With the arrival of spring, every woman seeks to update her wardrobe with new skirts, because during the long winter months the legs are asking for the sun. In addition, such a detail of the wardrobe is never superfluous. And to sew a skirt with your own hands without a pattern is quick and easy.
How to sew a skirt with their own hands: a master class for beginners
Probably everyone remembers that beautiful scene from the movie “Only Girls are in Jazz”, where the famous Marilyn Monroe shows us a gorgeous flight of the hem of a skirt, standing over the ventilation hatch. You can repeat this only if you have a fluffy skirt in the wardrobe. In addition, such a detail of clothing perfectly emphasizes the beauty of female legs and hides figure flaws. Try to sew such a skirt, following our master class.
- fabric size 1x1.5 m;
- 10-20 cm lightning;
- a pen;
- sewing machine;
- measuring tape.
Step-by-step process description:
- Take the prepared piece of fabric and fold it as shown in the picture. The size of the fabric depends on what length of skirt you want to end up with.
- Then you need to make a simple calculation. Measure the volume of your waist with tape and divide the resulting number by 2 * 3.14. For example, if the waist volume is 69 cm, we divide it by 2 * Pi and as a result we get 11 cm.
- Now take a ruler and measure the resulting value from the treated edge of the fabric.
- Using a pen or chalk, draw a circle with a radius of 11 cm. If your sizes differ, do not forget to state your value.
- Then cut off the intended angle.
- Next you need to do the same, but with a large radius of a circle along the bottom edge of the skirt.
- As a result of all the manipulations with the fabric, we end up with a shape resembling a CD.
- Before you start creating a belt, you need to make an incision for the zipper inside a smaller circle.
- To make a belt, take as a basis your waist size plus 2-3 cm on the seams. For example, the photo shows a belt measuring 73x15 cm, but you can change these parameters depending on the waist size and the desired width of the trim.
- Fold the rectangle in half and, using the longest "straight stitch" on the sewing machine, sew the fabric along the entire length.
- Starting with the zipper cut, secure the belt to the fabric with pins and sew on a sewing machine.
- Attach the zippers with pins and gently attach it to the skirt, holding the seam as close as possible to the lock.
- At the final stage we hem the skirt hem, taking an allowance of 1-1.5 cm from the edge.
We sew the original half skirt
First of all, how does a sun skirt differ from a half sun? If we take into account only the appearance, the half-sun skirt is not so lush and wide. And if you turn to the sewing business, the main difference is the presence of 1 or 2 seams. It is these joints that often constitute the main problem in cutting for beginning needlewomen.
In fact, everything is quite simple and you can sew a half-skirt in several steps:
- Fold the fabric in half with the front side in and secure the edges with safety pins.
- For cutting, we take 2 measurements, waist circumference and skirt length.
- On both sides of the right angle, put off half of the total waist and draw a semicircular line.
- Now, starting from the top line, measure the desired length and draw the bottom line. That's the whole cut of the half-skirt.
- The second half is done in a similar way, after which all the details are cut and sewn together with straight lines.
Equally important in the cutting of the half-skirt is the choice of fabric. Beginners sewing art is better to choose the material without pictures, which holds its shape well. The thing is that at the junction of the seams the pattern may not coincide, and if the fabric is too stretched, the seam will go to the side and the finished skirt will be irretrievably damaged.
Straight skirt without a pattern - it's quick and easy!
The classic of the genre at all times was and remains the usual pencil skirt. She gained wide popularity among the fair sex due to its universal fit. The straight skirt not only fits perfectly with the strict office blouses, but also looks with various loose-cut shirts and summer T-shirts. Let's sew the same pencil skirt as in our master class.
- a piece of knitted fabric measuring about 50 × 100 cm;
- pen or chalk;
- old pencil skirt.
Step-by-step process description:
- First you need to cut into pieces the old and unnecessary pencil skirt, it will serve us with a kind of pattern.
- Then on the fabric folded in half we draw the border, making a 1-2 cm seam allowance.
- We turn out the fabric with the wrong side inwards and sew it on a typewriter according to the intended standards.
- Then we fold the belt in two layers and stitch on a typewriter with a straight stitch along the entire waist.
- Turn the skirt on the front side and lightly iron the seam. The result should be approximately the same as shown in the picture.
- Now fold the hem in two layers and sew along the bottom edge with a straight stitch, just like on the waist.
- Finally, iron the bottom seam and the pencil skirt is ready.
So simple and affordable for every woman, you can expand and update your wardrobe for the upcoming warm season. Besides, sewing things with your own hands is not only easy, but also quite an exciting and useful activity. Having spent a minimum of means and efforts, in return you receive unique subjects of clothes.