The clothes on an elastic band are very convenient and practical. Even sewing a seamstress can also sew such things easily. In recent years, fashion skirts with elastic bands, which are sewn from different materials. It is most convenient to sew a wide elastic band to the skirt; it is not as stretched as the usual thin one and keeps the shape of the product.
Fashionable skirt with your own hands? It's simple!
To begin the process of making the skirt simple cut you need to build patterns. This model does not provide a fastener and consists of 2 pieces of fabric. You can sew the product for a couple of hours. It is recommended to take a fabric that will stretch in the transverse direction. Ideal knit materials of medium elasticity.
The model of the trapezium skirt does not require to carry out the waist line with great accuracy, therefore, to build its patterns, use the simplified method. If your figure is close to the average parameters and clearly corresponds to the size, it will be very easy to make a pattern. As an example, take a skirt with a length of 40 cm, girth of the hips 96 cm, and an increase in freedom to fit in the hips 4 cm, but you can take more. Now it turns out that the volume of the product on the hips will be 100 cm. In order to complete the drawing of the pattern you need to take ¼ part of this value, that is, 25 cm.
First you need to build a simple grid. Mark the bottom line on the paper, and the length of the skirt will go upwards - 40 cm, then the waistline, and 20 cm below it the hips. The side vertical line will be located 25 cm from the midline of the cut fabric.
When the grid is ready, build sidelines. The skirt needs to be slightly flared, to do this, slightly tilt the side line. Determine the size of the slope yourself, depending on how much fluffy skirt you want to sew. To build a sideline, reduce the waist line by 4 cm, while the hip line should remain unchanged. After 2 points, draw a flat line, as a result, the bottom line will expand.
For example, it increased by 4 cm, for a longer skirt the increase will be more. Reduce the waist by 4 cm should be only if you are sewing a product made of elastic fabric, otherwise you will need a fastener. Before starting work, it is recommended to check your fabric for stretchability.
Next you need to build a line of the bottom of the product and waist. On the skirt pattern, the waistline will have to intersect with the sideline, and form a right angle with it. To simplify the process, take a right triangle and use it to draw a perpendicular to the side line, which originates from the waist line. In the same way, hold the bottom line of the product. Measure the length of the skirt along the side and center lines. The obtained dimensions should be the same, there should be a sideline divergence plus 1 cm. Now measure the waist line and multiply the value by 4, and then compare it with the girth of your waist. The size of the pattern should be larger.
Draw the waist and bottom lines smoothly with smoothing corners in the center. Thus it turns out the pattern for the front part of the product with the fold located in the middle. For the same pattern tails back skirt. When laying out the paper pattern on the fabric, do not forget to make seam allowances at least 1 cm. But it is better to leave 1.5 cm.
Options layout patterns on the fabric:
- If the fabric has a large width, you can get 2 solid parts. For such a case, use the 1st layout method. Fold the fabric in the middle and position the middle line at the fold. Both parts are obtained with a bend, and they will need to be grind only along the side seams.
- When the width of the fabric is insufficient, you have to perform the back of the skirt of 2 halves and make the middle seam. The fabric should be folded to the right and place a paper pattern on it.
- This method of making paper patterns for the skirt is perfect for cutting the linings to the flared skirts of any models. When sewing on the waist line you need to lay the folds, so that the upper cut of the lining coincides with that of the skirt. If the skirt has a buckle at the back, the lining should be cut out with a back seam.
- Before k sewed gum need to prepare a skirt. After you have folded your fabric and pinned a pattern to it, make a seam allowance and carefully cut out 2 pieces. Then proceed to their grinding. Fold the parts over one another inside with the front side and pin them with safety pins, tack the parts along the side seams with a basting seam. If you want to make a lining, cut it in the same way from another fabric, but make it a little smaller.
- Sew the details of the skirt on the sewing machine along the side seams, sew 2 pieces of the lining. Align the waistline of the skirt and its lining. If the skirt turns out to be larger, carefully assemble the assemblies on it so that the upper cuts coincide with the lining. Lay the machine stitch, departing 0, 5 cm from the upper cut. Wrap the free upper edge manually or using overlock.
Skirt with elastic: pattern
How to sew a wide elastic band to the skirt?
Now it remains only to sew gum, which is done very simply, it is important not to rush and do the work carefully. It is better to take an elastic band 4-5 cm wide. The length of an elastic band in an unstretched form should be a couple of cm less than the girth of your waist. Cut the desired length and connect the edges of the gum, pin them together. And then stitch on the machine, departing from the edge of 0.5 cm on each side. Allocation allowances on the sides and lay on the edge of the machine seams. This is to ensure that they do not clumsy.
Next, begin to sew the gum itself. Machine stitch will need to lay on the front side, retreating a couple of mm from the bottom edge of the wide elastic band. It is very important to preserve the elasticity of the elastic after sewing on the skirt. Apply it to the upper allowance of the skirt. The line should be elastic. How to achieve this? The easiest way is to stretch the elastic and lay the machine stitch along its bottom edge. Before sewing, it is recommended to pin it to the top of the skirt with pins or to basting with a basting stitch. This will sew a straight stitch at the same distance from the edge.
Another method that can be used if you are not sure that you can even attach the seam. On the upper edge of the skirt, make 2 parallel straight lines at a short distance from each other. Then trim them skirt and adjust its upper cut to the size of the elastic in the unstretched state.
Then pin the elastic to the skirt with safety pins or secure with a stitch that is used for basting. It is best to sew on a zigzag stitch, which should be of medium thickness, wide so that it stretches well and keeps the elasticity of the elastic. When the stitch run along the entire length of the gum, you can remove the temporary seams.
The bottom of the skirt can be processed using overlock, using overlay for thin fabrics. Or tuck on 1 cm and hem the usual line, with the free edge to be wrapped in the seam. Similarly, the lower seam of the lining can be processed.
As you can see, to sew a skirt on an elastic band simply and quickly. With this model, you can begin to learn the basic rules of sewing. It is convenient to use wide elastic bands that will not only hold the skirt and retain its shape, but will become elements of the product's decor. The stores sell a lot of gum of various widths and shades, you can choose exactly the color of the fabric.