One-piece knitted products often look more successful than their “separated” counterparts, because they have no seams, which means they have no dangling threads, which often create an extra relief from the inside. The classic technology for making such a product is raglan: the armhole lines that are trapezoidal and extend to the front points of the neck. To cope with it at first glance is not easy, but the work is worth it.
How to knit raglan with needles from the bottom up and vice versa? Which way to choose, and what is the difference between them?
How to knit raglan knitting? Professional Tips
The peculiarity of the raglan sleeve is that the shoulder line is shifted down, a kind of diagonal. This direction is most often used in free silhouette things - sweaters, cardigans, when you need to increase the emphasis on the sloping shoulders, soften the lines.
- The raglan line assumes the presence of nakidov on both sides of the outer loops, which determines the width of the obtained "slice". In this case, the method of their implementation can be any - from a simple combination of a purl loop with 2-3 facial patterns to herringbone, braid, etc.
- You can start to knit raglan in several ways - the most common is to create all the details separately, while necessarily reducing the hinges for the junction. After the component parts of the product are assembled and sealed with a free thread. Less often (as it requires a special skill), skilled workers lead raglan from the neck, with a single piece, subsequently divided into front, back and sleeves. Here it is important not to forget to add hinges that are necessary for the joint. It is also possible the option of circular knitting, in which everything that was before the armhole, is combined and refined in a circle, taking into account the reduction of loops for raglan.
- It is important to remember that for children's products raglan is better to perform from the neck, so that you can subsequently increase the size of the product. If there is no “growth” orientation, it is possible to work both from below and from above.
In the process of knitting raglan, regardless of the way you work, there are several nuances. In particular, it is necessary to understand how to determine the direction and length of a given line.
- There is a universal table of the relationship between the size of a thing and the length of a line: it is focused not only on women's, but also children's and men's products. At the same time, in children, the values are fixed, and in adults, an increase of 4 cm is allowed. Thus, for a size of 44-46, a woman needs 25 loops of a raglan line. But a more accurate result will give an individual calculation.
To find out how many loops for raglan you need to dial, you need to decide from which point you will begin to work. If you knit raglan with the needles from the bottom up, you should draw a full pattern of the product (front shelf and back half, as well as part of the sleeve), while on the back of the neck should be absolutely straight.
- The area of the sleeve, which is grind off with the rest of the details, the horizontal lines need to be broken into 4 parts; when working with each face row, the loops are not connected, simply by shooting into a pin.
- Now you need to count half of the loops that fall on the girth of the neck of the front, split into 3 parts. If there is a balance (unequal division), it is transferred to the central part: the number of its loops should be a multiple of 3, and the side loops should be 2 and 1, respectively.
Thus, the decrease in the number of loops for raglan will be carried out in this way: in the center for each face row 3 loops go, on the sides - 1 and 2.
Raglan knitting from the bottom: a master class for beginners
Craftswomen assure that the technology itself changes the shoulder line does not belong to the category of complex, and the only thing you need to decide before you start - how to reduce the loop, and how to later connect the details, especially given the active status of a large number of loops.
- Tie each component of the product separately, starting from the elastic (if it is planned). You can use any scheme you like, but stop just before starting the armhole. This zone differs raglan from the usual shoulder line.
- Now transfer all the details to the circular needles and continue to work right up to the neck, diminishing the loops in the docking points according to the calculation made earlier. After the neck is knitted, do not forget to close the last row.
This is a general algorithm for working with raglan from below, however, it requires an important addition concerning loops-bundles. As already mentioned, there are several ways to do them.
- The easiest option is to reduce the width of the parts on the circular needles for 3 loops to the point of decrease, you need to put together 2 facial and 1 facial just knit. After the point of decrease, to reflect them mirrored - to knit one face, to collect two faces.
- A more elegant idea, forming air circles - for 5 loops to the point of decreasing 2, to assemble with facial ones, to make a nakid, again 2 to assemble with facial ones. After that, remove 1 face, tie the next one, pull 2 faces together with a tilt, and then double-coat again. Then this step is repeated.
Products made with raglan technology always look neat and solid. Know how to knit raglan with needles from the bottom up and back, you need every craftswoman. However, not all knitting patterns (patterns) are suitable for them, since adaptation to circular knitting is required, as a result, not patterns, but texture of yarn bring about zest.