The fashion for fur, regardless of its origin - natural or artificial - has returned, and this is noticeable not only in the increased demand for sheepskin coats and fur coats, but also in the appearance of a large number of accessories using this material. This is especially true of fur pompons.
Soft funny balls, which previously "sat" only on knitted hats, today can decorate a bag, any item of clothing, even writing materials. In the shops for such an accessory they ask for a lot of money, while at home it can be made in minutes and with less financial expenses.
Features of work with natural fur
First you should pay attention to the variety of material from which you can sew a pom-pom. Due to the fact that it is an accessory, especially not constantly in contact with the surfaces, most of the quality factors of the fur are not important. The only thing that professionals warn about is to make sure that the nap does not get out with every touch, since it is likely that one day you will think about washing the product with a pompon, and after this procedure there will suddenly be only a short-haired basis. As for the rest, you will sew from a mink, a rabbit or a muton - the choice is yours.
- If you use artificial material, for its safety in the subsequent use, it is likely that you will not have to worry. But with natural fur is not so simple: experts advise to wash it before starting work, especially if the skin is dyed, and there is a risk of subsequent molting.
- The composition of the soft homemade fur cleaning solution is as follows: detergent and salt are mixed in equal proportions (1 tsp each), 1 liter of warm water is added, as well as soda (1.5-2 tsp). The liquid is applied to the fur using a brush, then gently, in the direction of growth, distribute and wash off with warm clean water. It is necessary to dry the fur in a horizontal position, without using high temperatures: no hair dryer and batteries.
Ironing the flap is also undesirable, but if it is required, turn on the steam and smooth off the seamy side. After the shred is ready to work, it can be dyed if necessary: masters recommend using conventional ammonia hair dye. Or immediately proceed to cutting. But for this, too, you need to know some of the nuances.
- First, pay attention to the direction of the nap. In the long it is done very simply and by eye, but in the short one you want to hold your hand. If the pile is lying smoothly, you have correctly determined the "course". Cutting against this direction is prohibited.
- Secondly, remember that the fur is never cut with scissors, regardless of who owns it: this can only be done with a knife, razor or scalpel. Of course, this is a little longer and more difficult than with scissors, but the latter often damage the nap, as a result of which the finished product looks extremely untidy.
Professionals claim that the finished product should look down at the finished product, but this rule is allowed to be ignored. Especially if we are talking about a round pom-pom, with which it is easy to get confused, where is his top, and where is his bottom.
How to make a pompon of fur on the hat?
Of course, the general scheme of work for all such handmade accessories is the same, however, if you want to decorate your hat with a fur ball, you can make some mistakes and make the not too clean side, because this point pompon will be sewn to the fabric, which means all the flaws are hidden. If you intend to make a single, self-sufficient accessory, much more accuracy is required. That is why experts advise first to study step by step how to make a fur pompon with your own hands for a hat, and only after that take up more difficult tasks.
- For work, you will need a large piece of fur (approximately 15 * 15 cm or more, depending on the idea), as well as a thick thread, cardboard (dimensions are the same as that of the fur), a strong needle with a large eye, a knife or a scalpel, crayon or soap and soft filler. In his role, a synthetic winterizer usually performs, however, if it is absent, you can take even the most ordinary cotton wool or just pieces of cloth.
- Draw a pattern of the future pom-pom on cardboard: it’s best to make a circle, because the square is not always able to be properly assembled. Keep in mind that the product will be strapped, so the original diameter should be larger than the total. For example, for a pompom with a diameter of 7 cm, it is recommended to cut a circle with a diameter of 10 cm. As a guideline, any flat object of the desired shape can be used.
- Cut out the template, attach it to the fur patch from the wrong side, circle around with a piece of chalk. Using a sharp blade, trying not to bury it and work only with the base, repeat the outline of the template, cutting a circle. It is recommended to do this with minimal pressure: it is better if you follow this "route" several times, but guaranteed not to damage the pile.
- Thread a thick thread into the needle's eyelet and, keeping it single, walk along the contour of the product with a seam "over the edge". In this case, be sure to save a small tail of the thread at the very beginning, and make sure that after returning to the same point, you will also be able to leave the same piece.
- With the same thread start to fur in the volumetric ball. Beat the prepared filler in your hands so that it becomes as dense as possible, push it into the future pom-pom, and tighten the edges as tightly as possible. The hole that will remain must be very small. Tie the ends of the thread with a double knot; with a needle, move the inside in, twisting it with stitches.
Sewing a pompon made with your own hands on a hat or a beret, take care to do this in at least 4 points, especially if the decoration is large. And if you have a very large hole, walk over it with a needle with a thread threaded into it, creating a pattern crosswise: this kind of barrier will prevent the filler from falling out.
Peculiarities of creating fur pompons
In the season 2015/2016, pom-poms attached to the bag handle or mobile phone case, as well as woven scarves-nets, in the cells of which small fur balls settled, became fashionable. The algorithm is almost the same as the one above, but there are a few nuances.
- The filler in small pom-poms-accessories is often not a synthetic winterizer or fabric, but foam, cut out beforehand in the form of a sphere, or beads of the desired size. They are covered with a piece of fur, and the edges are tightened as tightly as possible. In this case, the fur can even be put on the glue.
- Soft fur can turn into a ball, even if it initially looks like a square, and very dense (for example, a muton) even from a circle does not fit well and bristly. In this case, experts advise to make a few darts from the edge to the center, close them, and only then tighten the pattern into a ball.
For maximum reliability, the cut-out part can be processed not only with an over-the-seam seam, but also on the overlock, as well as with an edging, which, however, is suitable only for large pom-poms for the cap, where this zone remains hidden. In addition, the edge can be tucked in and hemmed, but for this it is necessary to remove part of the pile from the front side in order to avoid excess volume.
In conclusion, it should be noted that even fur accessories should be monitored: do not allow exposure to high temperatures, clean the long pile with a cloth with a special compound, use a soft brush for a short time.