Nuts on the dacha - of course, is no longer exotic, but not as frequent guests as it would be worth it. All because of this, of course, is the climate of the middle lane, requiring a fair amount of skill from gardeners: it is quite difficult to grow hazelnuts, walnuts or almonds in such conditions. However, it is much easier than, for example, hazel - not the cultivated form of hazelnuts, occasionally found on sale as a sapling. What you need to know, wanting to grow in the middle lane nuts?
howto growhazelnutof walnut?
Hazelnuts (the same hazel, but somewhat modified), perhaps, should be considered the most convenient nut for its cultivation in the middle lane without any special skills of the gardener. It takes root well, the crop gives, albeit not as high as at home, but quite sufficient to feast on homemade nuts. But in order to achieve the maximum result in this, it is necessary to adhere to certain rules and follow the advice of professionals.
- First of all, you can, of course, try to grow a nut out of a nut — strip a few copies of the shell and put it in the prepared soil, but it is impossible to predict their germination. Hazelnuts bought at a grocery store have most often already gone through temperature and not only processing, and therefore are practically unsuitable for germination. Therefore, it is best to contact a specialized store and purchase small, recently collected nuts.
- The probability of their germination will be maximum if you attend to this issue in the middle of autumn, and the seeds will be collected right before the sale. If it happens that the nuts are stale (you or the seller), they must be stratified: prepare for sowing, “wake up”. To this end, a large amount of clean sand passed through a sieve, or better yet, calcined in the oven is poured into the container (this will disinfect it). The sand is moistened, but not filled with water, and hazelnut kernels fall into it. They should be here for at least 110-120 days, while the container should stand in a cool (8-10 degrees) dark place - a storage room is ideal.
- Every 25-30 days, the nuts, along with the sand, are poured into another container to provide them with easy ventilation.
- After the stratification, hazelnuts can be planted: for this, the kernels are buried by 5-7 cm in the ground, the distance between them is almost not maintained: for 1 square meter. m. you can sow up to 45-50 nuts. When sowing, it is important to observe the composition of the soil: to provide hazelnuts a sufficient amount of sand and drainage mixture, because it likes friable, airy areas. Sowing is carried out in spring, towards the end of April, shoots sprout only after a year.
- The illumination of the area on which the nut will live does not play a special role, although it is undesirable to have strong shading, but it is necessary to carry out constant loosening. It is also important not to forget about timely watering: as soon as the earth dries out around the place of sowing, it is again moistened. And, of course, as long as the sapling does not extend 15–20 cm from the ground (and this is not earlier than next year), weed grass that can clog hazelnuts is constantly removed from the site. In general, its further cultivation is not difficult and consists only in timely watering, as well as rare (1-2 times a year) fertilization (organic, preferably traditional compost). If necessary, hazelnuts can be transplanted to a new place - it calmly transfers this procedure.
Peculiarities of growing a greekwalnut
- Growing a walnut in the middle lane is a bit more complicated than growing hazelnuts, although these schemes have many similarities. First, to ensure maximum germination, it is also recommended to buy nuts at specialized locations, rather than using those offered by grocery stores. The kernels should be easily removed from the shell, and after extraction, they are laid out under direct sunlight for 24-36 hours.
- Secondly, the same way as hazelnuts, walnuts must pass through the stage of obligatory stratification in the sand: the scheme of actions does not change - cleaned, sifted and calcined sand is filled into the container, walnut kernels are mixed with it, and moistened, after which the container is carried to a cool and dark place. The exposure period is 90-100 days, the temperature can not be lowered below 7 degrees.
- Walnut sowing in the open ground is also carried out in the middle of spring, while the core is laid with an edge and deepened by 10 cm. It is best to first dig a narrow small hole, and then cover the nut with earth - this way you will preserve the friability of the substrate above the core, as a result of which it will grow much easier. If it is warm outside, the shoots will appear by the middle of the 2nd week, when the weather drops, the moment can drag on until the beginning of the 3rd week. In any case, the first year all the bushes will grow together until they get stronger for transplanting. It is usually carried out next spring, when the taproot reaches 30 cm in length. When digging a walnut, you need to keep a clod of soil around the root, which will help not to harm the plant.
- In the process of growing walnuts in the middle lane, there is an important nuance: this is the grafting of a young tree. The fact is that if you decide to grow a nut out of a nut, no matter how hard you try to create comfortable conditions for it, it will not preserve the basic qualities of the mother bush and will start harvesting rather late. Therefore, cuttings will be required from the already fruited trees, preferably 3-4 years old. After such a procedure, the fruit may appear as early as the 7th year of the tree’s life, and if it is pruned annually, then it will be the 5th year.
- An important moment is wintering. Walnut is experiencing it well, but professionals advise to additionally cover the ground with a thick cloth, carefully wrapping the root zone of the trunk. Also, the tolerance of cold weather is influenced by caring for a tree at the end of summer - here it is desirable to slow down the intensity of irrigation, since the strengthening and thickening of the trunk begins, and an active supply of water will stimulate growth upwards.
How to grow a nut from a nut, no matter what kind of nut is selected? Be sure to stratify the seeds, wherever you buy them - this factor is fundamental for seed germination, and for future harvest. And, of course, do not forget about the nuances of caring for each individual walnut tree: the features of watering, the chemical composition of the soil and top dressing.