Cast iron is a beautiful eco-friendly material that has been used for more than one century. The food in it is cooked faster, the products are steamed evenly, the dishes themselves retain heat for a long time. But cast iron has a big and serious drawback: it is very difficult to put in order after each use.
How to clean the cast iron pan from perennial carbon deposits or rust, without resorting to the services of specialists?
Cast iron cleaning: rules and methods
Before you start choosing a product that will be able to give the pan a pristine appearance, it should be noted that, unlike aluminum and ceramics, cast iron absorbs any odors and substances quickly and for a long time. It is only once to touch it with a sponge with a detergent, as you no longer get rid of its characteristic aroma, and the "chemistry" that was introduced into it. At the time of heating, chemical vapors will be released from the walls of the pan, which will mix with food. For this reason, to clean the cast iron pan at home, only safe formulations are used, and the dishes themselves are rinsed very well after that.
If nagar was formed inside, which occurs due to the not completely eliminated pieces of food, as well as the frequent use of animal and vegetable fats, it is recommended to use a mixture of coarse sea salt and regular table vinegar. For his lack of suitable wine or apple.
- The components are mixed so that a very thick gruel is obtained - accordingly, very little vinegar is needed. Salt is desirable to take 2-3 tablespoons, but the final volume depends on the dimensions of the pan.
- Lay the mixture with a thick layer on the bottom of the dish, hold for 5-10 minutes. After that, rub the contaminated areas with the hard side of a foam sponge, or even with a special metal sponge.
- Rinse the pan well with hot running water, rinse the procedure with cold water.
It is a little harder to clean the pan from a thick layer of soot: for this you have to mix the same coarse salt and soda in the same proportion. Sprinkle tightly on the bottom, pour water so as to obtain a liquid mass. Put on the fire, bring to a boil. If your cooker cools quickly, after that you need to move the pan to a hot (100 degrees) oven. If not, you can leave the burner turned off, covered with a lid. Wait an hour and clean with a stiff sponge.
- An alternative option for an old and dense layer of soot is to put the pan upside down on a baking tray covered with foil. Heat the oven to 250 degrees, warm up for 2 hours. After that, the pan is cooled, washed in acetic solution and cleaned with a sponge. The disadvantage of this method is smoke and fumes that appear in the process. It is better to do on the street, on an open fire.
- To clean the cast iron skillet from soot from the outside will help simple tools from the department of household chemicals - for example, Pemolux, Universal PD. Powder scatter on the surface, rub a few minutes and rinsed dishes.
- Rid the cast iron pan from rust can acetic solution: for this clean water and any vinegar in the house are mixed in equal proportions. The pan should be soaked in the resulting liquid for 5-6 hours, after which it is well cleaned with a sponge. The disadvantage of this method is that old rust will not go away - you will have to use high abrasive abrasive paper, or a special fleece nozzle for a drill, if you have one.
In conclusion, it should be recalled that the cast iron gets dirty faster than modern materials - aluminum, ceramics. So that you do not have to painfully search for a way to clean the cast-iron frying pan from the old deposit, you need to make sure that it does not arise: to calcine in the oven, after having been coated with vegetable oil, and to clean well after each use.