A bias tape is a necessary addition in needlework, which is required mainly when working with loose fabrics, as well as those that are able to stretch, distorting the pattern of the material. Basically it is attached to the neck, sleeves, armholes, etc. The slanting inlay is irreplaceable even when sewing curtains, so knowledge about working with it will not be superfluous.
Slanting do-it-yourselfers: the subtleties of sewing
Although it is easy to purchase a slanting in-store in a store, most often you have to do it yourself. And not so much because of the cost of the item, but because of the need to fit it perfectly into the product. The name "slanting inlay" already says that it cuts out on the fabric diagonally. It is important to calculate the width of the finished element, increase the number by 2 times, and then add the seam allowances on the sides. The final value will be the width of the strip that you need to draw and cut out of fabric.
Some novice craftswomen who want to save material cut out strips along a lobar or transverse thread, thereby reducing the consumption of fabric. But such an edging will eventually be suitable only for rectangular parts. It is absolutely not suitable for the neck, armhole and other elements, where the inlay is laid out and is attached in a circle. Therefore, on the seamy side of the selected fabric at an angle of 45 degrees stripes of the desired width are drawn, which are pre-calculated. Additionally, you will need to calculate in advance the length of the slanting inlay, measuring the part that she will sheathe. However, it is allowed to increase the material if, for certain reasons, the backing turned out to be shorter, and it was not enough for the whole area. It will not affect its main function, but from an aesthetic point of view, inaccuracy is possible.
When the ends of a slanting inlay will be combined, closing in a circle, or the material will grow, you will need to take into account an important nuance. The edges of the oblique bakey are cut off and are also grinded at an angle of 45 degrees. After the bakes are laid on each other and then ironed, they will create a right angle. This is an action where high accuracy is important: deviations of even 1 mm should not be allowed in order not to get a general shift of the fringes. In addition, there are many difficulties in sewing the oblique beyke.
Bias binding: how to sew? Videos and Tips
- Regardless of the part to which the slanting inlay is attached, a preparatory stage is performed with it, consisting in fixing the hem. The main method used here is to iron the ribbon in half, and then begin to stitch it to the product. Less often, the skilled workers iron not only the tape, but also its edges. Beforehand, it is necessary to adjust the temperature of the iron: after working with a strip of fabric, there should not be a clear crease on it at the place of the fold.
- The tape is folded in half, the edges are neatly combined with maximum precision, and as the iron moves forward, the material is adjusted to prevent distortions. After this procedure, the band has decreased by 2 times, reaching a width of 2 cm or less now. In this area you will need to fix a hot iron and hem to facilitate the process of sewing an oblique bei. It is easier to do this if the ironed tape is opened, focusing on the middle line left by the iron.
- If there is not enough experience for self-preparation, and all efforts are wasted, professionals recommend finding a snail for sale, in which the necessary tape is worn, after which it is pulled through the tool. At the exit, there is a back bend that is immediately gently ironed. Often bundled with such "snails", of which there are several (of different sizes) in the set, special pads are attached, making it easy to attach the slanting tape. Some sewing machines have such a foot immediately in the configuration, and separately it can cost a lot.
- The iron is also useful at the initial stage of sewing the oblique bake to the product. You need to bend the edge of the tape with a cold iron, then gently sweep this part of the bake on the front side and hem it. Thanks to the line left by the iron, it will be easy to lead the seam along the hem without displacing it. The main thing is not to perform the same actions with a hot iron: the trace from it will not disappear so quickly, and unlike the central fold line, it is needed only for a while as an assistant.
- If the oblique inlay is not attached to a curtain or curtain, but to a piece of clothing, it is necessary to make sure that its edge located on the wrong side of the product is 1-2 mm lower than the one located on the front side. Subsequently, a finishing seam will pass through it, which, with full symmetry of the edges of the tape, is able to get past the border.
How to process a mouth with an oblique bake?
Most often oblique bake handle sleeve, armhole or neck. Those. in most cases, these are round parts, and it is difficult to keep the tape evenly on them. For this reason, it is recommended to cut out very narrow strips initially, since it is much more difficult with extensive difficulties and the probability of sewing them inaccurately increases. The optimal width of the unfolded tape is 2.5–3 cm, and only for thin fabrics the indicator is increased to 5 cm. As a result, after bending the width in width will be 1-2.5 cm.
The technology of working with a bias tape for a store tape and made on its own is no different. Its edge is sewn by car to the border of the product, after which the other edge is applied along its perimeter and pinned with needles or pins. Only after a complete fixation, carefully checked for the absence of displacements, you can begin to sweep away the strip and the product. In the final you need to go through the decorative line on the front side, leading the seam close to the border of the hem (2-3 mm from it).
Craftswomen advise to adjust the tension of the threads on the sewing machine and choose the correct needle thickness, especially if the work is done with a thin cloth. In addition to aesthetics, large holes left by a thick needle will lead to the fact that the inlay in a few minutes will come off, slipping from the edge of the product. In addition, for the same reasons, it is worthwhile to choose the average stitch length: in no case do not put its value on the small one.
A lot of questions are caused by the place where the ends of the bake are connected: being in a prominent area, it will spoil the impression of the product. Therefore, if it is not possible to immediately predict and calculate the specific point where the seam will appear, it is recommended to start hemming the oblique not with its very tip, but leaving 6-7 cm to it. But, of course, even with this tactic, a preliminary estimate is necessary, which will allow you to see all the existing errors. Especially often it is required to work with shoulder seams.
How to sew a slanting tape on curtains?
It is much easier to sew an oblique piping on the curtains than on the neck or armhole, since you have to work with an even cut that does not have bends. However, here craftswomen recommend purchasing factory parts, and be sure to carry out a double hem: in the center and along the edges, ironing each step.
It is up to you whether to carry out a preliminary draft, since the process itself is simple, but slipping of the tape along the material is possible, which will contribute to its displacement. This problem is characteristic of smooth and delicate fabrics: tulle, chiffon, organza. With them it is important to be especially careful in the choice of threads, needles and stitch size: you should forget about small ones here and give preference to the middle needle pitch.
There are 2 ways to sew a slash stitch on curtains. Everyone decides for himself which one is easier. The main one is to "put on" a bent tape on the edge of the material, its lower border, located on the wrong side, should go beyond the one that is located on the front, by 0.2 mm. Holding the edge of the fabric inside the bei, a machine seam is held along the fold.
Alternately, sewing is seldom practiced: a tape with a bent edge is applied to the product so that the boundaries of the fabric and curtain fabric are joined along the wrong side. At the place of internal bending of the strip, a seam is made, fixing the inlay on the product. After that, it folds in half along its center line, maintaining a shift of 0.2-0.3 mm, and a decorative line is laid on the front side.
Thus, the main difficulty in sewing an oblique striker is the constant tracking of the location of its borders, which should not diverge even by 1 mm. Therefore, masters recommend before working with a dress or other thing to practice in fixing the tape on the curtains or tablecloths.