Wooden furniture from the trends will not come out for many more years, especially since new fashionable ideas constantly arise, bringing a highlight to the familiar interior. In particular, an artificially aged tree has recently been at its peak of popularity: this effect can be easily realized even with inexpensive pieces of furniture from IKEA.
There are many ways to achieve the effect of old wood. Any of them assumes the presence of several basic elements and tools, without which nothing will work out. Of course, this is the piece of furniture itself, over which manipulations will be made. In addition, a hard brush with metal wave-like bristles is required. The Bulgarian saw with a nozzle in the form of a circular brush can replace it. It is necessary to have several skins of varying degrees of coarseness of the grain: fine for the final polishing, large - for the initial smoothing. You will also need a wit and brushes, which will be applied light (white) paint and antiseptic in a dark tone. In addition, a large foam rubber sponge will become useful, as an analogue for which any piece of dense fabric can make.
The simplest scheme to give the effect of antiquity to wood takes no more than 3 hours, and the final result will not be particularly pronounced. Such equipment is suitable if you want to slightly change the type of furniture, as well as in the absence of a large amount of free time.
For this purpose, it is necessary to walk the wood with a metal brush, leaving long scratches and streaks on it, after which it is advisable to carefully treat the surface with coarse sandpaper. After that, the part is covered with a thin layer of white azure, which is important to give time to dry. The less dense the coating, the faster it will be possible to proceed to the next step, where the wood is processed again with a metal brush. This completes the procedure.
Whichever method your choice ultimately fell on, it is worth knowing that brushing (working with a metal brush) works best on a rough surface: it is pine, larch or oak wood. Therefore, they use this technique mainly to age the floor, doors and doorways, walls. It is undesirable to try to artificially create with a brush streaks on a birch, maple, beech. How long to drive a brush over the surface is a matter of taste. The more uneven the veins in their depth, the more natural the effect will be achieved.
How to age a tree in rocks with unexpressed texture?
- Beech, maple and other species are treated at least as often as pine or oak, as a result of which there are separate ways to add age. In most cases, this patching is the unevenness of color, achieved through the use of paint. It should be said that mechanical surface treatment will also be performed here, but it will be the final stage.
- First you need to paint the wood in a tone close to its natural, and give time to dry the paint. After this, a second layer is applied, as thin as the previous one. It is desirable to choose its shade by 2-3 tones lighter, but in no case brighter. The key rule when dyeing a tree, whose appearance the old must breathe, is the absence of excessively light or bright colors, which are characteristic only of young wood.
- As soon as all layers of paint are completely dry, they are passed over the surface with coarse sandpaper, partially erasing the top layer of paint. It is important to stay on the edge when the amount of looking darker color applied for the first time does not become too frequent. With this method, you need to make things look as if for many years it has been painted more than once, and in some places the coating began to descend.
- The same can be obtained if you use wax or paraffin. The scheme is similar to the previous one: the wood treated with a disinfectant is covered with a thin layer of dark paint, after which the time allowed for drying it waits. On top of the paint is distributed wax, but with separate stains with carefully drawn borders. It is undesirable to make these paraffin areas too close to each other.
- Finally, the product is covered with a new layer of paint a little lighter shade. When it dries, with a spatula with a thin edge, the wax is removed from the wood, the surface is cleaned with sandpaper. From above, it is advisable to apply a stain on which a thin layer of wax is again applied.
Use a trowel
Far from being the last and very popular way of imparting antiquity to a tree is the use of wood stain, which is most actively used for doors and large pieces of furniture: chest of drawers, cabinets, cabinets. Work better in the fresh air or after the procedure, carefully ventilate the room.
Wood is cleaned, dried and treated with water-based stain. It is advisable to make a layer at this stage dense, not allowing it to fully grasp. While the product is still in a liquid state in some areas, it is removed by simple touches of a foam sponge. Do not rub: just get wet with light movements. Masters recommend cleaning the stain on the protruding parts of the product, without affecting the corners and joints. There, on the contrary, it is desirable to additionally apply a brush.
After drying, the surface is treated with a new layer of stain, this time based on white alcohol.
Then, on dry material it is necessary to close all wood pores, for which shellac primer is acquired. It can be applied with a sponge or thin brush. And at the final stage, the ancient wax is rubbed in, distributed by a brush with a metal bristle. This effect of antiquity keeps on the tree longer than those obtained by the previously described methods.
Decoupage craquelure: a master class for small items
Decoupage is a decorative wood processing technique. It is used in most cases for small things: cutting boards, boxes, plates, bread boxes, etc. Sometimes craftsmen work this way even slightly larger items — for example, chairs.
From the old and unremarkable piece of furniture you can make ... even older, but looking stylish and fitting into the country interior. In addition to the previously mentioned tools and tools in the form of paints, varnishes, skins and brushes, this technique requires decoupage cards, which are sheets of paper with an image that later turns out to be on the product.
Initially, the dirt is removed from the thing, after which it is important to allow the wood to dry. Then the surface is cleaned with skins with varying degrees of abrasiveness (from 500 to 1000), which may take 1-2 days. In the final, it is advisable to go with a putty, but without destroying the traces of time: for example, minor damage from insects. After puttying, masters recommend applying acrylic lacquer to the product. It takes 8-12 hours to dry.
The next step is to tint things in a dark tone: deep brown, graphite, etc. Paint chosen acrylic, waterproof. All parts of the product are processed with a special lacquer designed for one-step craquelure. After it is incomplete drying, a thin (this is important!) Layer of paint is selected on top, which is matched 1-2 times lighter than the main one. Until she had time to grab, you need to walk on it with a foam sponge, removing excess material and creating a pattern on the wood. It is desirable to do this unevenly: the resulting cracks will be more natural.
36-48 hours are set aside for the drying of these products, after which the artwork is done with sandpaper. Masters advise to resort to a softer and wipe only certain areas, allowing the light paint to be removed unevenly. The more subtle the transition, the more interesting the product will look. And the most natural such scuffs look, if you designate them where they are formed from time: in places of frequent touching of things.
The final stage, which may not be performed, since the main task - artistic cracks - has been completed, this is the application of a pattern on the product. For this step, dekupazhnye cards were required: the necessary fragment is immersed in water at room temperature, and after 3-4 minutes it is carefully applied to the desired part. After drying, the extra parts are washed with a soft sandpaper, and the finished item is varnished for the last time.
Having mastered the technique of decoupage and the basics of giving the tree the effect of antiquity, you can give a 2nd life to those things that previously seemed irrelevant. In addition, friends can be involved in this process, which will make it possible to have a great time and discover creative skills. In addition, his own aged wood always has a touch of individuality and personal history.