Everyone knows that a woman’s wardrobe is never full. You always want something new, and especially often it concerns dresses. To replenish the cabinet, it is advisable to learn to sew yourself. Taking into account the eternal lack of time, it is difficult not to think - is it possible to somehow simplify the task? For example, try to sew a dress without a pattern.
Is it possible to quickly sew a dress with your own hands without a pattern?
It is possible to work without schemes prepared in advance by someone and complex constructions that most beginner craftswomen frighten, however such work still has a number of limitations. Not every thing can be created in minutes and without painstaking work.
- It is impossible to create a fitted sheath dress without relying on the pattern. Of course, you can throw 2 pieces of fabric on yourself, fasten them with needles along the silhouette, sweep the side seams, and visually the product will sit around the figure, but not as perfect as the right case should do: unnecessary and spoiling the whole look of folds, discomfort when moving. After all, the pattern is not only a silhouette, but also an account of all the necessary darts and undercuts, calculated from the measurements obtained.
Thus, a dress made in 5 minutes with its own hands can have only a free silhouette. If you want to get a more fitted, fitting product, use the cunning specialists: find the same dress in your wardrobe, attach it to the new material, circle around the form and, keeping the seam allowances, cut the details, then sew them together. However, there still have to translate and tuck the old dress.
- Regardless of whether you intend to build a pattern or not, you will still have to take some measurements: otherwise, instead of an elegant thing, you will have an oversized hoodie. These are the girth of 3 main points (hips, waist, chest), as well as the height of the back to the waist (from the 7th vertebra) and the length of the product. If you intend to tailor the dress to the floor, it is recommended to make auxiliary points for yourself: the distance from the waist to the knee and from the waist to the hip.
Initially, you need to decide on what style will have a new element of wardrobe: without precise patterns, they usually sew trapeze dresses, as well as the sun and a half-sun, straight fitted silhouettes with drapes. The fabric on them is recommended to choose not too tight: the ideal are soft, not crumpling options: chiffon, silk, satin, crepe-satin, you can use cotton with the addition of elastane or viscose, when it comes to summer clothes. If you are not afraid of synthetics, you can apply with a thin smooth knitwear.
Simple everyday dresses in 5 minutes: expert advice
The fastest in the performance - the model of the Greek silhouette. For their realization only a very light fabric is needed, the width of which should be 1.3-1.5 m, and the length - 2 product lengths.
- To decide how the dress should look on you, where drapery is needed and how to direct it, throw 1 piece (in 1 piece of the product) in front of the mirror and form the neck of the bodice by hand. It does not always fit - you might want to make asymmetry with the 1st wide strap, or you can both pull down on your shoulders, allowing the material to gather freely on the chest.
- When you are sure that you like the silhouette, grab the main points with pins: these are the width of the waist, the place of the armhole, and also part of the folds of the bodice. It is recommended to go over the top of the top immediately with basting stitches. The back can do the same.
- If it is difficult to constantly adjust the model on oneself, but there is no dummy, sew 2 rectangles along the side seams so that the width of the resulting "pipe" equals ON * 1.3 cm. At the same time, the seam should stop exactly at the beginning of the armhole of the sleeve.
- After that, start collecting the same folds on the bodice, grabbing them from the inside, work on the top edge and cut off the excess. Finally, add a ribbon as a belt to emphasize the waist and create natural pleats on the skirt.
Interesting ideas can be found in the tutorial videos with Olga Nikishicheva: how to sew a dress with your own hands quickly and without a pattern, to make it look like from a red carpet, how to choose material and how to cope with the task in half an hour - this is simply and clearly explained by the famous fashion designer . In particular, the flying silk dress to the floor looks attractive, due to the simplicity and streamlined silhouette suitable for any woman.
- The shape of the main parts is 1/4 of the sun, the radius of which is the height from the 7th vertebra to the floor. Then make a small 1/4 of a circle in it, from the same point (from the corner), with a radius of 15 cm. This will be the neck, which should be assembled afterwards. Such details must be drawn and cut 2 pieces.
- After that, make the side seams, connecting the parts from the bottom up. However, you need to stop before reaching the neck of 20-25 cm. This figure depends on the depth of the armhole of the sleeve that you want to have.
- It is recommended to use the same fabric for the fillet of the neck: you should attach the finished top of the dress to it and repeat the circular bend. The width of the facing is 5-7 cm. Inside it will be hollow to pass through it a ribbon that will hold the dress on its shoulders. If there is no tape, you can use the same material, from which a strip of 75-80 cm and a width of 3-4 cm is cut.
Do not forget to process all the edges of the internal seams, especially if the fabric is prone to flaking. For greater attractiveness, the neck can be decorated with small decorative elements, tightly seated with each other. And if for you the silhouette turned out to be too free, you should add a belt to the waist. By the same algorithm, you can perform a shorter dress.
Is it difficult to sew a dress for a holiday?
The closer the celebration creeps, the more often a woman thinks that she has nothing to wear, and sometimes even wonders how to sew a dress with her hands quickly and without a pattern for the New Year or Birthday. Moreover, these thoughts often appear exactly one day before the event itself, which greatly complicates the task. The solution can be found. Of course, this will require not 5 or 10 minutes of free time, but you certainly won't have to spend the whole week at a sewing machine.
- If you have decided on the silhouette - half the work is done. Be sure to draw a sketch, decide whether the finished dress will be decorated, what will be its "highlight", the main accent. If you do not want (or not possible) to invent decorative elements for him, find an interesting fabric that is self-sufficient in pattern or color. Most often, such materials can be found in European manufacturers, leading fashion houses: in particular, a large number of amazing options from Roberto Cavalli and Dolce&Gabbana. However, such a fabric, of course, will be much more expensive than the "nameless."
After it became clear how your dress should look like, mentally remove all draperies and imagine what form it originally came from. The most popular among the evening dresses is the Empire silhouette, gathered under the bust; when laying on the fabric, it is a rectangle from the hip and tapering to a point under the breast, as well as an almost complete fit over it. There are 2 options for sewing, and the choice is yours.
- According to professionals, it is most reasonable to make a dress under the breast. To do this, you need to cut a rectangle whose width is 10-12 cm larger than the volume of your hips. At the same time, the lower short side remains equal to this value (OB + 12), and the upper one — OB-3. In this way, an elongated trapezoid, cut by the 1st part, is obtained in order to have a seam only at the back.
- For the bodice, a rectangle is drawn, whose height is equal to the distance from the junction of the bodice and skirt to the intended upper edge with an increase of 10 cm. The width is calculated using the OG formula * 1.5, since it is supposed to create folds that will allow you to do without darts.
- First, you need to process the edges of each of the 2 parts, for which it is recommended to use the overlock: remember that in this case, the seam allowance should be at least 5 cm. overlock cuts off a piece of fabric. In the absence of such a technique, you can simply perform a seam-zigzag on an ordinary typewriter. Fold the long side of the rectangle for the bodice 2 times (to the very 10 cm), hem it: this will be its upper edge.
- Then connect the bodice and skirt at the place of their intended meeting, sweep, creating a uniform drape: at the top and bottom of the depth of the folds will be different. After that, stretch the long thread through the seam and pull it together so that its length is equal to the width of the girth under the breast with the addition of 2-3 cm (then the high waist, which is the seam, will not interfere with your free breathing).
- Insert the zipper in the back seam from the top edge of the bodice, if necessary, add thin straps. The best decoration for a dress of this type is a belt in a high waist. If the fabric is plain, it can be quite wide, rich in decor. If the material is selected with a pattern, it is better to take a thin, inconspicuous belt. It is better not to do slots to it: it should fit snugly to the body on its own.
An alternative sewing option is to work with 2 identical wedges, identical to the trapeze, which was drawn for the details of the skirt. The upper (short) edge should be equal to the chest girth with an increase of 3-4 cm. In this case, there will be side seams along which they are joined, forming a rough silhouette. After that, the upper edge of the bodice is processed, the waist is tightened with an internal thread, a belt is added to cover the assembly line. The zipper is inserted into any of the side seams.
It is recommended to sew a dress of a similar style from dense chiffon or stretch-satin, or even to make from 2 layers so that the top thin does not shine through. It is perfect for owners of "rectangle" and "pear" figures, because it hides the lack of a waistline and excessive amount of hips, and also draws a figure, which visually makes a woman taller.
In conclusion, it should be said that such fast dresses without patterns, nevertheless, are of the same type, and therefore similar to each other. To maximize your wardrobe, look for unusual materials and combinations, pay attention to the finish, and, of course, the subsequent layout of the ensemble.