Simple, but at the same time very elegant and stylish Roman curtains will perfectly fit into the interior of any room, no matter if it is a bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen or nursery. Most often, Roman curtains can be seen in the kitchens, where everything should be without any embellishment, but with taste.
You have long wanted to sew roman blinds with your own hands, but did not know how to do this? Then read on! And it does not matter if you have golden hands or you do not know how to sew at all, the main thing is to want. Of course, you can’t sew Roman curtains in five minutes, but if you know some features of their tailoring, then you can get the curtains on everyone’s envy, and your loved ones or loved ones will appreciate the work of your efforts. In addition, why buy expensive curtains in the store if you can sew curtains of any color and design yourself without much financial effort?
What is roman blinds?
Despite the growing popularity of the Roman blinds, many still have little idea what it is. Roman curtains is the oldest method of draping windows, whose history began in ancient Rome. Now it is an original and strict type of curtains, which will be appropriate in any interior or on a window of any shape. It is necessary to take one of the magazines about interior design, and you are sure to find there examples of Roman curtains.
Roman curtains are flat cloths of fabric, which are processed along the edges and during lifting with the help of a chain mechanism are formed into harmonious folds. Sharpness of forms in such curtains is achieved using small size rails.
Straightened Roman curtain looks like a flat screen, reliably protecting the room from the penetration of bright sunlight. If the curtain is in the folded state, then it is going to fold the top of the window.
The functionality of the Roman curtains allows you to install them in the window opening, the wall and even fix it on the ceiling. They are easily located even in places difficult from the point of view of decoration, such as a kitchen window or a glazed loggia. Also, Roman blinds can be used where there is not enough space for curtains on the sides of the window.
How to choose fabric for roman blinds?
You can sew roman blinds from any fabric, from heavy curtain fabric to transparent light tulle. However, it is best to give preference to dense rigid materials that can keep their shape well, placing emphasis on the assembled folds. When the curtain is lowered completely, a straight line shows the texture and beauty of the material, which will undoubtedly be evident. And taking into account that not so much material is required for the Roman blinds and the consumption of fabric is also small, you can not skimp and purchase some exclusive designer textiles.
If your task is to sew such curtains that would protect the room from inquisitive glances, but at the same time did not protect them from sunlight, then you should dwell on translucent fabrics. And if your goal is opposite - to protect yourself from sunlight, then choose opaque fabrics. On the reverse side, they are usually treated with special impregnation. In addition, they are not only not subject to fading, but also protect furniture, wallpaper and other things from it.
If you are going to decorate the kitchen with roman blinds, then consider such a moment that the kitchen is a place where various odors, steam and soot gather. Therefore, the material for the curtain must necessarily have dirt-repellent properties, it is easy to wash and not to deteriorate from frequent washes.
How to make a Roman curtain: materials
For sewing Roman blinds you will need:
- Fabric for curtains
- Sticky tape width curtains
- Wooden, metal or plastic pins 7-8 pcs.
- Plastic rings - 2 for each drawstring
- Cord - 3 cuts (2 for the length of the curtains and 1 for the width)
- Wooden plank for hanging curtains, weave plate
- Carnations and Hooks
- Scheme for cutting roman blinds
- Step-by-step tailoring Roman curtains do it yourself
- So, start sewing! Measure the parameters of the window opening, add 5 cm to the side seams and another 12-15 cm to the allowance at the bottom and top of the curtains. To correctly sew Roman blinds with your own hands, you need to accurately calculate the desired size and number of warehouses, depending on the length of your curtains. To do this, look at the table.
- Now mark on the wrong side of the line of folds, lines of the turn and places for the installation of rings under the scheme. Keep in mind that the future folds should be placed at an equal distance, otherwise the Roman blind will lie unevenly and asymmetrically. Then process the side edges of the material.
- Now take a furniture stapler or studs and nail the velcro onto the underside of the wooden beam, onto which the curtain will be attached. Process the upper part of the curtain and wash the velcro residue. This way you will be able to remove and wash the curtains in the future as often as necessary.
- At the bottom of the curtains make a turn, since the width of the "pocket" will allow you to push the bar inside.
- Attach the trim border on the inside of the curtains. Insert the slats into the pockets.
- Next, mark the location of the rings and sew them yourself, as shown in the diagram. On a wooden bar, the rings are fastened with carnations to the bar itself, so they will fix the whole mechanism.
- Now you need to fix the curtain with Velcro. Attach a window fastener to the window frame and wind the cord around the frame to fix the curtain. Thread the cord into the rings, moving from the bottom edge, and tie a knot on the bottom ring. Fasten it with glue for strength.
- Thread the cord through all the rings to the top edge of the Roman blinds. Repeat this operation with all the rows of rings so that all the cords are threaded onto one side of the curtains through the upper rings. Pull the cords tighter and make sure the folds are as evenly as possible across the curtain. Bands secure folds in this position. After all the cords have been threaded, pass them with the help of the upper rings-fastenings to one side.
- Now fix the wooden timber types on the window frame. Remove the ribbons that fixed the curtain, and it immediately drops. Adjust the position of all cords, and, holding them together, tie the knot so that it is located behind the last ring. Thread the cords through the handle to lift the curtains and, departing 46 cm from the very first knot, make another knot. At the bottom of the knots cut the ends of the cords.
Attach the fastener for the cord to the window frame and wind the cord around it to fix the curtain. Well, that's all Roman curtains are ready with your own hands!
Roman curtains can give additional expressiveness with the help of decorative trim of the bottom edge. Here you can show your imagination and make fringes, tassels on the curtains or even stick special decorative stickers.
It is worth noting that the Roman blinds have a lot of advantages. It is practical, easy to operate and manage, they are easily detached from the eaves for replacement or washing. These curtains, by the way, you can curtain the gap between the living room and the corridor. True, in this case, you will need two Roman curtains, otherwise the wrong side will be visible. Try, experiment and you will succeed!