Vegetables grown in their garden, are a real help in the household. In order for them to appear on the table, you need to worry in advance that your tomato crop will not be destroyed by such a dangerous disease as phytophthora. Even in translation, the word sounds ominously - "plant eater".
Phytophthora on tomato seedlings: what to do?
The causative agents of this dangerous disease are spores of fungi. A moderate temperature with high humidity, frequent dew and even rains are a trigger for their activity. Such weather conditions contribute to the rapid development of phytophtoras. Timely action can help stop this disease. Today there are a huge number of chemicals that are designed to combat blight. But many gardeners do not want to use chemicals on their site, and not all of them really help.
More correct and safe is the use of environmental methods of controlling late blight. Natural remedies contain in their composition living microorganisms that destroy the pathogen, while maintaining a useful flora. Many folk remedies for phytophtoras not only help to cure tomatoes, but also to prevent their infection.
The better to spray tomatoes from phytophtora?
- Having seen traces of infection with late blight, tear off rotten fruits and darkened leaves. After that, dilute 1 cup of salt in 10 liters of water and spray the tomatoes. After drying, the solution will create a protective film on the fruit that will help contain the development of the infection.
- Dislikes blight and garlic. Therefore, spraying tomato bushes with a solution of garlic every 14 days will save the crop. If the year is too humid, spray tomatoes at least 5 times. To prepare the therapeutic solution, you need to take 1.5 cups of crushed shoots and heads of garlic, mix them with potassium permanganate and add mass to a bucket of water. For one bush enough to use 0.5 liters of finished infusion.
- Also in the fight against blight will help and tinder fungus. Slightly dried mushroom should be crushed with a sharp knife. Then boil water in a ratio of 1 g of water to 100 g of fungus. Strain the solution through gauze. At the first signs of a disease that has begun, spray tomato bushes immediately. After 14 days, repeat the treatment.
- For spraying diseased tomatoes, you can use a solution of rotten sena or straw, saltpeter and urea. They contain microorganisms that help destroy disease-causing spores without harm to the health of plants.
- The Bordeaux mixture or solution of copper sulfate (1 tbsp. Per 5 liters of water) will help to cope with the disease. They must be sprayed with tomatoes every 10 days.
How is the processing of tomatoes from phytophthora serum?
When dealing with late blight, it is very important to start processing infected plants in time. To reduce the risk of disease, it is necessary to avoid planting tomatoes on the place where potatoes were growing or there are remains of infected plants.
- Whey can also help in the fight against late blight, which must be diluted with water in a ratio of 1 to 1. Starting in July, this solution should be periodically sprayed tomatoes. Another therapeutic solution is a mixture of 1 liter of nonfat milk, 10 l of water and 15 drops of iodine. This means plants best sprayed every 2 weeks.
- A solution of 0.5 l of distilled milk and 10 drops of iodine will help to improve the general condition.Spraying them with tomatoes, it is possible not only to destroy all pathogenic microbes, but also to accelerate the ripening of fruits.
Prevention of phytophthora on tomatoes
As you know, the best way to combat any disease is prevention, and late blight is no exception. To improve the immunity of plants, you can use a decoction of horsetail. In 1 liter of water for half an hour should be boiled 150 g of fresh horsetail or 100 g of dry. The resulting broth is diluted in 5 liters of water, then spray them with tomatoes. You can do this 1 p. in 2 weeks or 1 p. a week if summer is too rainy.
Also in a bucket of water, you can stir the kefir, which defended before this for 2 days. It is necessary to spray all plants with this solution 2 weeks after planting, then spray them weekly throughout the summer.
The basic rules for preventing phytophthora on tomatoes include:
- To plant tomatoes in the same place not earlier than 3 years.
- Carefully treat the planting scheme, avoiding excessive plant thickening.
- It is advisable to choose varieties that are resistant to diseases and those that ripen before phytophthora appear.
- Leaves that grow first before the fruit cluster are best removed to ensure proper ventilation.
- It is also very important to separate the planting of potatoes and tomatoes.
In mid-August, tomatoes growing in open ground should be covered with a film at night, so that the temperature difference does not cause the appearance of the disease. You can make a canopy over the plants, which will protect them from spores that are carried by the wind.
When brown spots appear on leaves and fruits of a tomato, it is time to sound the alarm - they are struck by blight! If you do not take timely measures to combat it, you can lose the entire crop. To cope with the disease is not easy, so prevention was and remains the best method.