In order to look stylish and elegant, it is not necessary to spend a lot of money and time on shopping trips. With a little effort, a bit of free time and love for their work will help create your own unique clothing line. If you still do not know how to learn how to sew and cut by yourself, be sure to read the article to the end.
In it we will talk about the basic techniques of cutting and sewing, the necessary materials and tools, and also give some useful recommendations to novice needlewomen.
How to learn to sew and cut from scratch by yourself?
Sewing is a fascinating and interesting country of threads, fabrics and needles. But you can not live in a foreign country, not knowing and not following its rules and traditions. Before you start cutting and sewing, you will have to figure out how to choose the right fabric and cut the product, take measurements and much more.
Where to begin?
If, in spite of all the upcoming difficulties, you have decided that learning is still worth learning, then you can do it as follows:
- With the help of educational magazines and books. Magazines and books on cutting and sewing are not just hand-written textbooks, where you can find only verbal descriptions, but detailed illustrated manuals. Such educational literature will tell you how to learn how to sew and cut clothes for yourself.
- Take specialized courses in cutting and sewing. This is the easiest and best option for beginners masters. Collective sewing courses - not only excellent training, but also practice. If you don’t have such lessons in the city or you don’t have the time and desire to go there, that’s not a problem either. You can always watch online courses online.
What is needed for training?
Before plunging into study, you will have to stock up on special sewing accessories that will help and facilitate the whole way of obtaining knowledge. So, to get the necessary skills you will need:
- several types of scissors: tailors (for two or three fingers), serrated (for processing edges of fabric) and small (for working with decoration);
- a long line to draw clear lines on the fabric;
- measuring tape for taking measurements;
- thimble for hand sewing;
- a set of needles of various shapes and lengths;
- iron and ironing board;
- a set of pins for fastening parts;
- tailor paper or tracing paper to transfer the pattern to the fabric;
- a piece of tailor’s chalk or soap to mark the details and apply lines to the fabric;
- a sewing machine (for initial training, a regular straight-line sewing machine will be sufficient).
Important in the training is a properly prepared workplace. A removable lid made of hard material on a regular table will serve as an excellent work surface. It is also desirable that the sewing tools lay apart from each other, but always be freely available.
Learning to sew at home: the main stages
After all the necessary tools are prepared, a natural question arises - where to start? There are certain stages of proper cutting and sewing products.
Each master knows that tailoring consists of several stages, which can be divided into such subgroups:
- preparatory: the choice of patterns and taking measurements;
- cutting: transferring the pattern to the fabric and cutting details;
- final: basting parts and tailoring.
Consider each of them in more detail.
How to take measurements?
It is very important to take accurate measurements when taking measurements. Therefore, in the work, use only the new high-quality centimeter tape. In addition, there are still rules that are important to follow when taking measurements:
- For tailoring basic clothing, taking measurements takes place in underwear. When cutting outerwear, measurements are made on top of the main one.
- When taking measurements, it is worth taking a standing and comfortable posture for you.
- Measurements such as the hips and chest girth are best taken from behind. Therefore, if you make measurements on yourself, then ask someone for help.
All obtained results should be recorded in a workbook and rechecked several times.
How to cut the fabric?
For beginners it is best to take ready-made patterns from magazines as a basis and customize them to fit your dimensions - this way you will observe the greatest accuracy and good fit of clothes. Draw all the details on separate sheets of tracing paper, carefully cut them along the contour. Only then proceed to transfer the pattern to the fabric, observing the following rules:
- For each part, add 2 cm to the stock.
- Carefully read all the footnotes to work and transfer the patterns to the fabric.
- Make sure that the fabric while working with it does not slip and does not fidget on the working surface.
After all the patterns are transferred to the fabric, once again make sure that you have not forgotten or missed, and then proceed to cut the details.
Getting to the assembly of the product
Finished parts are fastened together with safety pins and are stitched together for convenience with a basting stitch manually. After the work is assembled in parts and stitched, carry out a fitting and, if necessary, make notes in the workbook.
How to learn to sew on a sewing machine from scratch?
The main tailoring of the product is possible only with the help of a sewing machine. If you have never used it before, then for a start, practice a little on the sample. All lines should be perfectly smooth and clear. To do this, move the fabric smoothly with your hands in precise but unsharp movements. Only after the sample has beautiful lines, proceed to stitching the main product.
Tips experienced masters
And finally, to prevent the most common mistakes of beginning dressmakers, I would like to give a few tips:
- Do not rush to finish the job faster. Carefully take measurements and record the results.
- Be sure to try on the worn product. After all, the only way to notice the errors in the measurements and cutting and make the necessary marks in time.
- Do not forget that each person has their own shape parameters. Therefore, use ready-made patterns, pre-fitting them to your size.
- Do not try to stitch the product on an upset sewing machine, it is best to first call the master. He will not only fix it, but also teach how to properly care for the tool.
Learning to sew and cut by yourself is a great idea. Doing things with your own hands, you will not only save money and time to buy them, but also be able to create your own unique style of dressing.