Perhaps every hostess faced such a problem as scum in the kettle. Its appearance is associated with the hardness of drinking water. Scale is formed due to the deposition of salt, metal and mineral substances. We will discuss how to remove scale in the teapot in order not to damage its surface.
Ignore the problem can not
Despite the fact that filtration systems are installed in almost every house, this will not save from the formation of scale in electric or ordinary kettles. Scale is salt deposits. The intensity of the formation of white flakes and plaque on the walls and bottom of the dishes is directly related to the concentration of salts in our drinking water. Scale should be removed not only for the safety of their health. This problem cannot be ignored, since scale can lead to premature breakdown of the electric kettle or thinning of its walls.
The layer of plaque on the walls and bottom of the kettle does not allow direct contact of the heating element with water, which is why the steel heats up to unacceptable limits. And if in the electric kettle the heating element fails in the first place, the walls become thinner in the usual way, which will lead to the formation of gaps or rust. In addition, entering the body, salt deposits deposited in the organs of the genitourinary system, which may lead to the development of serious pathologies.
Next we look at the most popular and effective ways to remove scale in teapots. But first of all I would like to draw attention to preventive measures. To prevent scale formation, take a note of a few simple rules:
- daily wash the walls and bottom of the kettle with warm water using a soft sponge;
- use only filtered softened water;
- after each use, it is advisable to drain the rest of the water from the kettle so that it does not stagnate and does not provoke the formation of plaque;
- it is easier to remove small layers of scale, so do not wait until the heating element is visible behind the salt deposits.
Careful care of the enamel kettle
In spite of the fact that progress has gone far ahead and many of us prefer to use electric kettles, enameled ones have not stood aside. However, they are also not insured against the formation of scale. Housewives need to know how to remove scale in the enamel kettle, so as not to damage the surface of its walls and bottom.
It is recommended to carry out the cleaning procedure at least once a month. So you can easily get rid of the salt deposits that appear and not damage the surface of the enameled kettle.
To date, there are many different chemical means to eliminate scale. Through trial and error, you can choose the one that suits you. If you want to give preference to natural homemade ingredients, then try making an excellent antiscale agent yourself. Let's look at the most popular ways to clean enameled teapots.
Method number 1:
- Fill the enamel kettle with water, put it on a moderate heat and bring to a boil.
- After the water boils, do not set aside the kettle from the heat. Add to the water baking soda in the amount of 5 tbsp. l based on 2 liters of fluid.
- Mix and in this form boil water for 25 minutes over low heat.
- After the allotted time has passed, we put the kettle off the stove and wait until the water has cooled completely.
- Next, we arm ourselves with a wooden spatula or spoon and scrape away the scaling that has formed. In no case do not pour boiling water into the kettle or pour it with cold water. Temperature differences can cause enamel cracking and damage to the walls.
Method number 2
Have you ever suspected that your teapot will be cleaned from ordinary potato peel? After you have cleaned this root, do not rush to throw out the skin. Cut it into equivalent strips and place in a kettle with water. In this form, boil water for 20 minutes. After cooling, thoroughly wash the bottom and walls of the kettle with a soft sponge.
Method number 3
Perfectly cope with scum and regular lemon:
- To do this, cut a whole lemon into equivalent squares and tightly tamp them in the spout of the kettle.
- The kettle itself, as usual, is filled with water.
- Boil water for 10 minutes and enjoy the result: no trace will remain from the scale. By analogy, some housewives use pear or apple peel.
Method number 4
Perhaps you have repeatedly heard that carbonated drinks of famous brands, for example, Coca-Cola or Fanta, help to cope with scum:
- Fill the kettle with a bottle of soda, and then pour clean water to the brim.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and set aside from the heat.
- After 60 minutes, the scale completely dissolves, and you only need to rinse the inside of the kettle with clean water.
Secrets of hostesses: extend the life of the electric kettle
As already mentioned, many hostesses prefer to use electric kettles. It is very important to know how to remove scale in an electric kettle, so as not to damage its integrity and the surface of the heating element. The easiest way is to purchase a ready-made chemical agent. If you want to try your grandmother’s teapot cleaning methods, then strictly follow the prescription proportions.
Acetic Acid - A Powerful Solvent Scale
One of the most effective ways to remove scale from the walls and bottom of an electric kettle is acetic acid. For such a cleansing procedure, it is recommended to use table vinegar with 9% concentration:
- To begin with, fill the electric kettle with purified water for 2/3 parts.
- The remaining 1/3 part we add vinegar.
- To correctly calculate the proportions, pay attention to the maximum volume of the kettle. If the maximum permissible mass of water is, for example, 2 liters, then 1.3 liters will be water, and the rest - table vinegar.
- Bring the liquid to a state of boiling, and then wait for it to cool completely. At this time, table vinegar, as acid, will enter into a chemical reaction with deposited salts on the walls and bottom of the kettle and crush them into tiny particles, which can easily be eliminated with an ordinary soft sponge.
After carrying out such a procedure, the inner surface of the kettle must be thoroughly and repeatedly washed to eliminate the remnants of table vinegar. It is impossible to neglect this rule, since acid, entering the body, can provoke intoxication. Now you know how to remove the vinegar scum in a kettle.
Mild cleaning of the electric kettle
Citric acid can be used to clean the internal surface of the kettle from scale. It also chemically reacts with scale particles, but is considered a softer cleaner than table vinegar. The main thing is to know the rules, how to remove scale in a kettle with citric acid:
- Take one packet of citric acid and pour it into an electric kettle filled with water.
- Bring the water to a boil, and then cool the kettle.
If from the first time the layer of scale has not completely dissolved, repeat the procedure. Do not forget that after cleaning the inside surface of the kettle must be rinsed under running water. It is best to boil the kettle and drain the water 2-3 times.
What method of cleaning teapots to choose is up to you. Remember that it is much easier to clean a small layer of scale. Perform the procedure at least 1 time per month. Be sure to consider the characteristics of your kettle and the material from which it is made. Particular attention should be paid to the electric kettle. If they are not properly cleaned, you risk damaging the heating element and disable the device. Good luck to you!