The appearance in the house of a tiny fluffy creature, which constantly makes funny sounds "Meow", is always marked for the owners with joy and interest. Raising a pet is no less a matter of responsibility than caring for a child. The first difficulty that all four-legged pet owners face is how to teach a kitten to go to the tray.
How to teach a kitten to the tray for 1 day?
Tearing a little kitten from the cat-mother is allowed in 3-4 months. It is to this period that the cat has already managed to adapt and, perhaps, get used to the toilet. If there is no opportunity to take a kitten of that age and you bring a very tiny animal into the house, all the upbringing and toilet training are laid on you.
You must talk to the previous owners and find out if the kitten was accustomed to the tray and what type of filler they used. This is very important because it is more difficult to retrain a cat than to teach it from scratch. If you do it right, your four-legged pet will know where his toilet is located already after the day has passed.
So, if you decide to put a tray for a kitten, then you need to choose it correctly:
- the size of the toilet tray must be suitable for the kitten;
- if, by virtue of its breed, the cat has short legs or is still too young in age, choose containers whose sides do not exceed 6 cm;
- can be taken trays, equipped with a grid for cleaning;
- learn the peculiarities of the breed and the kitten's upbringing, perhaps he likes only trays with a roof;
- Put the toilet in a secluded place where the kitten can feel safe, and its natural processes will be hidden from prying eyes of curious owners.
After you have solved the problem with the tray, select the appropriate filler. As already mentioned, if the four-legged pet was previously accustomed to the toilet, the type of filler is undesirable. If you are at the helm of the learning process, choose any filler. Conventionally, they can be divided into two large groups:
- transformed into lumps.
Having visited a zoological shop, many owners simply get lost because of a large assortment of fillers. The most popular type of toilet filler for cats is clay. Other organic materials are added to its composition. It can be converted into lumps and not only perfectly absorbs the liquid, but also retains moisture.
You can choose a filler from wood - it is more environmentally friendly. If you are ready to tidy up the house every day, then you can safely choose such a filler, as it sticks to the kitten's paws. On sale are fillers made from silicate gel. They have the form of granules and do an excellent job with the task. Such fillers may have an indicator, that is, the wet granules will change their color. You can choose a suitable filler by trial and error, so do not immediately purchase a large package.
Where to put the tray?
As already mentioned, a place for cat litter should be secluded and protected from prying eyes. It is these four-legged pets who prefer to cope with their needs in hidden corners. It is best to put the cat tray in the rooms where the bathroom is located. For a pet, access to his toilet should be constantly open, otherwise do not be surprised if he has done his business on a carpeted floor.
If for the first time a kitten went out of need by no means into a tray, try moving the container to that particular place. Perhaps then you will no longer have problems with this, as your pet chose a place for itself. In addition, the kitten should see its tray well in the dark, so there is no need to put it behind the fence, pipes, etc. By the way, too loud extraneous sounds, for example, the rumble of water through the pipes or the noise of a running pump, can frighten a small four-legged pet. .
Effective ways of "education" kitten
Some of us, perhaps, faced problems in the process of teaching a four-legged pet to the toilet. Experts identify three main and truly effective way. Let's look at each of them in more detail:
- From the very first day of your stay at your kitten’s home, limit your freedom of movement. As a rule, trays are placed in the rooms where the bathroom is located, so it is best to protect the kitten from space, leaving a small area for movement. Little pet needs to be shown where its toilet is. As practice shows, the kittens immediately after a meal in a hurry to relieve themselves, so you can gently take the crumbs, without squeezing his stomach, and put him in a tray. You will see that in 2-3 days the kitten will independently go to the appointed place.
- The second method is also considered no less effective and efficient. You can watch where the kitten has chosen the place, and then put the tray there. Well, if this place suits you, and the tray will not stand under your feet. What to do otherwise? Every day you can move the tray 5-10 cm in the direction of the place that you chose for the cat litter. In this position, the tray should be left for a day. You'll see, you yourself will not notice how the cat tray will stand in a convenient place, and the four-legged pet will learn to toilet.
- To teach a little pet to the toilet can be another way. Place an empty tray in the right place. Observe where the kitten first meets its natural need. Then it is necessary to wet the puddle with a paper napkin and place it in the tray. It is not necessary at this time to pour into the cat's toilet any filler, otherwise it will absorb the smell, and the pet simply does not understand anything. Day after day the kitten will feel this smell and go to the toilet only in the place you have arranged.
Be sure in the period of such training cat should be praised. Almost all cats love affection. After each trip to the tray, stroke your four-pet and treat him with a treat. These animals are very tricky, so henceforth the kitten will carry out everything it has been taught for the next portion of goodies.
What to do with an adult cat?
In practice, it often happens that people choose adult pets or move to a new home. In this case, you have to re-teach the cat to the toilet. For adult four-legged pets, select the appropriate tray size. It should be durable and as stable as possible. The height of the sides should exceed 10 cm, so that the cat does not scatter the filler. Adult cats love to dig in the filler, and many, after doing their homework, bury holes. In this case, the perfect tray in the form of a house.
If the cat lives with you for a long time, and you just changed your place of residence, take the old tray with you. If an adult pet protests and stubbornly does not visit the toilet in the space provided, this may signal the development of pathologies in its body. Often, cats will notify their bosses about diseases. In this case, you should visit the veterinary clinic and consult with a specialist. Some people use special sprays to haul adults.
When a cat marks its territory everywhere, it will not be easy to accustom him to the tray. In this case, it should be castrated or sterilized. If you do not want to go to extreme measures, again consult with your veterinarian, and he will always give you good advice.
Features habituation to the tray of British kittens
Recently, British kittens have become very popular. They are different and because of their sweet appearance and rebellious nature like many of us. If you get a wayward kitten, then with schooling him to the tray will have to suffer.
In general, kittens of British breeds should be taught to the toilet tray, like all other pets. A cat must be encouraged if he did everything right. You can try the method of "carrots and sticks", but some four-legged pets can then, in spite of their owners, relieve themselves by the toilet. If all your attempts are in vain, contact your veterinarian, and he will advise you a special means in the form of a spray.
As you can see, to teach a kitten to the toilet, on the one hand, is a simple matter. On the other hand, you will have to be patient and persistent. If you decide to acquire a pet, then be prepared for a long training process. Any four-legged pets in the house is a big responsibility, so before you start a kitten, carefully weigh the pros and cons.