If you want to have a beautiful bush at home with shiny, dark leaves, then opt for coffee. It will not disappoint you, believe me! After all, a coffee tree is an unassuming plant, it only fears drafts and loves moisture. You yourself can easily control the growth of your bush or tree.
The appearance of the coffee tree
Coffee tree reaches a height of one and a half meters and even more. The leaves are shiny, dark green, wavy at the edges. Of course, you can hardly grow coffee for coffee beans. Conditions will not allow. Real coffee tree (Arabian coffee) You can grow houses from grains. After a while it may, under favorable conditions, bloom. After flowering coffee fruits. In each red-brown fruit fruit there are two coffee beans. Fruits ripen a little more than six months. If you wish, you can achieve fruiting of your tree or shrub, and even harvest a small crop.
The location of the coffee tree in the house
Eastern and western windows are a good fit, as the coffee tree prefers diffused light. It is important that the room where the plant is located is warm. Cold this southern plant endures poorly. It is ready to put up with him only in winter, in the period of its relative peace.
Coffee tree care
Coffee tree is not very whimsical to care. He is even advised to grow for beginners. The soil for the plant must be acidic. Because if it is not sour enough, the leaves on the coffee may discolor.
- Lighting. Scattered bright sunlight.
- Temperature. Well suited for coffee temperature 20 ° C-25 ° C. In winter, it should not fall below 14 ° C.
- Air humidity quite high. From time to time the plant must be sprayed with separated water. In the summer it is done more often.
- Watering coffee prefers ample. The soil should never dry out. Water the plant to soft water. To soften the water using special pills. You can also put a small bag of peat in a bucket of water and wait a day or two before watering.
- Breeds coffee beans or cuttings.
- Transplanted plant every second spring.
Feed the coffee tree from the end of spring until the end of summer twice a week. Potassium and nitrogen salts are used as a nutrient material. You can alternate feeding with salts of nitrogen and potassium with fertilizing with organic fertilizer. In the fall, they stop feeding. In winter, the plant is not fed.
When grown at home, the coffee tree does not particularly need to form the crown as in natural conditions. But still, every spring it is necessary to inspect the plant, cut dry shoots, as well as unnecessary, unnecessary. They thicken the crown. A little can be shortened and very long sagging shoots.
Nevertheless, try to interfere as little as possible with the normal physiological development of the plant. Cut the bush only as a last resort: when it becomes too big for the room.
Coffee Tree Pests and Diseases
- The main pests of the coffee tree are the scythe and the spider mite.
- If in winter the temperature falls below the allowable, then a black border appears on the leaves. The plant dies.
- With low air humidity leaves dry at the tips.
- When exposed to direct sunlight on the leaves, they turn yellow, the baked sheet tissue dies.
- When watering too much, the leaves of the coffee tree begin to rot and fall off.
- Watering with hard water also has a bad effect on the leaves. Brown spots appear on them and the ends are folded.
See also: How to grow tangerine tree?
I wonder why you decided to grow coffee? For the delight of your visual sensations? Or to brew coffee from your own coffee tree to feel yourself in warm countries? Or to surprise your loved ones coffee from a home plantation? Whatever the reason may cause you to grow your coffee tree in indoor conditions, it is important that you do not be disappointed in your choice.