Perhaps, in every family there are cutlery from nickel silver. These are high-quality and durable, skillfully made spoons and forks, knives, spatulas, etc. They are not ashamed to serve a banquet table. A brand new set looks better than table silver. But bad luck, after a while, nickel silver begins to darken. A grayish-brown "patina" appears, traces of water stains. How to clean nickel silver spoons at home?
Why does nickel silver require cleaning?
To answer this question, you need to start to figure out: what is it nickel silver spoons? Melchior - the name of the material from which the devices are made. It is an alloy of copper, zinc and nickel. Often in the composition of the material is present and silver. Externally, cutlery is very similar to products made of pure silver. But unlike the latter, such a set is much cheaper. The alloy quietly withstands the effects of temperature, does not crumble, does not break and does not break. Metal is practically not subject to corrosion.
But copper and nickel are easily oxidized, especially in a humid environment. At first brownish specks appear. And if the products are not cleaned for a long time, then the oxide darkens, becoming bluish black.
Darkening on the spoons may appear due to improper storage conditions or inadequate care. It is not recommended to wash nickel silver products in the dishwasher. The metal does not tolerate communication with chlorine-containing and abrasive detergents. Chlorine will oxidize the appliances; scouring powder may damage the polish. Then, than to clean nickel silver spoons?
Daily maintenance of nickel silver cutlery
Wash cutlery from nickel silver taken by hand. In the water you can dilute a little detergent. The best way to wash: in cold water with the addition of ammonia.
After each washing or cleaning, cutlery and other utensils from nickel silver must be wiped dry and then polished with a felt cloth. So tableware will always be like new: without dark spots and dried water stains.
It is recommended to store the set in a tight cellophane bag or in a special resealable box.
Some owners of nickel silver items from time to time give up their "good" for cleaning in the jewelry workshop. Without further ado, you can go to the nearest store of household chemicals and buy a special tool for the care of products made of silver and nickel silver. How to clean nickel silver spoons at home? About this further.
We clean cupronickel independently
The above-mentioned methods of restoration of nickel-silver cutlery, although they solve the problem competently, are not always cost-effective. Let's see what to clean nickel silver spoons "cheap and angry"? What tools are suitable for this best?
- Toothpaste or powder - an excellent means of care for silver and nickel silver products. No proportions need to be observed, no multi-part mixtures to be prepared. Apply the paste / powder to the cloth and rub the devices well.
- Baking soda does an excellent job with cleaning darkened nickel silver appliances. Prepare a concentrated pasty solution of soda and rub the devices with it.
Attention! Although these two methods effectively eliminate darkening, diligent cleaning can damage the finish.
- Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan and dissolve in it 1 tbsp. l kitchen salt. There also drop the shell of two eggs and boil water. Prepared for cleaning appliances lower for a quarter of a minute in boiling water. Then polish the nickel silver devices with a woolen cloth.
- Similar to the previous method, you can slightly "boil" spoons with eggs. The effect is the same, and the solution is two in one. Water from under the eggs can also be used to clean nickel silver after. It is enough to soak in it devices for the night, and in the morning to wash in the usual way.
- In 1 liter of water dissolve 1 tbsp. l baking soda and 1 tbsp. l salt (proportions are preserved for a larger volume of fluid). At the bottom of the saucepan lay a sheet of foil, spread out over the devices of nickel silver. Fill all with prepared soda-saline solution and "boil" over low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Lemon juice and citric acid - the answer to the question of how to clean nickel silver spoons. Means dissolve in 1 liter of warm water (more liquid, more acid). Soak the nickel silver appliances for 2 hours. After - regular washing.
- As a solution for soaking, warm diluted vinegar will do. The procedure is similar to cleaning with lemon juice. Lemon and vinegar are also suitable for the restoration of bulk nickel-chop dishes.
As you can see, homemade ways to care for nickel silver spoons are very simple and not expensive. And if you comply with the conditions of washing and storage, then additional cleaning of cutlery from this material is not needed.