, which tells the dog "there was already a toilet can". In addition, remove carpets and paths, especially if there is a small puppy in the house, and not an adult dog.